Behold the Power of Creation

Congrats on the win. I liked the piece of music; it reminded me of church music with the organ and horns.

Two quick questions:
1) Were the instruments computer or synthesizer or some other electronic device or where some of them real?
2) What can you recommend to someone wanting to learn more about classical music? I'm well versed in rock and metal and old country, but sadly know little to nothing about classical except that I like it.

Congrats on the win. I liked the piece of music; it reminded me of church music with the organ and horns.

Two quick questions:
1) Were the instruments computer or synthesizer or some other electronic device or where some of them real?
2) What can you recommend to someone wanting to learn more about classical music? I'm well versed in rock and metal and old country, but sadly know little to nothing about classical except that I like it.

This is what I think, even though I'm sure a lot of smarter people than me will disagree. If you are really immersed in music, you will quickly understand there is little difference in rock, metal, old country, classical or any other style of music. There is only good, and not so good. Phrasing, harmonics, and even chord progressions can easily be lifted from one style to another with very little modification. Music is more about the emotional response induced than it is about any specific instrument or venue. There is just as much excitement and drive in some of the old masters compositions as there is in any modern day rock song. Make an effort to listen to all kinds of music, and compare the consonant perfect 5th to the dissonant major 7th and how they are used to convey the story the music is trying to tell. By all means listen to everything, and give it a chance before you decide it's not what you like. The classics are classics for a reason.

Two quick questions:

The trombone was synthesized and the organ is my own playing but three different tracks, since I no longer have the skill (don't practice enough) to play all three parts at the same time.

If you want to get into classical music, and you have keyboard skills, you'll want to play Debussy (Clause) since its' the bridge between classical (romantic era) and jazz/rock.

AVOID ATONAL Music. Atonal music (Hindemith, Bartok, etc) is classical music but in the modern era. It's great music, I play it all the time, but do not start or meddle with it.

If you want to fully immerse yourself in classical music starting era, learn bach preludes.

I won a music composition contest in NYC with this last week. I've been entering these contests for nearly 12 years now (since I was 11 years old).

A bunch of singer-songwriters were sitting around a bar in Nashville. One of them says 'I keep hearing about these guys Bach, Beethoven and Mozart. Anybody here heard of them?'
'Yeah' replies one of the songwriters 'I've heard of 'em ...but I wouldn't worry too much, all they ever did was instrumentals'

Forum List

Back