Bank Scam going around

Baron Von Murderpaws

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2021
In the recesses of your mind
Aside from jobs and utility company scams being geared via texting now..........

There is a new banking scam going around (or at least I just heard about it) via texts.

Here are the details of the "pay yourself" scam​

• You receive a text message that looks like a fraud alert from your bank about unusual activity. The text may look something like "Did you make a purchase of $100.00 at ABC merchant?".
  • If you respond to the text, you have now engaged the scammer and will receive a call from a number that appears to be from a bank.
  • They'll appear to be a representative from a bank and will offer to help stop the alleged fraud by asking you to send money to yourself with an online money transfer app like Zelle®.
  • The scammer will ask you for a one-time code you just received from a bank.
  • If you give them the code, they will use it to enroll their bank account with a transfer app like Zelle® using your email or phone number.
  • The scammer now has the ability to receive your money into their account.

What you can do to help stay protected​

• Don't trust caller ID — it's not always who it says it is.
  • Don't share codes based on a call you receive.
  • Don't be pressured to act immediately.

The only time you should ever give someone information over the phone is if you initiate the contact.

For instance, a friend of mine received a phone call from the IRS. They asked him questions which, at the time, seemed very direct but, with the benefit of hindsight, were actually vague. When he was asked to verify his social security number he said "Sure", and then said nothing. He was waiting for the caller to read it to him so he could confirm it. The caller said that my friend was required to state the number. He didn't, of course, and he hung up the phone.

It didn't need to ever go even that far, though, simply because it's pretty common knowledge that the IRS will never call you (or text you). You have to call them...

Aside from jobs and utility company scams being geared via texting now..........

There is a new banking scam going around (or at least I just heard about it) via texts.

Here are the details of the "pay yourself" scam​

• You receive a text message that looks like a fraud alert from your bank about unusual activity. The text may look something like "Did you make a purchase of $100.00 at ABC merchant?".
  • If you respond to the text, you have now engaged the scammer and will receive a call from a number that appears to be from a bank.
  • They'll appear to be a representative from a bank and will offer to help stop the alleged fraud by asking you to send money to yourself with an online money transfer app like Zelle®.
  • The scammer will ask you for a one-time code you just received from a bank.
  • If you give them the code, they will use it to enroll their bank account with a transfer app like Zelle® using your email or phone number.
  • The scammer now has the ability to receive your money into their account.

What you can do to help stay protected​

• Don't trust caller ID — it's not always who it says it is.
  • Don't share codes based on a call you receive.
  • Don't be pressured to act immediately.
I have been a potential victim of this. I called the number on the back of my CC -- not the one on the email. I even had a scammer try to victimize me through my virus protection company -- I did the same thing and contacted the virus protection company by a known safe gateway. Never respond to a suspect scammer by using their suggested contact method.

I have been a potential victim of this. I called the number on the back of my CC -- not the one on the email. I even had a scammer try to victimize me through my virus protection company -- I did the same thing and contacted the virus protection company by a known safe gateway. Never respond to a suspect scammer by using their suggested contact method.

Oh yeah, I always use my pre-saved number in my phone for contacting anybody or any company of importance. If not, I get on the companies corporte site and get their customer service number.

The only time you should ever give someone information over the phone is if you initiate the contact.

For instance, a friend of mine received a phone call from the IRS. They asked him questions which, at the time, seemed very direct but, with the benefit of hindsight, were actually vague. When he was asked to verify his social security number he said "Sure", and then said nothing. He was waiting for the caller to read it to him so he could confirm it. The caller said that my friend was required to state the number. He didn't, of course, and he hung up the phone.

It didn't need to ever go even that far, though, simply because it's pretty common knowledge that the IRS will never call you (or text you). You have to call them...

Unless YOU owe THEM. LOL
Then they're like "GIMME GIMME GIMME" day and night!!

If I get a call like that I just hang up and call my bank. I live in a small town and all I have to do is give my name and they have my account on the screen.

Unless YOU owe THEM. LOL
Then they're like "GIMME GIMME GIMME" day and night!!
My CC got hacked a few years ago and the company notified me! Apparently they were doing some kind of scam on people who had significant points. They straightened out the problem and monitored my acct. for unauthorized use. Two years of service from a couple of credit reporting services as well. I was impressed.

We were hit with it several times. My wife still reacts to it but when you check it out in the bank they automatically cancel your credit card and you have to go through the process all over. The lesson, don't respond to calls or e-mail messages that say somebody just charged several hundred dollars on Amazon

We were hit with it several times. My wife still reacts to it but when you check it out in the bank they automatically cancel your credit card and you have to go through the process all over. The lesson, don't respond to calls or e-mail messages that say somebody just charged several hundred dollars on Amazon
Those emails never reference an account #, they just say that your acct. has been charged $XX for a laptop. Ignore it. I've had a few of them and it there is no acct. #, that is a tipoff.

New Topics

Forum List

Back