Be kind or be quiet

TemplarKormac

Political Atheist
Mar 30, 2013
The Land of Sanctuary
Listen. People are disappointed, upset, fearful, or anxious that their lives are being upended by this pandemic. But people also need to be mindful of what's important. Getting married? The party itself is not what is important. The celebration is temporary. The love you have for your spouse is (supposed to be) forever. If you value the pomp and circumstance over the relationship, what does that say about you? If you value the memory over the goal, what does that say about you?

My grandmother was married at the courthouse in Anderson, SC. She had broken her arm and crushed the tibia bone in her right leg a few weeks before. She got married while in a cast. Of course she was disappointed, upset even, but she saw past that to what was important. She was going to heal, she was going to be married regardless. The pomp and circumstance was temporary. Or unnecessary.

Did you want to go to the park but discover it's closed? Remember, it is being done for your safety and that of others. If you live at home with other family members, be grateful for their company. It's just as valuable there as it would be at the park you wanted to go to. If you are going through rough times or having a falling out with someone you live with, make an effort to make amends. There's plenty to do that doesn't involve brooding or sitting at the computer wishing this situation weren't so.

Both me and my grandmother are in risk categories for catching COVID-19. We haven't left home for anything other than getting refills on meds for the past month. If you think I don't understand the disappointment of other people not being able to carry on with their lives, guess again. Being cooped up in here having my life suspended due to this pandemic is not fun either. I get it.

But while you are sitting there worrying over the future, you ignore the present. You ignore what's important. You ignore the people around you. You may be setting the mood or the atmosphere for others by how you react to this situation.

Consider that before you tell someone to "be kind" or "be quiet". Don't assume they haven't gone or aren't going through the same pain and suffering you are, that makes you presumptive and somewhat arrogant.

If someone gives you reasonable advice, don't reject it out of hand. If someone offers an opinion, agree politely or disagree politely. Don't make the automatic assumption that they are trying to be mean or unkind, or that they "don't know what you're going through".

This crisis is hurting everyone, not just you.

Last edited:
Sadly there may be people out there who are quiet for the other reason.

God bless you always!!!

Holly

P.S. They may be quiet because they don't have anything bad to say.

WINNER WINNER.

(but I'm keepin' the chicken dinner)

OUTSTANDING post, TK. :thup:

For the spirit of this thread --- there's a local artist in New Orleans named Dr. Bob. He makes signs that, with endless background variations, all say the same thing:

s-l300.jpg

Best of health to you and yours.

Listen. People are disappointed, upset, fearful, or anxious that their lives are being upended by this pandemic. But people also need to be mindful of what's important. Getting married? The party itself is not what is important. The celebration is temporary. The love you have for your spouse is (supposed to be) forever. If you value the pomp and circumstance over the relationship, what does that say about you? If you value the memory over the goal, what does that say about you?

My grandmother was married at the courthouse in Anderson, SC. She had broken her arm and crushed the tibia bone in her right leg a few weeks before. She got married while in a cast. Of course she was disappointed, upset even, but she saw past that to what was important. She was going to heal, she was going to be married regardless. The pomp and circumstance was temporary. Or unnecessary.

Did you want to go to the park but discover it's closed? Remember, it is being done for your safety and that of others. If you live at home with other family members, be grateful for their company. It's just as valuable there as it would be at the park you wanted to go to. If you are going through rough times or having a falling out with someone you live with, make an effort to make amends. There's plenty to do that doesn't involve brooding or sitting at the computer wishing this situation weren't so.

Both me and my grandmother are in risk categories for catching COVID-19. We haven't left home for anything other than getting refills on meds for the past month. If you think I don't understand the disappointment of other people not being able to carry on with their lives, guess again. Being cooped up in here having my life suspended due to this pandemic is not fun either. I get it.

But while you are sitting there worrying over the future, you ignore the present. You ignore what's important. You ignore the people around you. You may be setting the mood or the atmosphere for others by how you react to this situation.

Consider that before you tell someone to "be kind" or "be quiet". Don't assume they haven't gone or aren't going through the same pain and suffering you are, that makes you presumptive and somewhat arrogant.

If someone gives you reasonable advice, don't reject it out of hand. If someone offers an opinion, agree politely or disagree politely. Don't make the automatic assumption that they are trying to be mean or unkind, or that they "don't know what you're going through".

Good post TK!

I am still trying to find a new normal out of all this....

Good post TK!

There is none, I've stopped trying. Though I will keep holding local politicians feet to the fire and I hope our media here does their job for once and pursues the same desire for facts and accountability.

After that, as long as we determine they have all of our best interests in mind, the rest is up to us.

