Bank of America joins big US Banks refusing to finance drilling in Arctic Refuge

Thats all I need to hear

why cant libs wait until it is competitive before plunging ahead?

Maybe their hope is that subsidizing solar panel production will lead to the technology advancing faster. It's possible that it will. Personally rather than subsidizing the creation of panels that struggle to compete I think we should sink money directly into developing the technology to the point that the panels are so efficient that they cannot be ignored by the free market. China is way ahead of the game on this and they will reap the benefits in the years to come.

This is the way change SHOULD happen. Not by the statists eroding away our freedoms having big brother wipe all our asses.

So instead of big government over reach, we should have big business overreach?
I assume you think businesses should be forced to use their property against their will?

I do not
Then why did you say that? You made it sound negative for a business to conduct business how they see fit.

If a bank decides it's not in their best interest to give a loan then that's their decision.

I really doubt that was your position when they were forced to make loans to blacks that they knew would never be repaid.
I am against the private sector being forced to do just about anything against their will.

Was it wrong to force DuPont to pay for the mess they created?

A lasting legacy: DuPont, C8 contamination and the community of Parkersburg left to grapple with the consequences
This would fall in line with the "just about" part.

China`s goal is to go all electric by 2040 and China is the world`s largest car market. Detroit will have no choice but to follow them and so will the rest of the world.
If china has all-electric cars by 2040 a large portion of the energy will come from coal and other fossil fuels

This is the way change SHOULD happen. Not by the statists eroding away our freedoms having big brother wipe all our asses.

I assume you think businesses should be forced to use their property against their will?

I do not
Then why did you say that? You made it sound negative for a business to conduct business how they see fit.

If a bank decides it's not in their best interest to give a loan then that's their decision.

I really doubt that was your position when they were forced to make loans to blacks that they knew would never be repaid.
I am against the private sector being forced to do just about anything against their will.

Theoretically that's great -
But business that receives substancail government protections and financial backing sacrifice some autonomy in return, do they not?

Maybe their hope is that subsidizing solar companies will lead to the technology advancing faster.
All they are subsidizing are minimum wage installers to put the panels on houses

90% of the solar panels are imported and most of them from china

I hope you are right. The sun shines bright in Florida almost 365 days a year. Would be nice having NO electric bills. LOL
The reason solar seems to be expanding is because the government is subsidizes it

without massive giveaways solar would be a sick puppy

As I said if solar was viable everyone in the State would have them.
We know solar is not viable when government has to pay homeowners to do it
The government is still treating mine acid drainage from coal mines that closed in the 50s. So what if they subsidize solar power too? It`s money well spent.

I do not

Theoretically that's great -
But business that receives substancail government protections and financial backing sacrifice some autonomy in return, do they not?
Im not sure how to even argue that, honestly. I am a staunch liberal and constitutionalist. The federal govt has no power to do those things. But, as you implied, its moot at this point..

All they are subsidizing are minimum wage installers to put the panels on houses

90% of the solar panels are imported and most of them from china

Full disclosure I am not very educated on how the subsidies are used. Like I said though, instead of subsidizing the production we should be investing in the R&D. It would be really nice if China doesn't become the main producer of the future's most efficient energy technology.

Full disclosure I am not very educated on how the subsidies are used. Like I said though, instead of subsidizing the production we should be investing in the R&D. It would be really nice if China doesn't become the main producer of the future's most efficient energy technology.
I think we need production

investing in R&D is pointless when some chinese graduate student at MIT or Berkley is waiting to pounce on it like a vulture and send the knowledge back to china

if on the other hand the federal government only subsidized panels made in America we would benefit two ways

In China

the chinese are profiting and building up their manufacturing capacity and we are not

Stupid, Stupid, Stupid

How do we approach this in a way that allows us to be the main benefactors of this up and coming technology rather than China?

investing in R&D is pointless when some chinese graduate student at MIT or Berkley is waiting to pounce on it like a vulture and send the knowledge back to china

if on the other had the federal government only subsidized panels made in America we would benefit two ways

Even if the Chinese are copying us we would still be the leaders in innovation. Do we really want them to be the ones releasing the newest and best technology all the time? Would it not be better if it's them copying and trying to keep up with us? Also if you take out the competitive nationalistic element it is simply to the benefit of all of humanity to advance this technology as quickly as possible.

Last edited:

if on the other had the federal government only subsidized panels made in America we would benefit two ways

Even if the Chinese are copying us we would still be the leaders in innovation. Do we really want them to be the ones releasing the newest and best technology all the time? Would it not be better if it's them copying and trying to keep up with us? Also if you take out the competitive nationalistic element it is simply to the benefit of all of humanity to advance this technology as quickly as possible.
Of course we need research

but Americans are lazy and dont want to manufacture anymore

research that leads to new products is pretty useless when china can cut off production or those products anytime we do something they dont like

Of course we need research

but Americans are lazy and dont want to manufacture anymore

research that leads to new products is pretty useless when china can cut off production or those products anytime we do something they dont like

I'm definitely on board with us finding a way to be the leaders in R&D and production of solar technology. How do we do that when you have people in China working for quarters on top of the Chinese government taking solar way more seriously than we do currently? On our current trajectory we will be the leaders of neither. We need to get our shit together if that's going to change.

How do we do that when you have people in China working for quarters on top of the Chinese government taking solar way more seriously than we do currently?
Thats easy

the entire market for solar panels is based on US government subsidies

tell homeowners they have to install American solar panels or pay the full amount themselves

not 1 in a 1000 will pay the full price themselves

I hope you are right. The sun shines bright in Florida almost 365 days a year. Would be nice having NO electric bills. LOL
The reason solar seems to be expanding is because the government is subsidizes it

without massive giveaways solar would be a sick puppy

The government does and has long subsidized oil also.

The government does and has long subsidized oil also.

How?

Forum List

Back