Best childhood memories

PixieStix

Platinum Member
Apr 2, 2009
My best childhood memory ever, was the time my Mom won a 10ft stocking full of toys for Christmas, it was delivered on Christmas Eve

10" stocking full of great toys was really a big deal when you are such a little one

That was sooo great :happy-1: My Dad even smiled :cool:

She also won a second one to donate to her favorite charity. :cool:

Sweet thread!

One of my favorites:

When I was four years old, I dislocated my hip. (At the time, the doctors told my folks they weren't sure I'd be able to walk again; fortunately, they were wrong). I wore a half a body cast for months, and then faced a long rehab.

For Halloween during this time, I still couldn't walk. So my Dad pulled me around in a red Radio Flyer Wagon. I wore a Yogi Bear costume - and Dad wore a Yogi Bear mask. We lived in a neighborhood with a lot of Catholic and Mormon families, so there were a lot of kids going from house to house. I felt so proud to have Dad as my Trick or Treat partner for all the other kids to see.

(To this day, I have a lifelong fondness for red wagons - and get a kick out of seeing kids being pulled along in them by their folks.)

The day my brothers and I were bored and figured out we could sled ride in the summer down a muddy hill and right into a creek. That was fun!

And another time my grandfather, my grandfather lived on the bank of the Ohio river, was having the bank in his yard reinforced and filled in and there were piles of dirt on top of the bank. We were jumping from the tops of the dirt piles down about 20 feet and landing in soft dirt. That was fun too.

Fond memories and dirt seem to coincide with me! lol

I have posted this before but it is my best childhood memory, that and my first beer. If TV can re-run or syndicate so can I.

Here it is.....

I love bees, one of my early memories is a summer day in 1969. I was catching bees in a pickle jar and my father came out and told me to come in, "boy we need watch the TV".

He was full of beans and happiness.

He explained to me a man was about to walk on the moon. We watched the entire thing together. In love and wonder, father and son.

My Dad was so proud that day, not just as an American, but as a human being. Men were walking on the Moon!!!!

Afterward I let the bees in my jar go.

I love bees, the Moon and my long departed father.

And not in that order.

I have posted this before but it is my best childhood memory, that and my first beer. If TV can re-run or syndicate so can I.

Here it is.....

I love bees, one of my early memories is a summer day in 1969. I was catching bees in a pickle jar and my father came out and told me to come in, "boy we need watch the TV".

He was full of beans and happiness.

He explained to me a man was about to walk on the moon. We watched the entire thing together. In love and wonder, father and son.

My Dad was so proud that day, not just as an American, but as a human being. Men were walking on the Moon!!!!

Afterward I let the bees in my jar go.

I love bees, the Moon and my long departed father.

And not in that order.

That is a very nice memory JW! And the way you worded it, is rather poetic.Thank you.:cool:

My father used to be able to pull toys out of the walls BY MAGIC.

Needless to say that four year old editec was highly impressed.

If you've never done this for a very small child?

You really ought to.

You cannot imagine how thrilling it is for the kid when the small toys you've palmed start dropping on the floor.

Christmas?

Christmas mornings don't even begin to compare to the wonder children have when somebody they love proves to be a magician who can find and then retrieve toys from the walls.

If you don't have kids, find some and do it for them. It's a cheap enough thrill.

You won't believe how good it will make you feel to see their reaction to your little magic trick.

You'll make their day, and believe me, they will never forget the feeling they had when it first happens, either.

Apparently the editecian fathers have been doing this trick for their kids for at least three generations. My GF did it for my dad, and he for me, and me for my son.

I fully expect my son will do it for his kid (or others) too.

Last edited:
I'm blessed and have a lot of favorite memories. One of the best took a few days:

As usual my brother, some friends, and I walked the 1.5 miles to school around 7am to get to mass before school started. As we went outside to 'line up' to trudge into school, the sky was really dark-like nothing I'd ever seen before and wouldn't see again until [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3NEnH0QWZro"]1987.[/ame] Into school we went, said prayers and pledge and got right down to morning work.

Before long, it started snowing, huge flakes, like nothing I ever had seen before or since. Flakes nearly the size of the paper ones we had cut out of paper by folding that hung all over the room! The date: Thursday, January 26, 1967.

