Belichick makes bizarre claim a news conference

Belichick has won enough games to not have to worry about what people like you and me think.

But the dirty little plays intended to injure other players and take them out of the game have no place in football.

Belichick has every right to complain, and I think he is right, but then again, I am a Patriots fan, so my bias is likely showing.

Belichick has won enough games to not have to worry about what people like you and me think.

But the dirty little plays intended to injure other players and take them out of the game have no place in football.

Belichick has every right to complain, and I think he is right, but then again, I am a Patriots fan, so my bias is likely showing.

If you take to colored glasses off, you will see what that play was. It was a "Pick Play" plain and simple. I know that the Patriots have run that very same play hundreds of times over the years. Every team in the NFL does.

Belichick is being dramatic and disingenuous in saying that was the worse play he had ever seen. PLEASE! He is playing that for the Commissioner, and you know it.

I am so tired of watching billicheat whining about a pick play that his team does multiple times each game! Grow up billicheat!

Belichick should be emphasizing that Brady and his offense never showed up and just plain sucked balls!
Opening Statement
"It is always a tough way to end a season like that, but you've got to give Denver a lot of credit today. Coach Fox, his staff, and obviously the players. They did a good job, did a better job than we did. I thought we played hard, I thought we were ready to go. We just didn't make enough plays, just didn't do things quite well enough. Denver did better than we did today and that is why they deserve to win and they'll move on. So, congratulations to them. I'm proud of our football team, proud of everything we did this year. We got a lot of guys in that locker room that played hard, played well, gave everything they had all season long, and you know I'm proud to be their coach. I just wish it could have ended a little better for us today. Again, give Denver credit. They did a good job."

On lack of third down conversions
"We didn't do a good enough job. We were able to hold them to some field goals defensively, but our third-down defense and our third down offense, especially in the first half weren't in it. We let them get too far ahead and they stayed on the field. They had the ball and had field position and there were even a couple times we just held them to field goals we still didn't have possession of the ball, didn't have a chance to do much, just trying to keep them out of the end zone. I mean, that's okay, but it would be a lot better if we could use it on third down and get the ball back. And, conversely we weren't able to do it offensively."

On his thoughts on QB Tom Brady being less accurate today
"The bottom line was they just did a better job than we did. That's really the bottom line. I don't think it's about any one player or any one play. There were a lot of opportunities in the game had we been able to coach better, play better, execute better, any one of those areas would have given us a better chance, but we were up against another good football team and they were better than we were today. Give them a lot of credit for what they did. They did a good job."

SOURCE

Belichick should be emphasizing that Brady and his offense never showed up and just plain sucked balls!
Opening Statement
"It is always a tough way to end a season like that, but you've got to give Denver a lot of credit today. Coach Fox, his staff, and obviously the players. They did a good job, did a better job than we did. I thought we played hard, I thought we were ready to go. We just didn't make enough plays, just didn't do things quite well enough. Denver did better than we did today and that is why they deserve to win and they'll move on. So, congratulations to them. I'm proud of our football team, proud of everything we did this year. We got a lot of guys in that locker room that played hard, played well, gave everything they had all season long, and you know I'm proud to be their coach. I just wish it could have ended a little better for us today. Again, give Denver credit. They did a good job."

On lack of third down conversions
"We didn't do a good enough job. We were able to hold them to some field goals defensively, but our third-down defense and our third down offense, especially in the first half weren't in it. We let them get too far ahead and they stayed on the field. They had the ball and had field position and there were even a couple times we just held them to field goals we still didn't have possession of the ball, didn't have a chance to do much, just trying to keep them out of the end zone. I mean, that's okay, but it would be a lot better if we could use it on third down and get the ball back. And, conversely we weren't able to do it offensively."

On his thoughts on QB Tom Brady being less accurate today
"The bottom line was they just did a better job than we did. That's really the bottom line. I don't think it's about any one player or any one play. There were a lot of opportunities in the game had we been able to coach better, play better, execute better, any one of those areas would have given us a better chance, but we were up against another good football team and they were better than we were today. Give them a lot of credit for what they did. They did a good job."

SOURCE

Yeah, he addressed it.....didn't emphasize it. We all know what he did emphasize, tho'!

Belichick: Everyone runs pick plays | Comcast SportsNet - CSNNE.com

FOXBORO -- When Bill Belichick publicly objected to Wes Welker's hit on Aqib Talib in Sunday's AFC Championship he was not indicting pick plays in toto.

