Ben Lowry: Some thoughts about being an older parent

There is no 100 year life. You deteriorate. Your period of decrepitude simply gets longer and more costly to everyone else in society. If you haven't had all your kids by the time you are 40, quit trying. Kids born to older parents are dull and over-pampered. Who the hell wants a 52-year-old dad watching his Little League games? Or a 60 year old mom at HS graduation?

Older parenthood is the result of a twisted viewpoint. Kids are not for your own personal edification and enrichment. THEY are supposed to be the focus, not you.

There is no 100 year life. You deteriorate. Your period of decrepitude simply gets longer and more costly to everyone else in society. If you haven't had all your kids by the time you are 40, quit trying. Kids born to older parents are dull and over-pampered. Who the hell wants a 52-year-old dad watching his Little League games? Or a 60 year old mom at HS graduation?

Older parenthood is the result of a twisted viewpoint. Kids are not for your own personal edification and enrichment. THEY are supposed to be the focus, not you.
My wife and I were both 42 at the birth of our youngest daughter. We were both at our daughter's High School graduation this summer aged 60. We were also there for every dance recital and every soccer and lacrosse game. Who wants her parents watching her activities? Just about every kid I know. I feel very sorry for all the kids who don't have parents take active part in their lives. Having a child later in life is not easy physically. It's harder to keep up with your kids. On the other hand, we were both more experienced and knew what to do. We were also better off financially to do things for our daughter that we weren't able to do for our older kids.

Forum List

Back