No thanks. Myself and millions of other Americans don't do living on our knees in conformity. We Americans do not run from crises, hide from monsters or bow our heads in deference to authoritarianism or the wishes of tyrants. Everyone is suffering, true enough. But that does not mean we will swallow every order they try to shove down our throats. Like many, many, many other Americans I will continue to live as normally as possible. I will hike in the park, make my rounds around the local area and even travel to visit family, up and until the moment the tanks roll out to block interstates. After that happens (and it likely never will) many Americans will breathe new life into Molotov's legacy. Bank on it.

Stop being a faggot.

Kindness has different meanings with different nationalities. With my family and community when growing up, kindness meant "no harm" and friendliness, there being no emanating glow of invisible cruelty, threatening you. Quite the oppositte of a "KIND" bar. I guess I grew up in a foreign country yet I didn't move.

/sarcasm

Last edited:
But that does not mean we will swallow every order they try to shove down our throats. Like many, many, many other Americans I will continue to live as normally as possible.

That's cool. But that is a suggestion I never made. No one is asking you to be a conformist. What you're being asked to do is take other people's health and well being into account as you go about living your daily life. This is a new era in human history. I'd rather you be alive, rather than a forgotten statistic in the annals of history.

Breathing is becoming more difficult for me. My son comes over every couple of days to fill the syringes for my diabetic dog whose blind. I have a veranda and my son and his wife came over for a few drinks last week,
It was really fun. I had 3 beers, got drunk and went to bed. Best time I've had in a long time. I have advanced COPD and was told to get my things together, Will is done and in the hands of my son.

I watch the news and feel for those working in hospitals and first responders. God bless them all.

Thinking about getting a laptop so I can skype with my family. For any of you know who I am, I am technically challenge which is putting it mildly. I'm the one who used Briggs as my name when I couldn't get on my account and then had the best posters help me put an avatar up there. And I think I can learn to skype? HA!

My daughter in law just lost her job when the company just furloughed over half the company. Maybe if I lern to skype, we can have those parties more often.

Oh, so many people are sad and or depressed. I am having the strangest dreams. They are always funny and I wake up laughing! Seriously! God is entertaining me while I sleep, I think.

Speaking of God, you know you never alone....just a hand waiting to hold yours!

Well, I blathered on long enough. Will let you know if I waste my money on a laptop I cannot use!

No thanks. Myself and millions of other Americans don't do living on our knees in conformity. We Americans do not run from crises, hide from monsters or bow our heads in deference to authoritarianism or the wishes of tyrants. Everyone is suffering, true enough. But that does not mean we will swallow every order they try to shove down our throats. Like many, many, many other Americans I will continue to live as normally as possible. I will hike in the park, make my rounds around the local area and even travel to visit family, up and until the moment the tanks roll out to block interstates. After that happens (and it likely never will) many Americans will breathe new life into Molotov's legacy. Bank on it.
I don't think the OP was talking about your relationship with authority.

This is the reason that with 5% of the world's population the US has the highest recorded number of Covid-19 cases.

Breathing is becoming more difficult for me. My son comes over every couple of days to fill the syringes for my diabetic dog whose blind. I have a veranda and my son and his wife came over for a few drinks last week,
It was really fun. I had 3 beers, got drunk and went to bed. Best time I've had in a long time. I have advanced COPD and was told to get my things together, Will is done and in the hands of my son.

I watch the news and feel for those working in hospitals and first responders. God bless them all.

Thinking about getting a laptop so I can skype with my family. For any of you know who I am, I am technically challenge which is putting it mildly. I'm the one who used Briggs as my name when I couldn't get on my account and then had the best posters help me put an avatar up there. And I think I can learn to skype? HA!

My daughter in law just lost her job when the company just furloughed over half the company. Maybe if I lern to skype, we can have those parties more often.

Oh, so many people are sad and or depressed. I am having the strangest dreams. They are always funny and I wake up laughing! Seriously! God is entertaining me while I sleep, I think.

Speaking of God, you know you never alone....just a hand waiting to hold yours!

Well, I blathered on long enough. Will let you know if I waste my money on a laptop I cannot use!
Can't help you with Skype....that's beyond my job description in the tech department:biggrin:

I am sorry to hear of your health problems, and will be praying for you to get thru this pandemic none the worse for wear. You go ahead and get that laptop, so you can keep in touch with family, friends and even USMB. :huddle:

Well I'm happy enough to help you set up Skype if you need it, I just set it up for my mother on an HP Chromebook. PM if you'd like help.

1585984453174.png

Lol. I can see truth is not a popular commodity in deplorable land.

Last edited:

What a pigheaded selfish attitude.

This is the reason that with 5% of the world's population the US has the highest recorded number of Covid-19 cases.

The US has the highest number of cases because the US has tested the most people. The statistics can account for the confirmed and tested. There's going to be a significant number of infections and deaths not accounted for because a large portion of the population aren't going to see a doctor.

Good post TK!

Why?

This current crisis will be solved in time to have a celebration party for Trump' re-election. :)

Forum List

Back