Bet you didn't know this.

redneck.jpg

Please share something you think most people didn't know about.

I'm guessing not many people knew ( or even wondered) that passenger planes never
fly over Antarctica.

Technically there are sight seeing planes that do fly over Antractica. Just no regular commercial lines. One of the planes crashed into a mountain and killed a few hundred people back in the 70's

I'm guessing not many people knew ( or even wondered) that passenger planes never
fly over Antarctica.

Technically there are sight seeing planes that do fly over Antractica. Just no regular commercial lines. One of the planes crashed into a mountain and killed a few hundred people back in the 70's

Planes generally won't fly directly over the north or south poles either because it can make their compasses go haywire or something like that.

fly over Antarctica.

Planes generally won't fly directly over the north or south poles either because it can make their compasses go haywire or something like that.

It does. It was part of the reason that plane crashed. IIRC they couldn't read the compass, were sent on a different than normal route they had no experience with, were confused about where they were on map due to low visibility and hit the side of the mountain at full speed. I saw something about it on a youtube one time. I watch lots of plane youtubes LOL.

In the spirit of the thread, I have been told that our aircraft carriers can travel almost as fast backwards as they can forwards, but they don't like to do it except in national emergency/life or death situations because the props are more vulnerable when they are zipping along at 65 knots in reverse. Apparently they are capable of much much faster speeds than they run but 65/70 are the normal operating limits before they start risking structural issues with the boat.

Bet you didn't know there are
8 times as many atoms in a teaspoonful of water as there are teaspoonfuls of water in the Atlantic ocean

A teaspoon of water (about 5 mL) contains 2×1023 water molecules, but each water molecule is comprised of 3 atoms: two hydrogen atoms and one of oxygen. Moreover, if you’d laid down end to end each water molecule from a teaspoon down end to end, you’d end up with a length of 50 billion km — 10 times the width of our solar system.
https://www.zmescience.com/other/feature-post/10-quick-scientific-facts-will-blow-mind/

Christopher Columbus did not discover America

There were plenty of Indians already here by the time he found his way here

Kids are told CC discovered America but nobody seems to realize that Indians were already here

So we do not know who discovered America

a fake holiday

in 1911 this story was ran that George Washington was not really his name

the Times presented this convoluted history of the Washington family showing that the Washingtons were once known as De Hertburn, but changed their names to reflect their estate, called Wessyngton, which was the Norman spelling of Washington. This happened generations before George was born.

thinks that make you go hmmmmm

Christopher Columbus did not discover America

There were plenty of Indians already here by the time he found his way here

Kids are told CC discovered America but nobody seems to realize that Indians were already here

So we do not know who discovered America

a fake holiday
My parents always encouraged me to read the encyclopedia and go to the library, so by the time I made it to high school, I thought I was smarter than some of my teachers. Well guess what got me thrown out of my 10th grade American history class ......arguing that Columbus did not discover America, and the native Americans had already arrived here across the Bering Straight thousands of years earlier.

Forum List

Back