Ban Smoking in Public Housing?

Compost

Diamond Member
Sep 11, 2015
Is it reasonable to ask people not to smoke in their apartments? This is their home. Shouldn't they be able to smoke if they want to, in their home?

While many public housing buildings are already smoke-free, this policy may go national. It was announced on Thursday that a new ban on smoking in public housing is being considered. A ban on smoking would make cleaning and maintaining units far easier and cheaper, in addition to lowering fire risks.

Smoking would be prohibited in public housing homes nationwide under a proposed federal rule announced on Thursday, a move that would affect nearly one million households and open the latest front in the long-running campaign to curb unwanted exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.

The ban, by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, would also require that common areas and administrative offices on public housing property be smoke-free.

The impact of the prohibition would be felt most heavily by the New York City Housing Authority, which is known as Nycha and houses more than 400,000 people in about 178,000 apartments. Though it is the largest public housing agency in the country, it has lagged behind many of its smaller counterparts in adopting smoke-free policies.

more here
Christine Rousselle - Smoking May Be Banned in Public Housing

As a smoker, we're gonna get militant pretty soon if all these anti-smoking laws keep getting passed. We have matches and lighters and know how to use them :)

Is it reasonable to ask people not to smoke in their apartments? This is their home. Shouldn't they be able to smoke if they want to, in their home?

While many public housing buildings are already smoke-free, this policy may go national. It was announced on Thursday that a new ban on smoking in public housing is being considered. A ban on smoking would make cleaning and maintaining units far easier and cheaper, in addition to lowering fire risks.

Smoking would be prohibited in public housing homes nationwide under a proposed federal rule announced on Thursday, a move that would affect nearly one million households and open the latest front in the long-running campaign to curb unwanted exposure to secondhand tobacco smoke.

The ban, by the Department of Housing and Urban Development, would also require that common areas and administrative offices on public housing property be smoke-free.

The impact of the prohibition would be felt most heavily by the New York City Housing Authority, which is known as Nycha and houses more than 400,000 people in about 178,000 apartments. Though it is the largest public housing agency in the country, it has lagged behind many of its smaller counterparts in adopting smoke-free policies.

more here

Is it fair to ask how many at HUD smoke?

Interesting issue.

Cigarette smoke travels.......it penetrates porous surfaces. It makes the immediate environment unhealthy and unpleasant. It costs money to rid a space of the odor and discoloration ( ask Paul Ryan ). It's not a bad idea to limit tobacco use in publicly subsidized housing for these reasons.

I believe that any property owner can designate his or her property as non smoking. This isn't going to be legally challenged.

I smoke the occasion a cigar........outside. I'd never want to pollute the inside of my home with the smoke.

Where will the nutters come down on this one. On one hand....they want to make anyone who accepts any public assistance miserable......but they supposedly can't stand it when people are told what to do in their own homes.

more here

Is it fair to ask how many at HUD smoke?
Fair?

Interesting issue.

Cigarette smoke travels.......it penetrates porous surfaces. It makes the immediate environment unhealthy and unpleasant. It costs money to rid a space of the odor and discoloration ( ask Paul Ryan ). It's not a bad idea to limit tobacco use in publicly subsidized housing for these reasons.

I believe that any property owner can designate his or her property as non smoking. This isn't going to be legally challenged.

I smoke the occasion a cigar........outside. I'd never want to pollute the inside of my home with the smoke.

Where will the nutters come down on this one. On one hand....they want to make anyone who accepts any public assistance miserable......but they supposedly can't stand it when people are told what to do in their own homes.
And your cigar smoke bothers people outside. Who is the nutter?

Interesting issue.

End game for the anti-smoking gestapo is a complete alcohol prohibition like ban. No one'd support that all at once though so they're doing it a bit at a time. Like the perverbial frog in a pot of slowly boiling water. Raise the temp too quickly it jumps out, but if you do it gradually giving it time to acclimate it'll stay put and boil to death (not really though I checked hehe.)

Interesting issue.

Huh?

Interesting issue.

End game for the anti-smoking gestapo is a complete alcohol prohibition like ban. No one'd support that all at once though so they're doing it a bit at a time. Like the perverbial frog in a pot of slowly boiling water. Raise the temp too quickly it jumps out, but if you do it gradually giving it time to acclimate it'll stay put and boil to death (not really though I checked hehe.)

What would a perfect world regarding cigarette smoking look like?

more here
I can understand a ban on smoking in enclosed common areas, but I don't care what people do behind their own closed doors. So no, it isn't reasonable to ask people not to smoke in their apartments.

Interesting issue.

What would a perfect world regarding cigarette smoking look like?

Way they do it here is sensible and fair. Apartments are divided into 4 sections with a common area seperating them. 2 of the sections are for smokers, 2 for non-smokers. Can smoke on your balcony or outside in any, but only inside in the ones designated for smokers. Can't smoke in the pool area (local ordinance,) clubhouse (apt rules,) of anywhere inside in the common areas (hallways and the seperating areas.

Works fine.

Interesting issue.

Huh?
It was a joke. You know? Humor. Should I have included a smiley face to help you?

Forum List

Back