Best military jet 1945-1970

Firehorse

Free Thinker
Sep 4, 2011
I was really pained about where to break the block of time up, it seemed that "great" aircraft were being made and made obsolite in about 5 years ... So I decided to group everything together and let the best craft win

nominees ...

Mig-17 and 21
Too many F designs by the us to put to number, from the Phantom, to Saber to Thunderchief to Starfighter ... And then the ultimate darkhorse, the one without the "F" ... B-52

So .... Let the debate begin

The Hawker Harrier is a clear winner in my book, such a versitile aircraft used throughout the world with an excellent durability and service record. This Jet proved its worth during the Falklands war.

Well I was gonna' go with the F-15 but I see it didn't enter service until 1975. So I'll have to say the F-86 followed closely by the F-4.

Boeing F/A-18E Super Hornet ? My old Boss used to fly them in the Navy and said they were the best . They sure look formidable.

ill nominate the sky raider. ww2, korea and nam

RtSideGray.jpg

I did cut the date to '70 to avoid the derailing the next thread "modern jets" which would include the 15, 18, 22, Su-27 etc ... The harrier was a great find entering service just under the deadline in '69...

I think the harrier was revolutionary and the idea is still effecting current designs. I think that in terms of the block of time, I'm not sure if the revolutionary aspect of the Harrier is enough to push it past the flexability and longevity of the F-4. It was (arguably of course) the best pure air supremecy fighter in it's day and as the airframe aged, took on more attack and wild-weasels roles.

The time block is just massive. The F-86 during it's prime swept the Migs from the air. It's role over Korea cannot be overstated in proving that the leagions of Mig-17 were not as big a problem as they at first appeared.

The thunderchief is actually a fav of mine. The supersonic medium bomber had a good look about her with the internal bomb bay. And there are few planes during the times slot that could boost about more toughness.

Then we get the B-52 ... This plane first flew IN THE '50 and was still a factor 50+ years later in Iraq. That is a SERIOUS amount of longevity when you concider the it was built to face the Mig-17 and in Iraq was deployed against the inept forces in Iraq which included the Mig-29. It's even being talked about turning the stratofortress into a air supiriority weapons platform, loading it with as many long range air to air missiles it could carry and let a small number of F-22 Raptors guide all those air to air missiles to their targets ... Two Raptors and a B-52 in this configuation in a standoff position would carve whole squardrons of enemy aircraft from the sky.

As mush as my Naval heart wants me to vote for the Phantom, the B-52 has a sevice record that has no equal

Not sure if the B52 was all that, granted it did see a fair bit of active service but when compare to the Avro Vulcan it was and still is stone age as well as being not much quicker than the Russian "Bear", the Vulcan had a higher capacity in terms off useable bomb load and was a hell of a lot faster capable of reaching mach 1, though the Vulcans never saw any active combat bar the Falklands they were light years ahead of the B52 IMO.

I was really pained about where to break the block of time up, it seemed that "great" aircraft were being made and made obsolite in about 5 years ... So I decided to group everything together and let the best craft win

nominees ...

Mig-17 and 21
Too many F designs by the us to put to number, from the Phantom, to Saber to Thunderchief to Starfighter ... And then the ultimate darkhorse, the one without the "F" ... B-52

So .... Let the debate begin

F-4

F4_phantom.jpg

Not sure if the B52 was all that, granted it did see a fair bit of active service but when compare to the Avro Vulcan it was and still is stone age as well as being not much quicker than the Russian "Bear", the Vulcan had a higher capacity in terms off useable bomb load and was a hell of a lot faster capable of reaching mach 1, though the Vulcans never saw any active combat bar the Falklands they were light years ahead of the B52 IMO.

The Vulcan could carry 21 1,000 pound bombs while the B-52D with the "Big Belly" mod could carry 108 750 pound bombs, around the world if need be. I think you're comparing the Lancaster vs the B-17.

That being said if you were to go on technology alone then you are going to have to stick with the SR-71. When they retired the fleet they were still (at least officially) the most technologically advanced aircraft in the world. They served from 1964 till 1998 and were instrumental in preventing all out nuclear war. A pretty significant factor I would say.

Good call with the SR-71, didn't even think of that one. It's tough to compare recon planes with bombers and bombers with fighters. In a way, the B-52 and SR-71 are in a smiliar boat ... There is no real compition in their class of aircraft. You could compare the Stratofortress with the USSR's Bear, but it's a poor comparison. Same thing with Blackbird, the only thing that would come close would be the U-2, and that's not close.

Last edited:
F-86 Sabre has always been my favorite, that's just a beautiful jet.

F-86%20jpg.jpg

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QXvbLEKve78&feature=related]F-86 high speed pass - YouTube[/ame]

Good call with the SR-71, didn't even think of that one. It's tough to compare recon planes with bombers and bombers with fighters. In a way, the B-52 and SR-71 are in a smiliar boat ... There is no real compition in their class of aircraft. You could compare the Stratofortress with the USSR's Bear, but it's a poor comparison. Same thing with Blackbird, the only thing that would come close would be the U-2, and that's not close.

No worries, no one ever thinks about the recon aircraft, they don't blow stuff up! However just like the PR Spitfires of old, the Habu saved far more lives then we will ever know.

Forum List

Back