Best Antivirus Program?

Gracie

Diamond Member
Feb 13, 2013
Lost
I have been using WebRoot for a few years now and lately, I have been experiencing nothing but probs. Any time I go anywhere on the net, I get the Waiting For Extension WebRoot Filtering Extension and I wait 25 seconds or more for a page to load...a thread to load...a pic to load, etc.
I called them and they uninstalled and re installed it on their end via being in control of my pc while I sat and watched the mouse doing its thang as they did this and that. A day later, it started lagging again. So I reinstalled Chrome. Went fine for another day, now it is lagging AGAIN. Obviously, this program is not happy on my pc. I just had it renewed, too, for another year. I want to dump it and get another program that works well with Chrome and Windows 7.

Any recommendations? I have been eyeballing Bitdefender but wanted to ask here first.

Last edited:
Actually the very best anti-virus method is free and easy to use in just two steps:

1. When you set up your internet connection just choose "none"

2. Using inexpensive and easy to get duct tape carefully cover the slots for all of your computers disk drive slots and USB ports other than those used for your keyboard and mouse.

Let's try this again.....

What do YOU use, folks, and are you happy with it?

I just browsed PC magazine and WebRoot and Bitdefender are neck to neck as "the best".
Not sure what I am going to do. WebRoot has tried to fix it on their end..and I have tried on my end. But waiting is like being on DSL. And I just renewed WebRoot for another year so I don't know if they will refund the balance if i dump it. Am I in a hurry? Do I mind waiting 30 seconds to reply, respond, submit, browse, look, post, etc? Yeah, I do mind. But what if I dump WebRoot and the same delay in speed happens with Bitdefender? Oy. Decisions decisions.

I have been using WebRoot for a few years now and lately, I have been experiencing nothing but probs. Any time I go anywhere on the net, I get the Waiting For Extension WebRoot Filtering Extension and I wait 25 seconds or more for a page to load...a thread to load...a pic to load, etc.
I called them and they uninstalled and re installed it on their end via being in control of my pc while I sat and watched the mouse doing its thang as they did this and that. A day later, it started lagging again. So I reinstalled Chrome. Went fine for another day, now it is lagging AGAIN. Obviously, this program is not happy on my pc. I just had it renewed, too, for another year. I want to dump it and get another program that works well with Chrome and Windows 7.

Any recommendations? I have been eyeballing Bitdefender but wanted to ask here first.
What internet provider are you using? If you're using Comcast, Norton is free. Also, Microsoft has a free virus program that works great also. Most anti-virus programs that you download, comes with crap that you don't want on your computer. If you go to Majorgeeks.com, you'll find all of the virus programs commonly used and downloaded. But, again, most of them want to also download junk with the program.

I am on Charter in a package deal. Phone, tv, internet. My browser is Chrome.

I am on Charter in a package deal. Phone, tv, internet. My browser is Chrome.
Then go to Majorgeeks.com and look at all of them. All of them are free, at least 95% of them are. Almost everything on Majorgeeks is free, and tested. I've been downloading from there for many years now. Each program tells you what it's for, what system requirements are needed, and date of last update. Try it out. You may find what you're looking for.

I read that WebRoot..and heard from WebRoot themselves, that Chrome sometimes balks at WebRoot. And international sites sometimes have an issue with it. I refuse to stop using Chrome. I might try browsing with IE and see what happens but last time I did that, it STILL happened. I also disabled the extension for it from Chrome and it went a little faster but disabling it is leaving my PC unprotected. I think. Gadgetry. I HATE gadgetry.
Anyway....I haven't decided what to do yet. Be patient and let it snail around checking everything under the sun on each and every website, pic, thread, etc and be protected cuz it DOES kick ass in that department....or find something else and hope it isn't a slug too but doesn't do the work like WR does.

I have no stupid AV-engine ruining my computer´s performance. But I would turn on the Windows 8.1 Defender in case of need. Otherwise I run a scan with Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, Comodo Cleaning Essentials and Combofix. I make the Firewall block all in- and outbound connections for that no rule exists. I also check files with virustotal.com. Over 50 different AV-programs check the files on virustotal.

My ISP, Cox Cable, gives me McAfee as part of the service and I am quite happy with it,. I get frequent updates and it gives me a search feature that warns me of any sites that might provide problems,.

Of course, the best anti virus program is between your ears! Just don't visit sites that are most likely prone to bad stuff.

My ISP, Cox Cable, gives me McAfee as part of the service and I am quite happy with it,. I get frequent updates and it gives me a search feature that warns me of any sites that might provide problems,.

Of course, the best anti virus program is between your ears! Just don't visit sites that are most likely prone to bad stuff.
The trick is to correctly sort the wheat from the chaff. I am not going to forbear from anything just because it could be "bad".

You aren't experiencing the Chinese writing that comes with McAfee's Site Advisor? The lettering is from some schools in China. Buyer beware. Ringel05 pointed it out to me, then I uninstalled Site Advisor and presto, no more Chinese writing hanging around the tabs at the top of pages. However, when McAfee did some updates recently, it came back so I found McAfee had downloaded Site Advisor, then I uninstalled and no more Chinese writing.

McAfee came pre-installed for a 30 day trial, with my most recent PC, then I went ahead and paid $39.95 for the year and when that ends, I am going back to Norton. In 15 years, I never had any problems with Norton. I know it's a hog, but I trust it. It's less of a hog than it used to be.

When that time comes though, I will research the top ten anti-virus programs and if Norton isn't on any list, I will go with what is recommended by the majority of tech sites.

AquaAthena - I've never seen a single Chinese character anywhere on my screen from McAfee. Ever! Either in XP, Vista, or now Win8.1

Forum List

Back