Bar: Nifong was 'minister of injustice'

Gunny

Gold Member
Dec 27, 2004
The Republic of Texas
By AARON BEARD, Associated Press Writer
25 minutes ago

RALEIGH, N.C. - Mike Nifong, the prosecutor who doggedly pursued the now-debunked Duke University lacrosse team rape case, was a "minister of injustice" who wove "a web of deception," a state bar prosecutor said in closing statements Saturday at Nifong's ethics trial.

If convicted, the disciplinary hearing committee could suspend Nifong's law license or take it away entirely. Nifong told the panel hearing the case Friday that he would resign from his post as Durham County district attorney over his handling of the rape charges.

"Mr. Nifong did not act as a minister of justice, but as a minister of injustice," state bar prosecutor Douglas Brocker said Saturday morning.

more ... http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20070616/ap_on_re_us/duke_lacrosse

I hope when the state bar's done with this clown, the families pile on the civil suits.

This guy is a joke and a sleazebag.

Seems to me tar and feathering, then running out of town on a rail would be almost too good for this guy. He needs to suffer whatever public humiliation can possibly be heaped on him and reap some of what he has sown.

Seems to me tar and feathering, then running out of town on a rail would be almost too good for this guy. He needs to suffer whatever public humiliation can possibly be heaped on him and reap some of what he has sown.

I hope he gets dragged through the slime and those boys get their pound of flesh.

He has been disbarred.

Yes...As he deserved to be... particularly since the committee found he lied to them.

But now for the civil suits. He destroyed these boys for no reason.... withheld DNA results from the defense attorneys and Duke LaCrosse didn't compete for the season and the boys' reputations and school careers were damaged.

It's only begun.

It's a little annoying that the taxpayers will pick up the tab, but yes, I'd give 'em all a lil' pile of cash to ease the pain. I guess I'd also encourage potential employers to be cool and at least give them a chance if they would have otherwise. They'll need to put together some kind of life. Any bets on law school? Hee-hee.

Yes...As he deserved to be... particularly since the committee found he lied to them.

But now for the civil suits. He destroyed these boys for no reason.... withheld DNA results from the defense attorneys and Duke LaCrosse didn't compete for the season and the boys' reputations and school careers were damaged.

It's only begun.

Where was all this outrage when he played the race card for his reelection?

This was the perfect "crime" for this DA. A bunch of rich white bioys, rape a poor black girl, in a racist Southern state

This guy did everything a DA shouldnt.

I dont mind him believing the Girl but when the evidnece came down he should have stood up in court and withdrew the charges.

I really dont understand how he thought he was going to get away with this at that point and even Why he tried to get away with this.

He got addicted to the cameras I think.

I hope these fine young men write a book about their trials and make millions.

I hope Nyfong annomously scubbs toilets for the rest of his life.

Oh, so now other poor stripper whores can throw out accusations because they see they wont get in trouble?

That's a bit much, even for you. Kind of hard to express outrage BEFORE THE FACT.

Gunny, like the Dan Rather Ntional Guard story, this case was falling apart day after it hit the news

Even when the DNA came back negative, the same outlets that convicted the students, refused to say anything

Like I said before, these people WANTED the story to be true - and like Dan wanted his story to be true - facts got in the way

http://www.newsobserver.com/news/crime_safety/duke_lacrosse/nifong/story/608629.html
DURHAM - The county's top judge plans to suspend Durham District Attorney Mike Nifong from office Tuesday and appoint a special prosecutor to push ahead with a case against Nifong, who is soon to be stripped of his license.

Superior Court Judge Orlando Hudson, chief resident superior court judge in Durham County, came to his decision late today after learning of Nifong's plans to remain in office until July 13. Nifong told a three-member panel of the State Bar's Disciplinary Hearing Commission that he would resign.

The panel disbarred Nifong on Saturday, saying he intentionally withheld evidence and made inflammatory and prejudicial statements in his prosecution of three innocent lacrosse players who were accused of sexual assault. The disbarment would take effect 30 days after the panel serves Nifong with a written order.

Nifong's decision to stay in office until next month irked many officials, including Gov. Mike Easley, who said today that Nifong should quit immediately and return to work only to clean out his office.

Hudson has the power to suspend Nifong because in February, Beth Brewer, a Durham resident, filed a motion seeking to have the career prosecutor removed because of his actions in the Duke University lacrosse case. Brewer worked against Nifong in his November campaign for district attorney. Brewer ran a campaign for County Commissioner Lewis Cheek, who said he was running, but wouldn't accept the job.

Looks like Hudson only took action after the Governor said leaving Nifong in a position of authority until July 13 was wrong. And as I said, it looks like Nifong is headed for criminal indictments; but first things first, let's see if a special prosecutor is assigned to investigate Nifong - things do seem headed in that direction.

Alot of fences need to be mended. A lot of people need to held accountable

snip

The Duke Case's Unfinished Business
By Thomas Sowell

Not only is Nifong still liable to civil lawsuits from the three young men whose lives he tried to ruin, and criminal prosecution for his obstruction of justice and making false statements to a judge, there are many other people who disgraced themselves in hyping a lynch mob atmosphere when this case first broke last year.

The New York Times, which splashed these Duke students' pictures on the front page, along with inflammatory charges against them, and went ballistic on its editorial page, carried the story of Nifong's disbarment for prosecuting them on page 16.

The 88 Duke University faculty members who took out a hysterical ad, supporting those local loudmouths who were denouncing and threatening the Duke students, have apparently had nothing at all to say now.

Not only did many Duke University professors join the lynch mob atmosphere, so did the Duke University administration, which got rid of the lacrosse coach and cancelled the team's season, without a speck of evidence that anybody was guilty of anything.

This is one of the few times when Jesse Jackson is speechless, even though he was loudly supporting the bogus "rape" charges last year.

A local civil rights activist even had the gall to accost the mother of one of the accused students at Nifong's disbarment hearings to say that she still believes they were guilty.
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2007/06/unfinished_business.html

Forum List

Back