BadPower attack corrupts fast chargers to melt or set your device on fire

Ringel05

Diamond Member
Aug 5, 2009
Duke City
More stuff to worry about.........

Chinese security researchers said they can alter the firmware of fast chargers to cause damage to connected (charging) systems, such as melt components, or even set devices on fire.
A BadPower attack is silent, as there are no prompts or interactions the attacker needs to go through, but also fast, as the threat actor only needs to connect their attack rig to the fast charger, wait a few seconds, and leave, having modified the firmware.
Furthermore, on some fast charger models, the attacker doesn't need special equipment, and researchers say the attack code can also be loaded on regular smartphones and laptops.
When the user connects their infected smartphone or laptop to the fast charger, the malicious code modifies the charger's firmware, and going forward the fast charger will execute a power overload for any subsequently connected devices.

https://www.zdnet.com/article/badpo...82666792777879442&mid=12936923&cid=2276947595

Chinese security researchers said they can alter the firmware of fast chargers to cause damage to connected (charging) systems, such as melt components, or even set devices on fire.
A BadPower attack is silent, as there are no prompts or interactions the attacker needs to go through, but also fast, as the threat actor only needs to connect their attack rig to the fast charger, wait a few seconds, and leave, having modified the firmware.
Furthermore, on some fast charger models, the attacker doesn't need special equipment, and researchers say the attack code can also be loaded on regular smartphones and laptops.
When the user connects their infected smartphone or laptop to the fast charger, the malicious code modifies the charger's firmware, and going forward the fast charger will execute a power overload for any subsequently connected devices.

BadPower attack corrupts fast chargers to melt or set your device on fire | ZDNet
Ringel, you are more tech than I am now, because I just do not keep up anymore and offer no services outside my home anymore to employers or others.
Does this include things like my solar battery charging pack that that I take camping and long distance kayaking, that has two charging rates? The only time it could possible communicate with the outside world is when charging my phone. Before leaving on a trip, I charge it from a wall USB port receptacle, not USB on computer.

BadPower attack corrupts fast chargers to melt or set your device on fire | ZDNet
Ringel, you are more tech than I am now, because I just do not keep up anymore and offer no services outside my home anymore to employers or others.
Does this include things like my solar battery charging pack that that I take camping and long distance kayaking, that has two charging rates? The only time it could possible communicate with the outside world is when charging my phone. Before leaving on a trip, I charge it from a wall USB port receptacle, not USB on computer.
It didn't say anything about solar chargers just fast chargers. If your wall charger recharges your phone or laptop/tablet/notebook in (usually) under an hour it's a fast charger. If the malicious code is placed on one of your devices it will infect the fast charger.

It didn't say anything about solar chargers just fast chargers. If your wall charger recharges your phone or laptop/tablet/notebook in (usually) under an hour it's a fast charger. If the malicious code is placed on one of your devices it will infect the fast charger.
Not my charger, though it has a fast charge switch, but my Iphone that is in almost constant contact with the internet. Hope Apple does a good job of protecting. I don't really care about being out of contact in the backwoods or on rivers, but it apparently still worries the crap out of my family. You would think I was 16 years old and out with the family car for the first time.

Not my charger, though it has a fast charge switch, but my Iphone that is in almost constant contact with the internet. Hope Apple does a good job of protecting. I don't really care about being out of contact in the backwoods or on rivers, but it apparently still worries the crap out of my family. You would think I was 16 years old and out with the family car for the first time.
Probably worried about him out there......

9bb8cb59fc8f99d57978e95360c35150--makeup-man-werewolf-makeup.jpg

Didn't know you had werewolves out in New Mexico, just the occasional Big Foot up in the hills. The women in my life are just wusses, only ready for adventure involving hotels or tourist trap gift shops.

Didn't know you had werewolves out in New Mexico, just the occasional Big Foot up in the hills. The women in my life are just wusses, only ready for adventure involving hotels or tourist trap gift shops.
Nope not here, they're back east. We have Chupacabras.

48433.jpg

And Graboids..........

Tremors-Graboid.gif

But we also have the Gummers so all's well.

Gummers.jpg

Forum List

Back