Biden Blames GOP for Virginia Tech Killings

red states rule

May 30, 2006
It did not take long - but the Dems are now trying to use the VA shootings for political gain

Joe Biden, also know for several racist statements, is now saying the GOP is to blame for the shootings

I must admit - Biden did wait longer then I thought the left would before starting the blame game

Biden Blames GOP for Virginia Tech Killings

Sen. Joe Biden, a Democratic Party candidate for president in 2008, on Thursday blamed the Republicans for the Virginia Tech killings and a string of events that have made news in the past few years.

Speaking at Al Sharpton's National Action Network event in New York, Biden said President Bush, Newt Gingrich and Karl Rove are responsible for what he called "the politics of polarization."

Biden said Republicans have created an environment that brings bad things to the United States.

"I would argue, since 1994 with the Gingrich revolution, just take a look at Iraq, Venezuela, Katrina, what's gone down at Virginia Tech, Darfur, Imus. Take a look. This didn't happen accidentally, all these things," he said.

This is not the first time Biden has said something outlandish.

In a February interview with the New York Observer, Biden questioned the credentials of Sen. Barack Obama, a first-term-senator, who is also running for president. Biden called him "the first mainstream African-American who is articulate and bright and clean and a nice-looking guy." This did not sit well with many African-Americans, including Sharpton and Jesse Jackson, both of whom have run for president in the past.

During a 2006 conversation with an Indian-American political activist, Biden said: "In Delaware, the largest growth of population is Indian-Americans, moving from India. You cannot go to a 7/11 or a Dunkin' Donuts unless you have a slight Indian accent. I’m not joking."

During his first presidential bid in 1987, Biden told one New Hampshire voter who questioned his law school grades that: "I think I probably have a much higher IQ than you do."

© 2007 NewsMax. All Rights Reserved.

Biden's point is that the republican party in the last 12 years or so has been responsible for the mean tone in American politics... and that mean spirited nature has spread throughout society..... now maybe it was in society first and the republican party is merely a reflection of it, but I don't think so. I know that, in Maine, for example, Bill Cohen and George Mitchell were not only senators on opposite sides of the aisle, they were close friends who collaborated on a novel, Men of Zeal ... that sort of iter-party comraderie is dead and I say that it died with Newt and Ken Starr. Others can claim other beginnings.... they are welcome to it...but it doesn't really matter who started it at this point.... it is the way we do politics these days, and clearly, the side that offers the olive branch first gets their legs chopped off.

I think both parties are responsible for the divisiveness, intransigence, and overall nasty tone in politics and the country today. I would trace it back to that exercise in "gotchya politics" that was the Clinton impeachment. That was, IMO, a waste of political capitol. Most Americans really didn't care, things were good, so what if Clinton was diddling an intern? So he lied under oath about it, granted it was stupid, but I don't think it was worthy of impeachment. From that point on I am of the opinion that Democrats vowed to "get" the next Republican president. They were intent on getting the Republicans. And I'm not saying their feelings aren't justified, the Republicans did it with Clinton, I suppose turn about is fair play. The net result, however, is that it is a vicious circle that shows no sign of coming to a conclusion. Do you think it will end with this administration? No way. It won't matter who sits in the big chair next, the people sent to represent us have forgotten why they are there. It is now instinctual for them to snipe at one another, to look for the worst in each other. It's Pavlovian for them to point the finger at each other when it comes time to assign blame, another of their favorite pasttimes. And who ultimately suffers? We do.

This of course trickles down to the extremes of both parties. Those whose blind adherence to the most extreme ideologies of their party makes it impossible for them to compromise. It emboldens them and makes them shout louder than anyone else, making people believe that the words and beliefs they spout are the words and beliefs of everyone associated with that particular party.

This is true for both sides of the aisle.

Biden's point is that the republican party in the last 12 years or so has been responsible for the mean tone in American politics... and that mean spirited nature has spread throughout society..... now maybe it was in society first and the republican party is merely a reflection of it, but I don't think so. I know that, in Maine, for example, Bill Cohen and George Mitchell were not only senators on opposite sides of the aisle, they were close friends who collaborated on a novel, Men of Zeal ... that sort of iter-party comraderie is dead and I say that it died with Newt and Ken Starr. Others can claim other beginnings.... they are welcome to it...but it doesn't really matter who started it at this point.... it is the way we do politics these days, and clearly, the side that offers the olive branch first gets their legs chopped off.

