Bands that went to hell....

Why?

What makes it a "horrible" song?

What makes a "good" voice?

I say he sounded fine on "Janie's got a gun."

LOL

What makes music "quality?"

If you're looking for musical quality, you might try "Yes," or "Kansas."

a) A horrible song is subjective, admittedly. I mean... the most popular band in the world right now is BTS. A group of Japanese teenagers basically doing a rerun of Backstreet boys. I call that horrible, but I am way outnumbered on that.
To me Jamie's got a gun is horrible because of its banal repetitive, almost droning on Jamie's got a gun... Jamie's got a gun... pheh.

b) A good voice is also subjective, but in this song, to me, particularly the "Jamie's got a gun" (that he says 18 times in the freaking song) sounds like someone who had a laryngectomy. 20 years ago his lower ranges didn't sound like BB's being shaken in a metal pot

c) Quality is not nearly as subjective. To make the point, going to extremes - Mary had a little lamb and Swan Lake.
Or with Aerosmith... Nobody's Fault and Jamie's got a gun.
If one can't tell which one is the higher quality song...

d) Yes is awesome. Supertramp is better.

Last edited:
a) A horrible song is subjective, admittedly. I mean... the most popular band in the world right now is BTS. A group of Japanese teenagers basically doing a rerun of Backstreet boys. I call that horrible, but I am way outnumbered on that.
To me Jamie's got a gun is horrible because of its banal repetitive, almost droning on Jamie's got a gun... Jamie's got a gun... pheh.

b) A good voice is also subjective, but in this song, to me, particularly the "Jamie's got a gun" (that he says 18 times in the freaking song) sounds like someone who had a laryngectomy. 20 years ago his lower ranges didn't sound like BB's being shaken in a metal pot

c) Quality is not nearly as subjective. To make the point, going to extremes - Mary had a little lamb and Swan Lake.
Or with Aerosmith... Nobody's Fault and Jamie's got a gun.
If one can't tell which one is the higher quality song...

d) Yes is awesome. Supertramp is better.
All you post is entirely subjective.

What is a good song? One that people like. "Janies got a gun" is the 3rd highest selling Aerosmith single. The second highest for them is a song they didn't even write "I don't want to miss a thing." And "Dream on" remains their highest selling.

So from the criterion of what people like, those are their best three songs.

Musically, well Aerosmith never was a complex band. What I would call their most musically accomplished song would probably be "Kings and Queens."

Joe Perry is a good guitar player with great rhythm and impeccable timing, which is why songs like "Walk this way," which are mediocre at best musically work, the beat catches you.

All you post is entirely subjective.

What is a good song? One that people like. "Janies got a gun" is the 3rd highest selling Aerosmith single. The second highest for them is a song they didn't even write "I don't want to miss a thing." And "Dream on" remains their highest selling.

So from the criterion of what people like, those are their best three songs.

Musically, well Aerosmith never was a complex band. What I would call their most musically accomplished song would probably be "Kings and Queens."

Joe Perry is a good guitar player with great rhythm and impeccable timing, which is why songs like "Walk this way," which are mediocre at best musically work, the beat catches you.
well...yeah... the entire thread is subjective.
And in my opinion... Aerosmith went to crap.
And popularity has little to do with what is best or worst.
I think I made that point pretty well.

well...yeah... the entire thread is subjective.
And in my opinion... Aerosmith went to crap.
And popularity has little to do with what is best or worst.
I think I made that point pretty well.

You're entitled to you opinion.

I love "I want to be sedated" by the Ramones. It's a totally crap song from every perspective, yet still catchy. They literally play a single note through 90% of it. Yet it's still an enjoyable song.

The country music band named Little Texas sadly never did re-claim the popularity that they once had after their former lead singer went solo.

God bless you and each past and present member always!!!

Holly

New Topics

Forum List

Back