Bayh Compaigning for V.P. Spot

Adam's Apple

Apr 25, 2004
Will he bite into the carrot Hillary is dangling in front of his nose? Of course.

February 18, 2007
Bayh Is All about The News He'd Like to Be Vice President
Indianapolis Star

Perhaps Sen. Evan Bayh figures that with the crowded presidential field, it doesn't pay to be coy about whether he hopes the eventual 2008 Democratic nominee will pick him as a running mate.

Bayh displayed -- for him -- unusual candor recently when he told National Public Radio that he'd be interested in the No. 2 spot on the ticket.
"I love being in the Senate, and I'd like to make a difference here," Bayh said. "But you know, if you're president or vice president, I think you have an even greater opportunity to help our country, and that's what I'm all about."
Bayh decided in December not to run for president himself, after concluding the odds of getting the nomination were too slim. If he had stayed in the race, Bayh said he would've had to spend 80 to 90 percent of his time raising funds.

Bayh's fundraising network, along with the $11 million he built up in his Senate account in anticipation of a potential presidential bid, increases his appeal as a running mate.

http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=2007702180387

Forum List

Back