Best Bull Run In 80 Years - Liberal Media Ignores It

red states rule

May 30, 2006
The US economy continues to roll along and the liberal media can't stand it

Media Virtually Ignores Dow's Best Bull Run in 80 Years
Posted by Tom Blumer on May 5, 2007 - 08:24.
Did the Dow’s ‘Bull Run’ Milestone Get to Your Paper’s Front Page Today?

Front page? Heck, the overwhelming odds are that it didn't get mentioned anywhere.

It should have been.

At CNNMoney.com, writers Alexandra Twin and Steve Hargreaves appear to be the only ones who even recognized the significance of yesterday's positive market close (bolds are mine):

Dow: Longest bull run in 80 years
Major gauges hit new milestones, but just barely; investors mull jobs report, oil prices, talk of a Microsoft-Yahoo merger.
May 4 2007: 4:09 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- The Dow Jones industrial average squeaked out another record high Friday, making this the longest bull run in 80 years, as investors cheered tame inflation numbers, talk of big mergers and a jobs report that appeared just right.

..... The Dow has now risen in 23 of the last 26 sessions, marking its longest bull run since the summer of 1927, when the indicator ended higher in 24 of 27 sessions, according to Dow Jones.

Turning the tables on John Kerry, and building on the snark of Matt at Weapons of Mass Discussion -- That would make it the best stock market run since, well, Herbert Hoover.

The pervasive lack of coverage is stunning. Two Google News searches (on "since 1927" [not in quotes] and "80 years," [in quotes]) pulled up only one additional mention of the "bull run" beyond the CNNMoney item cited in this post -- and at that link, the writer characterizes the once-in-80-year event as "the best in over half a century." However, AHN's Matthew Borghese did note that the S&P 500 is now "just points away" (about 1.5%) from its all-time high.

I also looked for coverage of the "bull run" at the home page and business home page of the New York Times on the web. There was nothing on the Times home page beyond the normal ticker. The coverage of the stock market was the very last linked item on the Business section home page; the related underlying article made no mention of the "bull run."

Friday's stock market news is on Page D4 of Saturday's Washington Post print edition, with no "bull run" mention.

Cross-posted at BizzyBlog.com.

http://newsbusters.org/node/12543

As I've said before - no schadenfreude here - I want the US economy to be strong because if it's not then my country is going to feel it. Although I saw figures today that suggested our number one trading partner is now China. Not surprising since all we can apparently do is dig up minerals and sell them to China. Our economic is piss weak, it's based on dig it up and flog it to China. Like that takes a lot of brainwork.

As I've said before - no schadenfreude here - I want the US economy to be strong because if it's not then my country is going to feel it. Although I saw figures today that suggested our number one trading partner is now China. Not surprising since all we can apparently do is dig up minerals and sell them to China. Our economic is piss weak, it's based on dig it up and flog it to China. Like that takes a lot of brainwork.

TheUS economy is strong. It has taken many hits over the last several years - but has grown

Libs here cannot stand the facts tax CUTS is the reason

If any government wants to improve their economy - cut taxes and let the free market do its job

I'm philosophically in favour of free markets - I just have ideas about how they should be restricted for the wellbeing of the rest of society.

You know, look at your country, with its resources, there is absoluely no way it should even be thinking of negative territory in the economy. I hope it continues to be strong, the rest of us need it to be so.

I'm philosophically in favour of free markets - I just have ideas about how they should be restricted for the wellbeing of the rest of society.

You know, look at your country, with its resources, there is absoluely no way it should even be thinking of negative territory in the economy. I hope it continues to be strong, the rest of us need it to be so.

Our economy is so huge with so many different factors contributing to it. But we have to deal with the libs who want the government to be the Mommy and Daddy to the rest of the world

Government spending is 1/3 of the US's GDP

The US is the worlds economic superpower, and the envy of the rest of the world

I have said before the government spends way to much money

And do you realize that George W. Bush has increased the size of government as much as any Liberal would?

When are you going to realize that current Republicans are NOT liberals. When are you going to realize that Neo-Conservativism was founded by Trotskyists? (In case you don't know that means VERY LIBERAL)

And do you realize that George W. Bush has increased the size of government as much as any Liberal would?

When are you going to realize that current Republicans are NOT liberals. When are you going to realize that Neo-Conservativism was founded by Trotskyists? (In case you don't know that means VERY LIBERAL)

When are ypu going to realize the current US economy is in good shape, despite all the doom and gllom forcasts?

You remind me of a bunch of drunks that profess enormous faith in gwb due to his tax cuts that provided them a few extra cases of beer.

TheUS economy is strong. It has taken many hits over the last several years - but has grown

Libs here cannot stand the facts tax CUTS is the reason

If any government wants to improve their economy - cut taxes and let the free market do its job

They didn't really get the beers from their saviour but they thought they did. Are you really that stupid?

You remind me of a bunch of drunks that profess enormous faith in gwb due to his tax cuts that provided them a few extra cases of beer.

They didn't really get the beers from their saviour but they thought they did. Are you really that stupid?

Why are libs so opposed to people keeping more of the money they earn?

Please define "best Bull".

btw why are you so intellectuially dishonest when characterizing the majority of Americans?

Doesn't that define you as anti American?

Your right

Libs want to give tax cuts to people who do NOT pay taxes

I stand corrected

do you get your rocks off posting this kind of bald faced lie?

It is true

Dems always want to give tax cuts to the "poor" who pay less then 4% of all Federal income taxes - but never want to give tax cuts to the top 25% of wage earners who pay about 85% of Federal income taxes

BTW - the Earned Income Tax Credit already does that. It gives a tax refund to those who pay ilittle or no income taxes

The economy is in a cyclical trough right now. It is possible that a recession may occur during the second half of the year, but if it happens, it is likely to be mild.

However, the stock market is responding either because the next move by the Fed is down, and the market loves interest rate cuts, or because its the last leg of the bull market that began in 2002. Ends of bull markets are usually marked by a parabolic or explosive rise.

Forum List

Back