Biden drops "free college" from his massive taxing and spending bill

That's what you liberals promise every time you do this, Lesh and every time it's the Middle Class that ends up paying more in taxes to pay for your give a ways. It's always a "small increase" in taxes and only for the "rich"!
Nobody with half a brain buys the bullshit anymore...
Taxes on the middle class have not gone up on a Federal level.

State and local taxes have...largely because of Republican edicts

Taxes on the wealthy HAVE gone DOWN...alarmingly

Taxes on the middle class have not gone up on a Federal level.

State and local taxes have...largely because of Republican edicts

Taxes on the wealthy HAVE gone DOWN...alarmingly
With all due respect, Lesh? Are you on crack? I live in Florida BECAUSE they don't have a State income tax! Massachusetts...where I'm from...is sarcastically known as Taxachusetts by it's residents because of the high levels of taxes they hit residents with!

With all due respect, Lesh? Are you on crack? I live in Florida BECAUSE they don't have a State income tax! Massachusetts...where I'm from...is sarcastically known as Taxachusetts by it's residents because of the high levels of taxes they hit residents with!
Again...you're talking about local and state taxes...NOT Federal

In my day if you couldn't afford college... you got two jobs or in my case you joined the military and let them pay your way...and because you were paying for it you didn't take BS woke classes that did you zero good in life....

In my day if you couldn't afford college... you got two jobs or in my case you joined the military and let them pay your way...and because you were paying for it you didn't take BS woke classes that did you zero good in life....
Yup, exactly. Or you were bright and won academic scholarships to a four-year college, and worked a job in addition.

Or you started at a cheap community college (FREE if you are low-income) and reduced the cost of a college degree by 40% right there. You got good grades and won an academic transfer scholarship, cutting your tuition in half again.

Or you took a job with a university that let its employees take classes for free, and got your degree that way.

Or you stayed at home ages 18 - 19, working full-time and saving your entire pay (minus a little entertainment expense), and then started a state university at 20, paying almost all of it with your two years of earnings, plus a part-time job.

IOW, there are tons of ways to get a college degree. But in the leftist World of Entitlement, the only solution is to make someone else pay for it.

You're talking about a day when people had pride and didn't take handouts unless it was do or die.

Jill Biden Says Free Community College Off Table for Build Back Better Bill

''First lady Jill Biden said that two years of tuition-free community college won’t be part of the Democrats’ stalled child-care, healthcare and climate package, as she addressed a gathering of community college educators.

“Congress hasn’t passed the Build Back Better legislation yet. And free community college is no longer part of that package,” the longtime community college professor said Monday during remarks to the 2022 Community College National Legislative Summit...''
/----/
1644325930821.png

Yup, exactly. Or you were bright and won academic scholarships to a four-year college, and worked a job in addition.

Or you started at a cheap community college (FREE if you are low-income) and reduced the cost of a college degree by 40% right there. You got good grades and won an academic transfer scholarship, cutting your tuition in half again.

Or you took a job with a university that let its employees take classes for free, and got your degree that way.

Or you stayed at home ages 18 - 19, working full-time and saving your entire pay (minus a little entertainment expense), and then started a state university at 20, paying almost all of it with your two years of earnings, plus a part-time job.

IOW, there are tons of ways to get a college degree. But in the leftist World of Entitlement, the only solution is to make someone else pay for it.
The cost of college has exploded to such a level in the past forty years there is no way that you can pay for it like I did back then. I took a year off after high school working construction 7 days a week through that summer and then bartended nights starting in the fall...a job that I kept all through college. If I remember correctly my tuition at that time was about $1,200 a semester...a sum that I could manage without taking out loans. Tuition now at the same institution is $19,000 a semester! Would the people running higher education kindly explain how the costs to teach someone had increased THAT much? If Democrats really want to make college affordable for everyone then they need to ask colleges to stop price gouging American families...forcing them to take out huge loans to get their kids through college!

The cost of college has exploded to such a level in the past forty years there is no way that you can pay for it like I did back then. I took a year off after high school working construction 7 days a week through that summer and then bartended nights starting in the fall...a job that I kept all through college. If I remember correctly my tuition at that time was about $1,200 a semester...a sum that I could manage without taking out loans. Tuition now at the same institution is $19,000 a semester! Would the people running higher education kindly explain how the costs to teach someone had increased THAT much? If Democrats really want to make college affordable for everyone then they need to ask colleges to stop price gouging American families...forcing them to take out huge loans to get their kids through college!
A big reason it exploded is because government is subsidizing it via federal student loans. That means colleges can charge uo the wazoo - since short-sighted students will borrow to the max - so they can build climbing walls, water features, elaborate dining facilities, and living quarters much better than I could afford as an entry-level college grad. Some of these campuses look like a 4-star resort!

