Behold the $15 LED light bulb

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
Lighting Science Group teams up with Indian electronics manufacturer Dixon Technologies to unveil the world's first $15-or-less 60-watt equivalent LED bulb.

Even though some LED (or light-emitting diode) light bulbs boast lifespans that last decades while consuming minimal energy compared to old school incandescent bulbs, their price — often hovering around the $40 mark — has remained a sticking point with many consumers. Sure, the savings in the long run are remarkable, but who really wants to spend more than $20 on a single light bulb?

Well, meet the latest creation from the geniuses over at Lighting Science Group: an omnidirectional, 60-watt equivalent A19 LED bulb with a sticker price of $15 or less. That's right, folks — a $15 LED.

Developed in cooperation with Indian electronics manufacturing giant Dixon Technologies, this low-priced, high-performance bulb with a lifespan of around eight years will initially be released in India later this year before making its way stateside and elsewhere in early 2012. The revolutionary bulb is designed to consume 85 percent less energy than standard 60-watt incandescents and 35 percent less energy than CLFs.

With 800,000,000 incandescent light bulbs and 300,000,000 CFLs sold in India each year, the market is ripe for these highly efficient, long lasting and nontoxic products. The economic and environmental implications of this partnership are significant: old-style light bulbs use 60 billion units of electricity each year, 7% of India’s total, and our Lighting Science Group Definity® lamps could save over 70% of that, equivalent to 32 coal fired plants with 500MW capacity.

Behold, the $15 LED bulb | MNN - Mother Nature Network

I can get 2 bulbs at the dollar store.

Do these last 30xs as long?

How long do I have to use it to make up for the fact that it costs 30 times what I pay for my current bulbs?

I surely wouldn't pay 15 dollars for a light bulb. You can stick your light bulb straight up your ass before I will.

what if it lasts 10 times as long as a regular bulb and uses less energy.

I surely wouldn't pay 15 dollars for a light bulb. You can stick your light bulb straight up your ass before I will.

what if it lasts 10 times as long as a regular bulb and uses less energy.
1/3 as much energy? Then it'd be a wash.

I pay a dollar for two incandescents.

the squiggly bulbs cost more up front but you save more money in the long run because they last longer and they use less energy.

I can get 2 bulbs at the dollar store.

Do these last 30xs as long?

How long do I have to use it to make up for the fact that it costs 30 times what I pay for my current bulbs?

I went ahead and replaced almost all my incandescent bulbs with the more-expensive CLFs about six years ago. And I actually wound up saving money in the long run. My electric bill went way down and most of those bulbs have yet to burn out.

So, if these LED bulbs are as advertised, I will replace my CLF bulbs with them as they burn out.

And I also expect them to come down in price as demand and competition increases.

Last edited:
If it's $15 now and it sells it will be $5 in a year and half that in two or three years. What's needed is a high efficiency bulb that fits well in the older style lamps. CFLs are often two large.

I like the long lasting bulbs even thou they cost more. I have a number of lights that require a step ladder to change.

Another advantage of CFL's is more light from a small fixture. Many lamps have 60 watt max rating. A 23 what CFL produces the light output of a 100 watt bulb so you can get a lot more light from a small lamp.

CFL and incandescent bulbs trigger migraines for me.
The 'savings' is not worth the pain.

uh huh.....

Just from its pic.... i can tell it is not going to psychically fit into most of my light fixtures.
In most of my fixtures i use MORE then a 60 watt bulb, or less then a 60 watt bulb, or a 3 way light, or lights that work on a dimmer switch.
Is the color of the light warm...or blue as most LED's are? If it is a blue light i have no use or desire for it.
In this room alone... i have 8 bulbs. $250 a room?? :wtf:

Last edited:

its the blue light... I asked the neighbor to remove all of his LED Christmas lights for just that very reason... they triggered migraines.

uh huh.....

Just from its pic.... i can tell it is not going to psychically fit into most of my light fixtures.
In most of my fixtures i use MORE then a 60 watt bulb, or less then a 60 watt bulb, or a 3 way light, or lights that work on a dimmer switch.
Is the color of the light warm...or blue as most LED's are? If it is a blue light i have no use or desire for it.
In this room alone... i have I have 8 bulbs. $250 a room?? :wtf:

Oh yeah, someone forgot to mention the cost or replacement fixtures.....Chris??
Oh Chrissss!!???

Currently what is legaly available here are 'low watt' bulbs. Instead of 60 watt, you can get 57 watt. Must stock up before they become illegal....

its the blue light... I asked the neighbor to remove all of his LED Christmas lights for just that very reason... they triggered migraines.

I don't have a problem with small Christmas lights. I can always drive off. But shopping or working where there are CFLs and incandescents...now that I can't handle much of the time. Perhaps I can get away with wearing :cool:

uh huh.....

