Baseball still very popular

Quasar44

Diamond Member
Gold Supporting Member
Jun 21, 2020
Phoenix, AZ
I was just waking around the neighborhood today .
Saw a baseball field loaded with kids playing

I don’t think baseball is going away , ever

Those fathers and kids were all taking it seriously.

Still the most popular next to basketball

Baseball and Basketball are not expensive to play. A glove and a bat and a ball for Baseball. A basketball for that game. Hockey comes with costs. Football has costs. But Baseball was the game of our nation at one time. And they blew it. The game had traditions the others sports could not compete with. The steroid era which may have started before we were aware of until it was reduced in recent years was a nail on the coffin along with the free agency and the massive TV contracts. You will never see the Big Red Machine versus the Lumber Company again in those sized cities for the National League Championship. I remember the old people in my neighborhood as a teenager always talking about the older players form other eras. And that is what I thought I would do. Baseball became like other sports and it is for the now.

The only thing I seem to miss from MLB is baseball players no longer put their names to baseball gloves and bats. At least I couldn't find one on the net. just bought a pro glove made by the Easton company. The last one I owned was as a teen.

I was just waking around the neighborhood today .
Saw a baseball field loaded with kids playing

I don’t think baseball is going away , ever

Those fathers and kids were all taking it seriously.

Still the most popular next to basketball
I think you're dreaming. I don't have a dog in the fight, I'm not a homer for any sport. But, Football is clearly the new national pastime, and the NBA (up until recently when it began promoting racist groups and divisive rhetoric, as well as giving passes to China) is very competitive.

The thing is, Mike Trout can walk by most people on the street and nobody would know who the F he is. The same cannot be said for Tom Brady or Lebron James.

I have a multitude of reasons why baseball is falling, including:
- BS strikezones by awful umps
- A 162 game regular season which makes any given game not very important to see
- Playing fields that are too small for modern training, encouraging nothing but upswings for HR's instead of base-hit baseball.

My favorite idea is to allow teams to have one player in any lineup to be juiced out of his mind. You can rip on Barry Bonds all you want, but he was absolutely must-see TV. We all know the battle is out there between drug testing and juicers. Let's just be straight about it, and let the McGwires, Bonds, etc. to launch. All is out in the open.

Braves getting some bad strike calls from the Umpires. Good game going here in game 3. 8th inning outfield making mistakes. They are up 1-0. Braves may hang in there for the win if they stay focused.

Baseball is still quite popular where I live in Western Pennsylvania, but there are a load of other sports that have rabid players, parents, and fans...
  • Soccer for neurotic parents,
  • LaCross for kids who can't play ball,
  • Hockey for parents with a lot of time and money to waste,
  • Cheer (no comment),
  • Football, which starts when the kids are about 6,
  • Basketball, both recreational and school,
  • baseball,
  • Tennis,
  • Golf,
  • Crew,
  • etc.
As I watched my 4-year-old playing semi-organized baseball this summer, I was reminded that parents should ask themselves - but rarely do - "What is the point?" Are the kids having fun? Are they learning anything or developing skills that will have value in the future? Is this the best way they can be spending their time?

The answers are not obvious, obviously.

Baseball is still quite popular where I live in Western Pennsylvania, but there are a load of other sports that have rabid players, parents, and fans...
  • Soccer for neurotic parents,
  • LaCross for kids who can't play ball,
  • Hockey for parents with a lot of time and money to waste,
  • Cheer (no comment),
  • Football, which starts when the kids are about 6,
  • Basketball, both recreational and school,
  • baseball,
  • Tennis,
  • Golf,
  • Crew,
  • etc.
As I watched my 4-year-old playing semi-organized baseball this summer, I was reminded that parents should ask themselves - but rarely do - "What is the point?" Are the kids having fun? Are they learning anything or developing skills that will have value in the future? Is this the best way they can be spending their time?

The answers are not obvious, obviously.
Yeah, yeah, we know you hate sports, Mildred. Go antiquing or something and STFU.

Forum List

Back