"I'd say most all teams in the league do it," he said Monday.
Including the Patriots.

As Sports Illustrated's Greg Bedard noted January 15, New England and Denver each ran six such plays in their regular season meeting during Week 12. And Welker ran plenty of pick plays for Belichick in six seasons with the Patriots.

Had Welker gone for his knees, I would have said it was a cheap shot. He did not go for his knees. The hit was up high. Done......

I was for the Broncos more than the Patriots, I am a fan of Welker, and Welker hit him deliberately, I think, up high. Foul? Maybe? But a cheap shot at the knees, no.

Coach B is pissed that WW jumped ship is part of the issue. In 13 games, WW scored 10TDs receiving, the most in any of his seasons.

Right on, Wes.

I was for the Broncos more than the Patriots, I am a fan of Welker, and Welker hit him deliberately, I think, up high. Foul? Maybe? But a cheap shot at the knees, no.

Coach B is pissed that WW jumped ship is part of the issue. In 13 games, WW scored 10TDs receiving, the most in any of his seasons.

Right on, Wes.

It is debatable if Wes hit him deliberately..if so...I thought in football players DO hit on purpose?? :eusa_eh:
"Deliberate hit to purposely injure another player"...no, as in hell no. Wes is coming off of TWO concussions...why the hell would he put himself out there and risk a serious injury to himself?? :eusa_hand:
Belicheat....:lame2:

Right on, Wes.

Actually,it was the Patriots decision to let Welker walk. That was not a good decision...

Whether they win or lose, Patriots made right decision in letting Wes Welker go - Touching All the Bases - Boston.com

Wes Welker, who in six seasons with the Patriots averaged 112 catches per season as a featured player in one of the most electrifying offenses in pro football history, is on on the other side now. He traded in the Flying Elvis for the flyin' Elways, joining forces with the second-greatest quarterback of this generation after a contentious departure from the Patriots.

It takes Boston ignorance and arrogance to call Peyton Manning the second best quarterback in this generation. Manning is the best to ever stand behind center.

Here's my honest take on the hit:

I like Welker, regardless of why he left the Patriots.

I think the game probably would've been closer if Talib had stayed on the field, because Dennard simply couldn't cover Demaryius the way he could. But the Patriots still weren't playing well and it's entirely possible that they still would've lost, and would have deserved to.

It looks like Welker went for Talib's hip. I'm not saying Welker is a dirty player. To reiterate, I like the guy. He might be telling the truth when he says he didn't mean to injure Talib. But the play does look a bit suspect and it does look to me like he targeted Talib's hip, which has been a huge problem for him all season, and really for his entire NFL career.

I know people love to hate the Pats. I accept that. But they don't talk shit on other teams. That's the reality of who they are. Hell, Welker got benched for the opening series of a playoff game for talking shit in code.

If Belichick and multiple players (Carter, Slater, Ninkovich) who never talk shit on anyone are saying that they question the hit, it's because they feel that they have good reason to. I doubt very much that any of them think that it's the reason that they lost the game. They didn't play well enough to win. The better team won yesterday. But that doesn't magically make a bad play a good one.

It takes Boston ignorance and arrogance to call Peyton Manning the second best quarterback in this generation. Manning is the best to ever stand behind center.

It has nothing to do with Boston ignorance or arrogance. There's a perfectly legitimate case to be made for Brady over Manning, and vice versa.

I think the game probably would've been closer if Talib had stayed on the field, because Dennard simply couldn't cover Demaryius the way he could. But the Patriots still weren't playing well and it's entirely possible that they still would've lost, and would have deserved to.

It looks like Welker went for Talib's hip. I'm not saying Welker is a dirty player. To reiterate, I like the guy. He might be telling the truth when he says he didn't mean to injure Talib. But the play does look a bit suspect and it does look to me like he targeted Talib's hip, which has been a huge problem for him all season, and really for his entire NFL career.

I know people love to hate the Pats. I accept that. But they don't talk shit on other teams. That's the reality of who they are. Hell, Welker got benched for the opening series of a playoff game for talking shit in code.

If Belichick and multiple players (Carter, Slater, Ninkovich) who never talk shit on anyone are saying that they question the hit, it's because they feel that they have good reason to. I doubt very much that any of them think that it's the reason that they lost the game. They didn't play well enough to win. The better team won yesterday. But that doesn't magically make a bad play a good one.

