Beer: Americans say no to American made go for imports

zzzz

Just a regular American
Jul 24, 2010
Yountsville
Other than lighter-calorie beers, drinkers have also turned to imports, such as Corona, and to craft beers, which are produced, and usually also consumed, in relatively small regions, according to Eric Shepard of beer marketer’s INSIGHTS. Overall, sales of beer from 2005 to 2010 rose 1.9 million barrels to 208.4 million barrels. But sales of the top 20 brands dropped 10 million barrels to 149 million, a sign that Americans have turned to craft beers and imports.
The Eight Beers Americans No Longer Drink - 24/7 Wall St.

Years decline from 2006-2010
Budweiser down 30%
Milwaukee Best Light down 34%
Milwaukee Genuine Draft down 51%
Old Milwaukee down 52%
Milwaukee Best down 53%
Bud select down 60%
Michelob Light down 64%
Michelob down 72%

Wonder how many "Buy American" people actually drink imported beer?

"Craft Beers" means Micro Breweries right? If so then Americans are also brewing more of their own.

That "Bud Select" reminds me of the Simpson episode where the go to the Duff Brewery. They show how Regular Duff, Duff Light and Duff Dry get bottled but it's all coming from the same filler pipe! :lol:

And wouldn't Budweiser be a foreign beer now?

"Craft Beers" means Micro Breweries right? If so then Americans are also brewing more of their own.

That "Bud Select" reminds me of the Simpson episode where the go to the Duff Brewery. They show how Regular Duff, Duff Light and Duff Dry get bottled but it's all coming from the same filler pipe! :lol:

And wouldn't Budweiser be a foreign beer now?

True the craft beers have taken some of the share but beer sales rose over the years and these brands took a hit. Some of that can be attributed to people starting to look at their waist size I guess and buying lite beer.

Bud is still brewed in the US which makes it American made.

Certain imports and local micros for me.

Coincidentally, my son stopped by last night to watch the Lions beat the Bears and brought some Miller Lite with him. I'd never tried it before so I had one. And all I can say is, That's beer? Can't believe how popular that swill's become.

It's relatively cheap slam-down beer. I like Bud Light for that reason.
The beers that I truely love to drink are expensive, filling, and rich. Sometimes I'm in the mood for quantity, not quality. :)

S.A. has some good beers but they're a bit too sweet for my taste.
They ran many independent brewers out of business in the early days.
That's why I try to avoid their beers.

I was at Boston Logan some years ago and my friend tried to buy me a beer- Sam Adams of course. The waitress gave me a dirty look when I emphatically turned it down. I asked her for a beer list and eventually ordered a Bud Light. :D

Consumers are starting to see there is a significantly better product out there and it doesn't cost much more.

I can't stand to drink the "standard" beers anymore (like Bud lite, etc). In the summer we get Oberon....it's made here in Michigan (Kalamazoo) and is a summer ale...SOOO GOOOD! Costs a little more, but well worth it! In the winter when we can't get it, then we usually buy Sam Adams, Blue Moon or Shock top. But the other weaker brands like Bud are like drinking fizzy water with a little taste of beer!

Certain imports and local micros for me.

Coincidentally, my son stopped by last night to watch the Lions beat the Bears and brought some Miller Lite with him. I'd never tried it before so I had one. And all I can say is, That's beer? Can't believe how popular that swill's become.

Agreed! (on the miller lite)...
And aren't those Lions AWESOME!!!???!!!

Damn, guess I'm not a beer aficionado. I generally buy anything that has a 10 point alcohol content or higher and cheap! Side pocket, Hurricane, Camo, etc... Needless to say when I drink, I drink to get fucked up.

Damn, guess I'm not a beer aficionado. I generally buy anything that has a 10 point alcohol content or higher and cheap! Side pocket, Hurricane, Camo, etc... Needless to say when I drink, I drink to get fucked up.

Same here my man, I usually buy the malt liquors with the highest alcohol content like Earthquake, Stacks and Olde English High Gravity.

Same here. Like H_G, if it ain't strong enough, I ain't drinking it. Honestly, I can't stand those aspiring homosexuals who attempt to con each other into thinking they're wine 'experts'. Just chuck it down yer neck and worry about the consequences later.

Forum List

Back