The snow had begun probably around 9, we were sent home right after lunch. Of course we had to walk home. There must have been at least 5" already. It was a very wet snow, great for snowball fights, snowman and fort building. It took us forever to get home. My mom wasn't home when we got there, I guess schools didn't call in those days. My dad was still at work. My brother and I made hot chocolate-we were in 3rd and 4th grades. We changed into play clothes and went out again, our public school friends didn't get out early, but they only walked about 2-3 blocks so I guess that made sense.

By the time the streetlights came on there was well over a foot of snow. My folks still weren't home, so we stayed outside in the yard-it was warm and the snow just kept falling. When it was really dark, (maybe 5), we went inside. For the first time we started getting nervous about the folks. My brother picked up the phone-no dial tone. So we made soup and macaroni and cheese and waited. They came home around 8:30, my mom was over in Oak Brook and couldn't get home by bus, so my dad had to pick her up, seems he left work at 2 and the 1/2 hour drive to the shopping center and the 10 minute ride home took over 6 hours. But home they did get.

The next day was a wonderland! Snow had drifted up to the living room windows, it had turned Chicago windy over night and the snow kept falling! Our front windows bottoms were over 9' high from the ground. LOL! We were shocked, no school! First snow day, ever! We went right out and started jumping off our porch, normally a 9.5' drop, into the snow that was about 5' at the bottom. My mother woke and freaked when we couldn't find my brother right away, he was slugging to the 'non-drifted' part of the yard. Good times!

Sometime during the morning with the snow still falling, my dad bundled me into the sled for the walk to the local grocer, about 3 blocks away. Milk was sold in glass bottles then. It seems the phone had come back on and my dad had called ahead. We knocked on the back door and Ray, the grocer, gave us the milk and bread. While I was resettling on the sled, the milk slipped from my snow covered mittens, fell and broke. I started crying, the reason for the back door was the limited amount of milk and no deliveries expected at least until the snow stopped. My dad knocked again, Ray took pity on me and gave my dad another gallon and me some candy. LOL!

We had Monday off school too, they were still trying to get all the streets cleared as the snow didn't stop until late Friday night. I don't remember anything like that weekend. Even when the lights were off in the house, the streetlights and all the snow kept everything lit. Everything seemed slow and fun.

My Mom volunteered to raise money for Muscular Dystrophy when I was around 7 or 8, she planned this great little carnival of sorts in our front yard. I was in charge of the hotdog sales and my Dad made this great water dunking contraption. My older brother was the one getting dunked. I would just walk up to it and push the lever and dunk him :lol: There were water darts, all kinds of fun games. If memory serves correctly, we raised about $230.

What a great lesson to teach your kids. Thanks Mom and Dad!!!

I have to say, that is probably my fondest memory of my childhood. My first post in this thread has to come in second

My best childhood memory ever, was the time my Mom won a 10ft stocking full of toys for Christmas, it was delivered on Christmas Eve

10" stocking full of great toys was really a big deal when you are such a little one

There are so many ... how can one have a favorite?

Every time my parents got in a "tiff" and sent me to my grandparents was a "favorite".

The Christmas we came back from Turkey after 2 years (64), was the first I really remembered and my grandparents totally went all out for us.

The first time I rode a horse alone.

First time I got to shoot.

First fish I caught.

Don't sound much redneck do I?:lol:

Every time my parents got in a "tiff" and sent me to my grandparents was a "favorite".

The Christmas we came back from Turkey after 2 years (64), was the first I really remembered and my grandparents totally went all out for us.

First fish I caught.

If you are a redneck, then so am I. My Dad used to take me squirrel hunting with him. And fishing was a big deal, my Mom made ME bait her hooks. I only did it cuz I wanted to please her. I caught my first bass and my dad had me let it go, and said "Did you see the ears on that fish, sugar" LOL :lol:

That was so great :happy-1: My Dad even smiled :cool:

First fish I caught.

If you are a redneck, then so am I. My Dad used to take me squirrel hunting with him. And fishing was a big deal, my Mom made ME bait her hooks. I only did it cuz I wanted to please her. I caught my first bass and my dad had me let it go, and said "Did you see the ears on that fish, sugar" LOL :lol:

Your dad sounds pretty neat My folks separated when i was 5, and he passed away when i was 8. Didn't have the luxury of a father figure. pretty much raised myself.

