Best breakfast in a while

I don't like sweet corn bread... it's just wrong wrong wrong...

my southern cornbread recipe has no sugar, only 2 tablespoons of flour to the 2 cups of cornmeal, and 2 cups of Buttermilk, not regular milk...

And it is delicious!

Goes great with bean soups and also with greens, like collard greens, or mustard greens

and most importantly, in my stuffing for Turkey... half corn bread and half any other type bread, like white or Italian bread.
You add eggs?
yes, and baking powder or maybe it is baking soda? and salt...

I don't have the recipe in front of me for the exact ingredients and measurements.... It's my southern, (Alabamian) grandmother's recipe which was her grandmother's recipe... been around for quite a while in my family... we all use the same recipe.... 3rd cousins and all.... it really is good!
3rd cousins eh? Around here you just draw a 150 mile radius and I am related to most of the folks in this area which is why i imported my wives and gal friends from another part of the nation.
The recipe is not unusual since the use corn meal in pizza dough around here and tempura is one of my favs....but I sure like my corn bread my papa would eat it in a glass of milk for desert after dinner.

my southern cornbread recipe has no sugar, only 2 tablespoons of flour to the 2 cups of cornmeal, and 2 cups of Buttermilk, not regular milk...

And it is delicious!

Goes great with bean soups and also with greens, like collard greens, or mustard greens

and most importantly, in my stuffing for Turkey... half corn bread and half any other type bread, like white or Italian bread.
You add eggs?

I don't have the recipe in front of me for the exact ingredients and measurements.... It's my southern, (Alabamian) grandmother's recipe which was her grandmother's recipe... been around for quite a while in my family... we all use the same recipe.... 3rd cousins and all.... it really is good!
3rd cousins eh? Around here you just draw a 150 mile radius and I am related to most of the folks in this area which is why i imported my wives and gal friends from another part of the nation.
The recipe is not unusual since the use corn meal in pizza dough around here and tempura is one of my favs....but I sure like my corn bread my papa would eat it in a glass of milk for desert after dinner.
:rofl:

I am likely related to everyone's family who were born and raised in Alabama and Georgia in the 1800's! I kid you not! There was no sparing of kids in each family, 10, 12 and even 14 kids were common, ( one grandfather with 18 kids) especially when the first wife died and the hubby remarried like the one with 18 kids... my poor great grandmothers, were spitting out kids like they were fertile Myrtles, bunny rabbits.... and several died in childbirth of their late in life, children... the great grandfathers then remarried, had a woman to take care of the previous 10 kids born, and had 8 more with the new young wife.... HOLY SMOKES! Smith, Jones, Johnson, Wright, Moore, Graham, May, Lunsford, Washington, Cobb, King, Scott, Gray, Wilkes, Wilson, Jackson, Clarke, Petty, even Sanders, etc etc etc etc are all family names, that I did not even know we had in our family, nor did my father know they were in his family line, which came from the great grandmothers sides....

Last edited:

And it is delicious!

You add eggs?

With buttermilk, it probably takes both powder & soda......I know in the recipes for things like biscuits & pancakes, when using regular milk, you only add baking powder and with buttermilk, it usually calls for both.

I think the soda is to counteract the enzymes(?) or whatever in the buttermilk when chemically reacting to the other ingredients probably the baking powder &/or salt...…..just don't quote me on that :dunno:

and actually I've never had cornbread without sugar in it :dunno:

And it is delicious!

You add eggs?

With buttermilk, it probably takes both powder & soda......I know in the recipes for things like biscuits & pancakes, when using regular milk, you only add baking powder and with buttermilk, it usually calls for both.

I think the soda is to counteract the enzymes(?) or whatever in the buttermilk when chemically reacting to the other ingredients probably the baking powder &/or salt...…..just don't quote me on that :dunno:

Corn bread without sugar sucks!!

Last night I started a crock pot with pinto beans after rinsing and soaking them for close to 2 hours. This morning I baked two pans of cornbread and when it was done cut me a big piece lathered in butter and put a smaller piece in a bowl and covered it with beans and bean juice. That stuff was good!

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients. Mix until blended.
Turn into two greased cake pans
Cook at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes

There’s no bacon

/fail

Last night I started a crock pot with pinto beans after rinsing and soaking them for close to 2 hours. This morning I baked two pans of cornbread and when it was done cut me a big piece lathered in butter and put a smaller piece in a bowl and covered it with beans and bean juice. That stuff was good!

Corn bread
2 cups flour
2 cups corn meal
1/2 cup sugar
8 tsp baking powder
1.5 tsp salt
2 cups milk
1/2 cup oil

Mix dry ingredients, add wet ingredients. Mix until blended.
Turn into two greased cake pans
Cook at 425 degrees for 20 - 25 minutes

There’s no bacon

/fail

You can always add it to the batter before baking and it doesn't hurt to use bacon grease for some or all of the oil or shortening. :thup:

And it is delicious!

You add eggs?

Hubs always liked it with extra sugar...….just gotta be careful when baking so it doesn't get too browned

And it is delicious!

You add eggs?

Hubs always liked it with extra sugar...….just gotta be careful when baking so it doesn't get too browned

I've got a dutch oven cornbread recipe that kicks ASS!!!
It's about twelve inches in diameter and four inches thick.
It's so sweet I wanna put frosting on it and call it a cake!

You add eggs?

You add eggs?

In process.....

fullsizeoutput_125.jpeg

In process.....

View attachment 265606

So you got cornbread goin??? Enough to feed all of us???

With some smoked baby backs & a pot of beans????

Be right there......

In process.....

View attachment 265606

Be right there......

Unfortunately thats a pick from last fall.
It's raining cats and dogs at the moment.

In process.....

View attachment 265606

Be right there......

Well damn......ya'll southerners let a bit of rain stop ya??? Wusses :04:

In process.....

View attachment 265606

Be right there......

Well damn......ya'll southerners let a bit of rain stop ya??? Wusses :04:

I tried but the coals kept getting wet....

Forum List

Back