Biden climate envoy John Kerry warns world has nine years to prevent catastrophe

The world has until the end of the decade to halt the most catastrophic effects of climate change, the new US climate envoy warned on Monday.

John Kerry, the former US secretary of state, told the Climate Adaptation Summit that the worldā€™s poorest countries face ā€œunliveable conditionsā€ by 2030 in a worst-case scenario.

He acknowledged that America had been absent from the international effort to tackle climate change during Donald Trumpā€™s presidency but said that the country ā€œis proud to be backā€.

ā€œThree years ago, scientists gave us a stark warning. They said we have 12 years to avoid the worst consequences of climate change,ā€ he told the Netherlands-hosted summit, which was held online.

ā€œWe have nine years left, and I regret my country has been absent for three of those years.ā€

Mr Kerry pointed to President Joe Bidenā€™s executive order to rejoin the Paris Agreement on his first day in office as evidence that the US was committed to the fight.

He said the US stood ready to tackle global warming in unprecedented ways and vowed to announce a new climate plan as soon as practicable.

He did not give a timeframe on when new measures would be ready but marked increased climate funding, better co-operation with international bodies and making US climate data more widely available as priorities.

You poor Progs, you'll be dead in 9 years.
Funny I have been hearing that prediction for about thirty years now.

The world has until the end of the decade to halt the most catastrophic effects of climate change, the new US climate envoy warned on Monday.

John Kerry, the former US secretary of state, told the Climate Adaptation Summit that the worldā€™s poorest countries face ā€œunliveable conditionsā€ by 2030 in a worst-case scenario.

He acknowledged that America had been absent from the international effort to tackle climate change during Donald Trumpā€™s presidency but said that the country ā€œis proud to be backā€.

ā€œThree years ago, scientists gave us a stark warning. They said we have 12 years to avoid the worst consequences of climate change,ā€ he told the Netherlands-hosted summit, which was held online.

ā€œWe have nine years left, and I regret my country has been absent for three of those years.ā€

Mr Kerry pointed to President Joe Bidenā€™s executive order to rejoin the Paris Agreement on his first day in office as evidence that the US was committed to the fight.

He said the US stood ready to tackle global warming in unprecedented ways and vowed to announce a new climate plan as soon as practicable.

He did not give a timeframe on when new measures would be ready but marked increased climate funding, better co-operation with international bodies and making US climate data more widely available as priorities.

You poor Progs, you'll be dead in 9 years.

Itā€™s been nine years for over thirty years now. Tipping point after tipping point comes and goes, and no one ever notices.

Forum List

Back