You need to go look at the play again. Your rose colored glasses are fogging up. Welker went for his chest. He was not near his nip. The Patriots have a very good corner with bad knees. Sorry about that....

The Patriots run the pick play as much, if not more, than any team in the NFL. It is amazing that Billiheat now suddenly sees this as one of the worse plays he has ever seen.

His Patriots stunk the field up. That is why they lost.

Fact is: give me the exact teams for a match up, and I will take Brady over Manning. Any and every day.

It has nothing to do with Boston ignorance or arrogance. There's a perfectly legitimate case to be made for Brady over Manning, and vice versa.

I would have said it was debatable until I saw that game......

Peyton Manning is the best QB to ever step on the field, to include my faves Staubach and Aikman. Brady is great, but Manning is carrying his team far more than Brady does.

You need to go look at the play again. Your rose colored glasses are fogging up. Welker went for his chest. He was not near his nip. The Patriots have a very good corner with bad knees. Sorry about that....

The Patriots run the pick play as much, if not more, than any team in the NFL. It is amazing that Billiheat now suddenly sees this as one of the worse plays he has ever seen.

His Patriots stunk the field up. That is why they lost.

No rose colored glasses here. I thought my post was pretty fair. Welker clearly didn't go low on the block, he aimed for the middle of Talib's body and, IMO, his hip. Regardless though, it was an illegal pick and should have been flagged, even if the injury was completely 100% accidental.

Also, who's the Pats corner with the bad knees?

And who, exactly, was trying to say that they Patriots didn't play badly enough to lose? I've reiterated that repeatedly. I've even said that I think they were playing badly enough that Talib wouldn't have made enough of a difference. I've said that the Broncos deserved to win that game and that the Patriots didn't. I'm not sure why you seem to feel like you need to scold me about how badly they played.

I would have said it was debatable until I saw that game......

Peyton Manning is the best QB to ever step on the field, to include my faves Staubach and Aikman. Brady is great, but Manning is carrying his team far more than Brady does.

I completely disagree that Manning is carrying his team more than Brady. These two guys are, hopefully, going to both be playing for a few more years and when it's all said and done Manning may well be the GOAT. But what Brady and the Pats have accomplished this year is pretty phenomenal. They shouldn't have even made it to the AFCCG. That's reality. A lot of people had them going 9-7 and missing the playoffs when the season started.

They lost their top 5 receivers before the season even started. Those 5 guys accounted for 85% of the TDs and 84% of the receptions last year (Welker, Woodhead, Lloyd, Hernandez, Gronk). They replaced these guys with mostly UDFA's, castoffs and draft picks (Thompkins, Dobson, Boyce, Sudfeld, Hoomanawanui), basically, players that nobody has ever heard of. Amendola was the heralded new guy and immediately went out for multiple games with a torn groin. Edelman was the consistent playmaker all season who couldn't find a single team willing to sign him in the offseason. Not to mention that Thompkins, Dobson and Boyce have all been on and off the field all year with injuries. Matt Mulligan? Austin Collie? You can't honestly look at anyone in their receiving corp and tell me that they come close to matching the talent of players like Demaryius Thomas. Julian Edelman would be, at BEST, 4th on the Broncos depth chart (behind Decker, Thomas and Welker).

Vereen could've had a breakout year if he hadn't broken his hand on the first play of the first game of the season. Ridley couldn't gain Belichick's trust and Blount only really began to gel toward the end, but really, everyone thought he was dead in the water before the Pats signed him (they gave up Demps and a 7th round pick).

And we haven't even touched on the majority of the injuries yet, the ones that really did this team in. Mayo, Wilfork, Vollmer, Kelly, Gronk, etc etc.

In addition, the Pats have one of the youngest teams in the NFL. 17 players had never been in a playoff game before the Colts game.

Somehow, in spite of all of the above, the Patriots still averaged the 2nd most points per game in 2013 (tied for 2nd with Chicago at 27.8) and scored the 3rd most points in the NFL (444).

They overachieved in a pretty remarkable way this year. This is, in my opinion, the best coaching job Belichick has ever done. I think that it gets dismissed because at this points, the Pats are simply expected to do this well (which is quite remarkable in and of itself), but I'm hard pressed to think of another team in the NFL that could have accomplished what they did this year.

Forum List

Back