In this room alone... i have I have 8 bulbs. $250 a room?? :wtf:

Oh yeah, someone forgot to mention the cost or replacement fixtures.....Chris??
Oh Chrissss!!???

Currently what is legaly available here are 'low watt' bulbs. Instead of 60 watt, you can get 57 watt. Must stock up before they become illegal....

And swear its a gene i have..... regardless where i go or what i am looking at.... the one i want is always the most expensive.

I can see it now.... "Honey.... the new wall sconces are $2000 each. We need four for the dining room so that the new light bulbs will fit inside..... oh and four for the living room too. Ill need several new lamps, and sconces for the stairs. OOHH... will the lights fit in the bathroom fixtures? I am not so much worried about the ones in the basement.... they don't need fixtures... do they come in 300 watts?"

Lighting Science Group teams up with Indian electronics manufacturer Dixon Technologies to unveil the world's first $15-or-less 60-watt equivalent LED bulb.

Even though some LED (or light-emitting diode) light bulbs boast lifespans that last decades while consuming minimal energy compared to old school incandescent bulbs, their price — often hovering around the $40 mark — has remained a sticking point with many consumers. Sure, the savings in the long run are remarkable, but who really wants to spend more than $20 on a single light bulb?

Well, meet the latest creation from the geniuses over at Lighting Science Group: an omnidirectional, 60-watt equivalent A19 LED bulb with a sticker price of $15 or less. That's right, folks — a $15 LED.

Developed in cooperation with Indian electronics manufacturing giant Dixon Technologies, this low-priced, high-performance bulb with a lifespan of around eight years will initially be released in India later this year before making its way stateside and elsewhere in early 2012. The revolutionary bulb is designed to consume 85 percent less energy than standard 60-watt incandescents and 35 percent less energy than CLFs.

With 800,000,000 incandescent light bulbs and 300,000,000 CFLs sold in India each year, the market is ripe for these highly efficient, long lasting and nontoxic products. The economic and environmental implications of this partnership are significant: old-style light bulbs use 60 billion units of electricity each year, 7% of India’s total, and our Lighting Science Group Definity® lamps could save over 70% of that, equivalent to 32 coal fired plants with 500MW capacity.

Behold, the $15 LED bulb | MNN - Mother Nature Network

oh... are light bulbs covered by food stamps? I wonder how welfare folks and old people on fixed incomes are going to handle.....a $15 bulb.

YAY for a $15 dollar light bulb!

Or is this where god says... and let there be light...and offers an entitlement program??

I have little doubt that LED lighting will be the wave of the future.

As the techology advances economies of scale come into play.

I'm informed that Princess lines just made a multimillion dollar purchase of LED lighting for their fleet, for example.

Expect that the first changes to LED lighting will happen at the industrial level, and as that market grows the economies of scale will insure that it will eventually migrate into the retail market.

Right now my favorite toy is an LED hand powered flashlight.

I HATE battery techology because typically when I need a flashlight my flashlights, which might have been sitting unused for years, have dead batteries.

With a couple turns of the flashlights handcrank I have plenty of light.

During Irene my power went out for a few hours but I continued to read (sans wasteful battery power) thanks to this LED flashlight.

I have little doubt that LED lighting will be the wave of the future.

As the techology advances economies of scale come into play.

I'm informed that Princess lines just made a multimillion dollar purchase of LED lighting for their fleet, for example.

Expect that the first changes to LED lighting will happen at the industrial level, and as that market grows the economies of scale will insure that it will eventually migrate into the retail market.

Right now my favorite toy is an LED hand powered flashlight.

I HATE battery techology because typically when I need a flashlight my flashlights, which might have been sitting unused for years, have dead batteries.

With a couple turns of the flashlights handcrank I have plenty of light.

During Irene my power went out for a few hours but I continued to read (sans wasteful battery power) thanks to this LED flashlight.

People steal towels from hotels.... i hope princess has their bulbs locked down... or they will be the new thing to steal. :eusa_whistle:

1/3 as much energy? Then it'd be a wash.

I pay a dollar for two incandescents.

the squiggly bulbs cost more up front but you save more money in the long run because they last longer and they use less energy.
How much less? They cost 30 times as much....

Depends on how many you use. In my case, it was quite a bit less because I did six rooms all at once – including two finished rooms in the basement with no windows where we burnt 10 bulbs for about 12 hours each day. It really did make a big difference.

I kept all the old bulbs and have been using them up in places like the outside lights.

The squiggly bulbs also last a lot longer then the regular bulbs – much longer.

I think the average wattages of the squiggly blubs burn about 75% less energy then the regular bulbs and that’s quite a bit less.

And, since these new LED bulbs run much cooler than the florescent ones, I would expect them to virtually never burn out.

Forum List

Back