Let’s get back to cost-effective dorms with shared baths down the hall, big dining rooms where you ate all meals (except weekends when you when out with friends), and basic sports building.

Yup. This country needs more of two emotions:

1) pride in accomplishing something

2) shame in expecting other people to provide it to you
Save your emotional bullshit mmmmmkay?

Last edited:

I was in school during the baby boom generation. Our classes had anywhere from 35 to 40 kids in them. Out of the 40 kids, perhaps 10 actually went to college.

it's not that the cost went up so much although it plays a part, it's simple supply and demand. Out of a class of 40 today (I know there are not classes that big anymore) I would be willing to bet that at least 30 of them end up in college. The commies want to make even more expensive yet by providing government money to get more kids in there. After all, it's well known colleges are leftist indoctrination centers.

I was in school during the baby boom generation. Our classes had anywhere from 35 to 40 kids in them. Out of the 40 kids, perhaps 10 actually went to college.

it's not that the cost went up so much although it plays a part, it's simple supply and demand. Out of a class of 40 today (I know there are not classes that big anymore) I would be willing to bet that at least 30 of them end up in college. The commies want to make even more expensive yet by providing government money to get more kids in there. After all, it's well known colleges are leftist indoctrination centers.
I see a correlation between the willingness of American families to incur huge student loan debt and the rapid increase of the cost of tuition, Ray! The cost of a college tuition compared to the costs of other things has sky rocketed. Colleges have become more expensive because of student loan debt. My friend who's daughter went to USC as an out of State student spent somewhere in the area of $250,000 to send her to that school. That's absurd but colleges get what they're asking because we haven't told them no!

I see a correlation between the willingness of American families to incur huge student loan debt and the rapid increase of the cost of tuition, Ray! The cost of a college tuition compared to the costs of other things has sky rocketed. Colleges have become more expensive because of student loan debt. My friend who's daughter went to USC as an out of State student spent somewhere in the area of $250,000 to send her to that school. That's absurd but colleges get what they're asking because we haven't told them no!
It’s because the colleges can get their inflated prices because the government is giving out subsidized loans, and then private companies are lending out more above and beyond that. Students have been convinced, or their parents are falling for the ”value” in paying for an expensive and prestigious private school, that they are incurring unbelievable debt.

You can get a fine education at one’s state university, at an average cost of $10,000 in tuition per year (link below). Let’s double that to allow for room and board, and it is $20,000 a year, or $80,000 total. Figure a part-time job during school earning $5,000 and a summer job earning another $5,000, and you have covered half that. Remaining debt for the whole four years would be $40,000 - a car note.

If that’s still too expensive, start at community college which would cut your expenses to a total for the full degree to $60,000 total. And that assumes no academic transfer scholarship, which is often available to students with a 3.0. If your kid gets that, the last two years at State U can be cut in half, meaning around $10,000 for first two years at CC and $15,000 per year for last two years - or $40,000 total. Considering your kid can put his or her earnings toward tuition, you are then down to a total debt load of $20,000 or less.

And we won't tell them no. People who have the money will spend anything for their kids college education. People who don't will just go into massive debt trying to keep up with the Jones's. I know this because I watched my family do this. My nephew and niece for example. My nephew got a Masters. After his divorce of a seven year marriage, he couldn't afford to keep the apartment by himself. In his 30's he moved in back with his mother for the sole purpose of paying off his student loans.

They did okay but only for the reason of a very wealthy Uncle passing away. If not for that, my nephew may have lived with my sister until his early 40's. My niece moved to Florida with her degree in biology. She was a waitress at a restaurant the entire time until she hurt herself. She's still doing fine. She met some very energetic guy who's father runs his own company that he will eventually take over. I'm sure his father is paying him fine now.

But others are not so lucky. After graduation they can't afford a house, can't afford to have children. The CDC attributes our low infant mortality rate on women having children at a much later age. They can't afford to have children during their prime years, pay off their loans, and have children even after they get their careers going.

Forum List

Back