Best Male Actor and Best Female Actor awards are "not acceptable"

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
The Spirit Awards have recognized excellence in independent film for nearly four decades, using categories such as best female lead and best supporting male, in line with the Oscars, Emmys and Tonys. But with the increasing prominence of nonbinary and gender-nonconforming performers, many of whom are uncomfortable competing in gendered categories, the Film Independent brass struggled to justify why acting awards were split up when the technical prizes — including writing, directing, editing and cinematography — were not.
“There just didn’t seem to be a clear, compelling, convincing answer to that question,” Welsh said. “That’s just not acceptable, really, to require people to identify themselves in ways that are not truthful or that they don’t want to do, and it just seemed unwelcoming.”
BesIn August, Film Independent announced that the 38th Spirit Awards — to be held Saturday in Santa Monica, Calif. — would be their first with gender-neutral acting categories. The show is not alone in phasing out gendered acting prizes: New York’s Gotham Awards, the Canadian Screen Awards and the Berlin Film Festival made similar shifts in recent years. Several ceremonies recognizing achievement in theater, including the Outer Critics Circle Awards, off-Broadway’s Lucille Lortel Awards and D.C.’s Helen Hayes Awards, have also moved to non-gendered acting categories.

Comment:
Gender dysphoric people should have a separate category.
They should not interfere with other categories.
The same thing should be done with sports awards, transsexuals should have their own category where they can compete against each other.
The Left is attempting to erase male and female genders and replace them with dozens of bizarre genders.
They do not have any right to do this.
People need to stand up to them.

The Left is attempting to erase male and female genders and replace them with dozens of bizarre genders.
Good example of exactly that. Cutting the "best actor" awards in half will mean anyone can be any sex. Sequentially, as with Brokeback Mountain. Maybe that's why they are doing it, to deal with this claim that only real trannies can play trannies, and real homosexuals can play homosexuals. Then if there are no recognized sexes, anyone can play anything.

Like the "trouser roles" in opera. A young teen boy invariably played by a woman.

Last edited:
Who gives a shit about those awards anyhow?

I haven't watched any kind of entertainment award for decades.

I only ever watched the award shows to get ideas for clothing I was designing.

Hubby used to enjoy watching and I let him.

1678052512111.png

I only ever watched the award shows to get ideas for clothing I was designing.

Hubby used to enjoy watching and I let him.

For God's sake woman . Keep control of him .
Give an inch and you will live to regret it ..

The Spirit Awards have recognized excellence in independent film for nearly four decades, using categories such as best female lead and best supporting male, in line with the Oscars, Emmys and Tonys. But with the increasing prominence of nonbinary and gender-nonconforming performers, many of whom are uncomfortable competing in gendered categories, the Film Independent brass struggled to justify why acting awards were split up when the technical prizes — including writing, directing, editing and cinematography — were not.
“There just didn’t seem to be a clear, compelling, convincing answer to that question,” Welsh said. “That’s just not acceptable, really, to require people to identify themselves in ways that are not truthful or that they don’t want to do, and it just seemed unwelcoming.”
BesIn August, Film Independent announced that the 38th Spirit Awards — to be held Saturday in Santa Monica, Calif. — would be their first with gender-neutral acting categories. The show is not alone in phasing out gendered acting prizes: New York’s Gotham Awards, the Canadian Screen Awards and the Berlin Film Festival made similar shifts in recent years. Several ceremonies recognizing achievement in theater, including the Outer Critics Circle Awards, off-Broadway’s Lucille Lortel Awards and D.C.’s Helen Hayes Awards, have also moved to non-gendered acting categories.

Comment:
Gender dysphoric people should have a separate category.
They should not interfere with other categories.
The same thing should be done with sports awards, transsexuals should have their own category where they can compete against each other.
They do not have any right to do this.
People need to stand up to them.
That’s sure to drive a flaming stake through the heart of their declining viewership

I’ve never given it much thought, but there’s really no logical reason for male and female actors to have separate categories in awards. It’s not like acting is a sport where men have a natural advantage or anything.

I’ve never given it much thought, but there’s really no logical reason for male and female actors to have separate categories in awards. It’s not like acting is a sport where men have a natural advantage or anything.
Except men and women play different roles. For instance, a woman can't play Winston Churchill and a guy can't play Amelia Earhart.

Except men and women play different roles. For instance, a woman can't play Winston Churchill and a guy can't play Amelia Earhart.

What does that have to do with award shows or who gave a better performance? All the nominees play different parts in different movies. Male roles aren’t inherently better than female roles, and vice versa.

Again, logically, there really should just be a single “best actor” award for everyone, male and female.

What does that have to do with award shows or who gave a better performance? All the nominees play different parts in different movies. Male roles aren’t inherently better than female roles, and vice versa.

Again, logically, there really should just be a single “best actor” award for everyone, male and female.
I can't explain to you the differences in the genders and how they are not the same. You either know it or you don't.

I can't explain to you the differences in the genders and how they are not the same. You either know it or you don't.
I get they’re not the same.

That doesn’t mean we need a separate category for men and for women. Acting is acting. Gender has nothing to do with who is better. Men and woman can, and should, compete on equal footing in acting. It isn’t weight lifting. Men don’t have any advantages.

I get they’re not the same.

Then you get it that males do male roles and females do female roles and because of that they can't be judged on the same criteria.

Besides, at the end of the day everything is subjective with those things. It is not like sports where stats tell the story.

Then you get it that males do male roles and females do female roles and because of that they can't be judged on the same criteria.

Besides, at the end of the day everything is subjective with those things. It is not like sports where stats tell the story.
Ok, well I still say acting is acting. I see no reason Meryl Streep and Tom Hanks couldn’t compete in the same category

The purpose of all reward shows is to make more money. Some of it goes to charities, some of it goes to employees, and some of it winds up in the hands of some rich people. What we have here is too many fucking woke people trying to lead the social justice parade for gender equality/equity, and so doing they're going to fuck everything up kill a golden goose. Which BTW is already being strangled and suffocated by wokitude.

The bottom line is that those shows help to advertise the entertainment industry and drive up interest in various shows and people associated with them. Even for a brief moment the people behind the scenes get their names read and their merits are recognized and that is a good thing IMHO. So I think we should all ignore the assholes pushing the sexual identity crap; if you don't like the way things are done now then create your own awards show.

Forum List

Back