I'm beginning to think I've misread you for I don't know how many months. I thought you were a Democrat, but America first. Over the past couple of weeks, I'm noting more a partisan than American. See for me, when one of 'my' party screws up, like Trott did, I call them out. Not just Trott, but also 'bridge to nowhere', before it became popular. Then there was Gonzales, someone that I thought should have been gone long ago, for different reasons. We are not even addressing all the times I've said the administration has f'd up with communicating with the electorate, much less the party. Or where conservatives think the administration is f'd up.

I'd love to see the true patriotic Democrats holding their leadership to the same standard as I want from the conservatives.

I'm beginning to think I've misread you for I don't know how many months. I thought you were a Democrat, but America first. Over the past couple of weeks, I'm noting more a partisan than American. See for me, when one of 'my' party screws up, like Trott did, I call them out. Not just Trott, but also 'bridge to nowhere', before it became popular. Then there was Gonzales, someone that I thought should have been gone long ago, for different reasons. We are not even addressing all the times I've said the administration has f'd up with communicating with the electorate, much less the party. Or where conservatives think the administration is f'd up.

I'd love to see the true patriotic Democrats holding their leadership to the same standard as I want from the conservatives.

I do hold my leadership to the same standard. Show me where I have not. I am a democrat, and I do love my country. I am sickened by the mean spirited tone of politics today....I was really proud of the fact that MY two senators were of different parties but great friends.... I myself am great friends with republicans at my church and at my job.... I myself have worked for state legislative democratic leaders and have watched them nuture and value friendships across the aisle and watched well meaning people from both sides come together to make good policy....my comments were my observation that collegiality is dead in Washington.... and it doesn't really matter who started it or who continues it, it will be the way we do politics in America, I fear...I believe it is the new paradigm. sad but true.

I do hold my leadership to the same standard. Show me where I have not. I am a democrat, and I do love my country. I am sickened by the mean spirited tone of politics today....I was really proud of the fact that MY two senators were of different parties but great friends.... I myself am great friends with republicans at my church and at my job.... I myself have worked for state legislative democratic leaders and have watched them nuture and value friendships across the aisle and watched well meaning people from both sides come together to make good policy....my comments were my observation that collegiality is dead in Washington.... and it doesn't really matter who started it or who continues it, it will be the way we do politics in America, I fear...I believe it is the new paradigm. sad but true.

And you hold that leadership to account where? Of course, you may think that all Democratic leadership is perfect, or above all Republican leaders?

And you hold that leadership to account where? Of course, you may think that all Democratic leadership is perfect, or above all Republican leaders?

when my leadership does something that I need to hold them accountable for, I certainly will. Nothing that Reid or Pelosi has done since assuming their leadership roles has earned my displeasure. Everybody was saying how divisive and damaging Howard Dean would be to the party and all he did was orchestrate a nationally coordinated congressional campaign that swept the republicans out of power in congress. What would YOU like me to hold my leadership accountable for?

when my leadership does something that I need to hold them accountable for, I certainly will. Nothing that Reid or Pelosi has done since assuming their leadership roles has earned my displeasure. Everybody was saying how divisive and damaging Howard Dean would be to the party and all he did was orchestrate a nationally coordinated congressional campaign that swept the republicans out of power in congress. What would YOU like me to hold my leadership accountable for?

Ah so, the Democratic leadership in your opinion has performed at par or above. Great to hear it. "gag."

Ah so, the Democratic leadership in your opinion has performed at par or above. Great to hear it. "gag."

I said they have done nothing that has earned my displeasure. I would not expect you to agree. And trust me.... if anyone has a right to "gag", it is ME who can and ought to "gag" at Bush and Cheney and Rummy and Gonzo and Rove and Asscroft and and and...... it takes a set to complain about the quality of MY party's leadership given that team of morons for your side.

I said they have done nothing that has earned my displeasure. I would not expect you to agree. And trust me.... if anyone has a right to "gag", it is ME who can and ought to "gag" at Bush and Cheney and Rummy and Gonzo and Rove and Asscroft and and and...... it takes a set to complain about the quality of MY party's leadership given that team of morons for your side.

And so you have already. Seriously, if you don't see some of the problems, you are part of them.

Like I said, the brighter of both parties recognize their weakest links. You seem determined to be amongst them, thus you are to the 'left' what RSR is to the 'right.' Is that really where you wish to be?

I see Nancy Pelosi announcing her 100 hour agenda and accomplishing it. I see Harry Reid holding fast against continuing to allow Bush to run his stupid war with business as usual and no congressional oversight. I see democratic leadership standing up to Bush and not giving him a blank check for more of the same in Iraq.

And if you really want to earn my enmity, compare me to that asshole RSR just one more time. that will certainly seal the deal.

I have tried to remain cordial with you throughout... comparing me to him is the biggest possible insult you could possibly throw my way. I would suggest and request that you don't do it again.

New Topics

Forum List

Back