Best Cover Song Ever...

So, while sucked into a You Tube vortex, I stumbled upon this outfit known as "Leonid & Friends", a group of Russian musicians who fucking nail every song they play.

This may be the best cover version of any song I've ever heard:

It's good but it's like an American Idol rendition.

Sugary sweet and fat free.

No heart...no soul.

Fagen's voice told a story, this guy just sings a song.

5/10

It's good but it's like an American Idol rendition.

Sugary sweet and fat free.

No heart...no soul.

Fagen's voice told a story, this guy just sings a song.

5/10

Well, it's kind of silly to think anyone but Fagan is going to bring to this song what Fagan did. Likewise, the guy playing lead guitar in the video, who was excellent, isn't going to bring to this what Skunk Baxter brought.

For me, for starters, the scope of the song is impressive. There are some songs which cover bands just don't ever try to cover. Almost anything by Steely Dan qualifies. "Sweet Home Alabama" is one thing. Anyone can play that garbage. But pulling off something like Steely Dan takes a level of musicianship not normally found in a cover band...

Well, it's kind of silly to think anyone but Fagan is going to bring to this song what Fagan did. Likewise, the guy playing lead guitar in the video, who was excellent, isn't going to bring to this what Skunk Baxter brought.

For me, for starters, the scope of the song is impressive. There are some songs which cover bands just don't ever try to cover. Almost anything by Steely Dan qualifies. "Sweet Home Alabama" is one thing. Anyone can play that garbage. But pulling off something like Steely Dan takes a level of musicianship not normally found in a cover band...
Well people do.

If you're gonna record a cover, you don't make a carbon copy.

You put your stank on it.

That is what makes a great cover.

It is as if you rewrite the song...not just repeat it.

"That's better than the original"

The Pogues cover of the Dubliner's Dirty Old Town. Shane McGowan's voice is miserable, painful, drunken, unique.

You can just see his drunken Irish ass howling at Salford lamp posts.

Others

Clapton's-Cross Roads.

Sinead O'Connor's-Nothing compares to you.

Black Crows-Hard to Handle

Well people do.

If you're gonna record a cover, you don't make a carbon copy.

You put your stank on it.

That is what makes a great cover.

It is as if you rewrite the song...not just repeat it.

"That's better than the original"

The Pogues cover of the Dubliner's Dirty Old Town. Shane McGowan's voice is miserable, painful, drunken, unique.

You can just see his drunken Irish ass howling at Salford lamp posts.

Others

Clapton's-Cross Roads.

Sinead O'Connor's-Nothing compares to you.

Black Crows-Hard to Handle

But that's not what this band is about. Their goal is to get as close to the original as possible.

They do a pretty fair job at doing just that...

But that's not what this band is about. Their goal is to get as close to the original as possible.

They do a pretty fair job at doing just that...
Dude...they do an amazing duplication of the tune.

I am just sayin...best cover ever...has multiple criteria in my book.

Different strokes.

Dude...they do an amazing duplication of the tune.

I am just sayin...best cover ever...has multiple criteria in my book.

Different strokes.

I think I know what you're saying. A cover is a cover is a cover. Duplicating the tune is what they want to do.

What you're talking about seems to be more the arrangement of the song than anything else.

A buddy of mine does Bon Jovi's "Livin' On A Prayer". Now most might roll their eyes at that. But his arrangement; his version of the song is amazing, and not anything close to what someone might expect...

Forum List

Back