Bagging vs Mulching

Which is better for the lawn?

Combination.

You might consider doing every other week.

However if you are over watering and fertilizing the grass, it can cause bad thatch accumulation, Then you are forced to bag every single mowing.

Better to cut back on the watering, fertilizing, then you can mulch part of the time to all of the time.

Recycling grass into the lawn is also recycling some of the nitrogen (maybe 25%), which is good, IF you don't over fertilize.

mulching is always better cause it returns the nutrients to the soil,,,

Not always.

If the lawn is overwatered and fertilized, Thatch becomes a problem. Then you have to bag the clippings up.

I have had to repair lawns because of poor lawn management, first used a de thatching machine (too much damage) later used the spring loaded raker attached to the mower blade, a much gentler de thatching process.

I water my yard two times a week and three times a week at peak heat season (100+ degrees low humidity)

Let the grass grow taller and mow at a taller level during the summer, shorter in the spring and fall part of the year.

mulching is always better cause it returns the nutrients to the soil,,,

Not always.

If the lawn is overwatered and fertilized, Thatch becomes a problem. Then you have to bag the clippings up.

I have had to repair lawns because of poor lawn management, first used a de thatching machine (too much damage) later used the spring loaded raker attached to the mower blade, a much gentler de thatching process.

I water my yard two times a week and three times a week at peak heat season (100+ degrees low humidity)

Let the grass grow taller and mow at a taller level during the summer, shorter in the spring and fall part of the year.
of course climate has a lot to do with it,,like in some areas where grass is forced to grow like a desert area, and also what your expectations are,,,

here in KC I have never bagged or watered and had no problems,,,gets kinda brown in the hot times but I dont really care,,,

generally mulching is better because you are returning nutrients to the sol unless you have a disease problem, in which case bagging would be better. I have this fight with a brother who believes in bagging. With mulching blades, my yard looks just as clean as his and is a lot healthier without the need for fertilizer, etc.

Forum List

Back