Bad News For Repubs; Economy May Be Getting Better

Sundial

Class Warrior
Aug 1, 2011
WASHINGTON (Reuters) — Consumer spending rose at its fastest rate in five months in July, easing concerns that the economy was falling back into recession.

The size of the increase in spending beat economists’ forecasts for a 0.5 percent advance. When adjusted for inflation, spending was up 0.5 percent last month, the largest gain in 1 1/2 years and the first increase since April.

“It’s a little far-fetched to truly believe that we are headed into another recession. This data doesn’t support that view at all,” said Joel Naroff, chief economist at Naroff Economic Advisors in Holland, Pa.

Good news for Obama?

I for one would be ecstatic if the economy improved but the odds seem rather slim..

WASHINGTON (Reuters) — Consumer spending rose at its fastest rate in five months in July, easing concerns that the economy was falling back into recession.

The size of the increase in spending beat economists’ forecasts for a 0.5 percent advance. When adjusted for inflation, spending was up 0.5 percent last month, the largest gain in 1 1/2 years and the first increase since April.

“It’s a little far-fetched to truly believe that we are headed into another recession. This data doesn’t support that view at all,” said Joel Naroff, chief economist at Naroff Economic Advisors in Holland, Pa.

Good news for Obama?

I don't think a .5% increase is anything to get thrilled about, but it is a hell of a lot better than a .5% decrease.

On the other hand, I will wait for the corrections next month.

And the news is not all good...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/business/economy/us-consumer-spending-rallied-in-july.html

But the risks of a new recession have risen this month as stock prices plunged and consumer sentiment eroded.

The spending report showed inflation-adjusted after-tax incomes fell in July, while data from the Dallas Federal Reserve Bank indicated factory output in Texas ground to a near halt this month.

The Texas factory index dropped to 1.1 from 10.8 in July, while a business confidence gauge slid to –11.4 from –2.0. The decline in sentiment was in line with other recent regional manufacturing surveys. In those indexes, zero is the dividing line between growth and contraction.

Funny in the same report how it says:

easing concerns that the economy was falling back into recession.

and:

But the risks of a new recession have risen this month

Those two statements seem almost contradictory to me.

Immie

Give it time

Tea Baggers still have plenty of time to trash the economy

And the news is not all good...

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/08/30/business/economy/us-consumer-spending-rallied-in-july.html

Funny in the same report how it says:

easing concerns that the economy was falling back into recession.

and:

But the risks of a new recession have risen this month

Those two statements seem almost contradictory to me.

Immie

Almost only counts in horseshoes, hand grenades, and global thermonuclear war (which is really just hand grenades on a slightly larger scale).

Give it time

Even accepting your premise, which I find dubious given the size of TEA party, the EU and Far East are far more likely to set off a double dip and soon:

The AAA guarantors of the EU bail out are beginning to demand collateral and lots of it to bail out the PIIGS so sovereign default is increasingly likely.

In the Far East Japan and China are dealing with acute demographic problems as are all of the minor countries in the area.

To claim that any American political movement is as big an economic threat as either of those two non-domestic threats is absurd.

LOL-FUCKING-L

And the only reason you care if the economy get's better is so that you can use it to attack Republicans???

Well, odds are the economy is not and will not get better... What then, bad news for Dems and Obama?

Fucking moron...

Give it time

This is known as "I know the OP is full of shit so lets give Obama credit for something *good* that has not actually yet happened now, so later when the OP is proven wrong we can trash the TP again!"

YaY, RW is fucking retarded!

I have never seen someone flip flop as much as you RW on the economy... One week it's growing by leaps and bounds and you're demanding people give credit to Obama, the next it's in freefall and you're demanding people blame the Tea Party... It's fuckin funny as shit to watch you and I ain't the only one laffin.

Give it time

Tea Baggers still have plenty of time to trash the economy.

Certainly no one is so morally bankrupt as to cheer poor economic news in the hope to realize partisan gain, resulting in the continued suffering of millions of Americans – say it ain’t so…

Anyone else getting SICK of these types of threads?

As if REPUBLICANS aren't average people just as DEMOCRATS are.

People are different. They have different needs, different beliefs, different values and different levels of education/understanding. In context, the OP suggests that the Republican Party hopes the economy remains stagnant until the next general election; the GOP has done nothing to help the American worker since the economy tanked on their watch in 2008.

People are different. They have different needs, different beliefs, different values and different levels of education/understanding. In context, the OP suggests that the Republican Party hopes the economy remains stagnant until the next general election; the GOP has done nothing to help the American worker since the economy tanked on their watch in 2008.

ummmmmmmmmm yeah ok. :eusa_whistle:

Give it time

Take your meds, your stupidity level is climbing again.

Seriously.... exactly how will these 'Tea baggers' manage to 'trash the economy'? :lol: How much power do you think they have? :lol:

On the bright side, your post is gonna make me laugh for quite some time.

Good news for Obama?

Take out the increased consumer spending on rising oil and food prices and I suspect you'll see that consumer's aren't more confident, they're just forced to pay more for things that they MUST have.

And no, that is NOT good news for Obama.

Give it time

This is known as "I know the OP is full of shit so lets give Obama credit for something *good* that has not actually yet happened now, so later when the OP is proven wrong we can trash the TP again!"

I have never seen someone flip flop as much as you RW on the economy... One week it's growing by leaps and bounds and you're demanding people give credit to Obama, the next it's in freefall and you're demanding people blame the Tea Party... It's fuckin funny as shit to watch you and I ain't the only one laffin.

Obama runs the economy.......didn't you hear

It does what he tells it to do. As bad as the Tea Tards want to destroy this great country, Our President will ultimately prevail

Give it time

Obama runs the economy.......didn't you hear

It does what he tells it to do. As bad as the Tea Tards want to destroy this great country, Our President will ultimately prevail

you really are hysterical. As if the Tea Party has some magic powers or something.

Good news for Obama?

Apparently not...
U.S. Consumer Confidence Drops in August to Lowest Point in Two Years

A private research group says that consumers' confidence in the U.S. economy in August dropped almost 15 points to its lowest level since April 2009 as worries about the economy fueled the wildest stock market swings since the financial meltdown in 2008.

The Conference Board says Tuesday that its Consumer Confidence Index dropped to 44.5, down from a revised 59.2 in July. It was the lowest level since April 2009 when the reading was 40.8. The level was far below the 53.3 that analysts had expected.

A reading above 90 indicates the economy is on solid footing; above 100 signals strong growth. Economists watch the numbers closely because consumer spending accounts for 70 percent of U.S. economic activity.

Thank you, Obamanomics.

Yeah well if it were not for all you fucking liberal’s that sat around wishing for a fucking depression to happen under Bush so you could get a Democrats elected we wouldn't be in this mess...

You mean like that? You fucking idiot... See how dumb you people sound.

Good news for Obama?

How is a better economy bad news for anyone?

what kind of bigot thinks republicans would take this as bad news?

anyway

.5% is nothing to brag about. He needs to pull a rabbit out of thin air, while shirtless to get the UE and economy back on track in time to get re-elected.

New Topics

Forum List

Back