Bernie Sanders' time has probably passed

Mac1958

Diamond Member
Dec 8, 2011
Opposing Authoritarian Ideological Fundamentalism.
Sanders put up one helluva fight against Hillary, but as we know now, he was not going to be allowed to win. Worse, in the intervening years, the Democratic party has shifted so far to the Left that he probably has too many handicaps to have a chance this time around.

Old. White. Straight. Male. That's four strikes against him on Day One.

I wonder if the party is just gone now. Those of us who are repulsed by the GOP and by this travesty have nowhere to go but third party. And the prospect that one of these parties will, in fact, win the White House in 2020 is a little troubling and depressing.

The Democratic Party now cares more about elements of "identity" than it does about anything else.

Biden leads the polls right now. This is gonna be fun & fascinating to watch. We'll see if his outstanding qualifications can overcome the handicaps he shares with Sanders.

How Does a Straight White Male Democrat Run for President?

Vichy Mac is scared of women and people of color.

Here's the real reason why Sanders did so well. Dumb-ass "moderates" shoved Hillary down the throats of the Democratic Electorate, and the bitch couldn't give an opinion without focus-group testing it first.

Sanders put up one helluva fight against Hillary, but as we know now, he was not going to be allowed to win. Worse, in the intervening years, the Democratic party has shifted so far to the Left that he probably has too many handicaps to have a chance this time around.

I wonder if the party is just gone now. Those of us who are repulsed by the GOP and by this travesty have nowhere to go but third party. And the prospect that one of these parties will, in fact, win the White House in 2020 is a little troubling and depressing.

The Democratic Party now cares more about elements of "identity" than it does about anything else.

Biden leads the polls right now. This is gonna be fun & fascinating to watch. We'll see if his outstanding qualifications can overcome the handicaps he shares with Sanders.

Well, other than the part about the GOP being "repulsive", I pretty much agree.

Hillary ,albeit gained many a vote, damaged the Dem party identity badly.

Bernie has been an independent his entire career , unfortunately it is a powerless party that will hail to the Dems no matter who runs as one

~S~

Chants "Kunts will not replace us!" Substitute "Darkies ...", "Gays ...", as suitable.

Then whines about an emphasis on "identity" that isn't.

He lost his supporters when he choose to support HER. She embodied everything he opposed. He’s done.

While they pick up his battle cry with zero comprehension of what it actually means. Identity politics started in the 70s. It really doesn't matter whom they pick because they can always tell those who supported whomever to vote for so and so because they lost and the party wins. The swimsuit competition hasn't even started yet.

I think people are scared shitless of Bernie Sanders.

"Outstanding qualifications"! LOL

I was agreeing with you up till then. But I still mostly agree, especially about the 4 strikes.

While they pick up his battle cry with zero comprehension of what it actually means. Identity politics started in the 70s. It really doesn't matter whom they pick because they can always tell those who supported whomever to vote for so and so because they lost and the party wins. The swimsuit competition hasn't even started yet.
No doubt that the Democrats are counting on a YUGE anti-Trump vote for whomever they run, that's for sure.

I'm terrible at political predictions, so I don't know how that will play out.

But one thing that is DEFINITELY playing out is my fear when Trump won - that his presence would allow the Regressive Left to fully take over the Democratic Party. Who knows where things will be come election time, and a full-blown Regressive could win.

I don't know how many more of these wild swings back & forth this country can take in one piece.

"Outstanding qualifications"! LOL

I was agreeing with you up till then. But I still mostly agree, especially about the 4 strikes.
Decades in the Senate, 8 years as VP. Come on.

Think what you will about his personality, and that's fair, but his qualifications and experience are unmatched in the party.

I think people are scared shitless of Bernie Sanders.

Not really... Bernie got a big pass last time because Hillary was too afraid of alienating his supporters. they won't show him the same deference this time when there are people further to the left than he is on some of these issues.

Chants "Kunts will not replace us!" Substitute "Darkies ...", "Gays ...", as suitable.

Then whines about an emphasis on "identity" that isn't.

Are you making a reference to the fringe group that did Charlottsville, as though they are representative of anyone or anything?

Seriously?

No doubt that the Democrats are counting on a YUGE anti-Trump vote for whomever they run, that's for sure.

I'm terrible at political predictions, so I don't know how that will play out.

But one thing that is DEFINITELY playing out is my fear when Trump won - that his presence would allow the Regressive Left to fully take over the Democratic Party. Who knows where things will be come election time, and a full-blown Regressive could win.

I don't know how many more of these wild swings back & forth this country can take in one piece.

2020 will entirely depend on the economy. If it's still good, Trump will win. If it isnt, he'll lose, This isn't complicated.

The Democrats will probably still nominate someone palatable to Wall Street. Those guys have control over our process that would make the Ayatollahs jealous.

Old. White. Straight. Male. That's four strikes against him on Day One. [...]

Biden leads the polls right now.

There is no whinier a bunch than old, white, straight males. They may - may - no longer be the default winners in every single struggle for political power while still grossly over-represented at or near the levers. And, old, white, straight males are leading in the polls.

Still, the reactionary misogynists couldn't stop screeching that the "old, white, straight, male" identity doesn't guarantee the privileges it once did. They have it oh-so hard, others might - might - catch up to them.

There is no more contemptible and laughable a bunch than old, white, straight males.

There is no whinier a bunch than old, white, straight males. They may - may - no longer be the default winners in every single struggle for political power while still grossly over-represented at or near the levers. And, old, white, straight males are leading in the polls.

Still, the reactionary misogynists couldn't stop screeching that the "old, white, straight, male" identity doesn't guarantee the privileges it once did. They have it oh-so hard, others might - might - catch up to them.

There is no more contemptible and laughable a bunch than old, white, straight males.

Mac's point was not what you are representing it as.

Why are you making up a strawman, instead of addressing what he actually said?

Mac's point was not what you are representing it as.

Why are you making up a strawman, instead of addressing what he actually said?
You know why.

Generally speaking, identity politics is about recognizing and acting on the fact that different groups can have different interests, goals, and policy needs. It doesn’t require pitting those groups against each other, although it’s often presented that way. Rather, it’s about acknowledging that American politics tends to treat the “white male” identity as the default [...]​

Mac, so ignorant of Democratic policy aims it boggles the mind - from the Green New Deal to Warren's recent child care proposal to Pelosi's massive government ethics bill, to mention just the tip of the iceberg - sees nothing other than "identity politics". Having, by dint of his peculiar, incurable obsession, stumbled so far to the right, the political center is already over the horizon, he complains that the Democratic party has moved to the extreme left, to be denigrated as "regressives" - an argument to underpin the judgment / denomination is no longer required.

Pitiful.

New Topics

Forum List

Back