First fish I caught.

Your dad sounds pretty neat My folks separated when i was 5, and he passed away when i was 8. Didn't have the luxury of a father figure.

My Dad could be neat, I was Daddy's little girl, but he was extremely strict, at least that is how he saw it. He taught me many good things

I am sorry for your loss!:frown:

The very first Christmas morning that I can remember. I must have been 4 or 5 years old. We (7 kids, youngest would have been newborn or 1.) were all waiting at the top of the stairs for Dad to give the OK to go down to the living room where Santa had to have been.

Great Grandmother Deardorf called us into her room at the top of the stairs, She said she wanted to show us something outside her window on the front porch roof.

There in the fresh snow was a set of boot prints leading from what looked like reindeer and sleigh tracks going up the side roof to the chimney and back.

Dad never did tell us how those tracks got there. He even told our kids it was Santa.

The very first Christmas morning that I can remember. I must have been 4 or 5 years old. We (7 kids, youngest would have been newborn or 1.) were all waiting at the top of the stairs for Dad to give the OK to go down to the living room where Santa had to have been.

Great Grandmother Deardorf called us into her room at the top of the stairs, She said she wanted to show us something outside her window on the front porch roof.

There in the fresh snow was a set of boot prints leading from what looked like reindeer and sleigh tracks going up the side roof to the chimney and back.

Dad never did tell us how those tracks got there. He even told our kids it was Santa.

My Dad played Santa one year, it was so funny now that I look back and know the details

We did not have a chimney, so he knocked on the door :lol::lol:

We thought he was asleep. We just knew if we got too excited that we would wake Dad and he would ruin everything :lol:

My Mom said he got stuck climbing out the bedroom window to knock on our chimney/door :lol:

After "Santa" left, wqe looked into the sky with wonder in our eyes and all of us swore we saw Santa's sleigh and Rudolphs nose :lol:

thefuture.jpg

Thinking back I have a lot of special days I can recall. My favorite days were the ones spent with my grandpa. As far back as I can remember on the mornings we awoke at grandpa and grandma's house, grandpa would sit me up on a kitchen chair and fix me coffee cream. He would tell me things and read the newspaper to me. He was one of my hero's. He keep me near him as I was the smallest grandchild he had in those days. After cream with a little coffee he would always pull a silver half dollar out of his pocket and set it on the table in front of me. He would tell me the name of the lady on the silver half dollar or ask me who she was, ask me if I understood and then he would say are you ready to go to the store? We would walk to the mall that was about five blocks away and he would tell me to pick out whatever I wanted at the store.

Best....wow.....

I lived in Hawaii for 6 years when I was a kid, so bear with me.......

Since we lived in Army Housing, everyone knew each other, and crime was non-existent.....gangs of kids, "playing army," sliding down hills on cardboard, building "forts," throwing rotten guavas at each other, hoarding Halloween (Huge in Hawaii) candy

being amazed at the sight of our breath in the air of very rare cool Hawaiian weather,

tasting exotic asian foods in downtown Honolulu

going sailing with my dad and seeing a Gianormous Sea Turtle.....then visiting "The Monkey Bar" where dozens of monkeys played in a glassed in cage behind the bar....

But I guess the BEST was when all the kids parents would organise a weekend at the North Shore, sleeping in rented huts after playing with a dozen friends in the surf all day, smell of BBQ Teriaki, fish, mangos......

Paradise.

Puppies!

Another memory.

One summer, our next door neighbors pair of beagles had 11 puppies! We got to take care of the dogs and puppies for two weeks while the family went on vacation.

It was heaven! We didn't have a dog of our own - so my siblings and I played with the puppies nearly non-stop. All of them grew into nice doggies; they were so used to people and received Tons-O-Love!

summers at the family compound at tahoe......it was a blast.....

going cruising with my favorite uncle and his buddies...i was something like 10.....

playing tackle football in the snow.....on thanksgiving......

playing ball tag in the treetoops in grammar school in the fog.....

my greatgrandmother telling me bedtimestories about her childhood in the south.....

New Topics

Forum List

Back