Bad Mexico Experience

Viktor

Diamond Member
Sep 21, 2013
Southern California
My name is Arthur Tandy, I was arrested in Mexico on 9/20/22 for having ammunition in my auto. I got caught in traffic at the border with California and did not intend to enter Mexico at all. I don't speak Spanish and don't know anyone there and the crime rate there is terrible.

They kept me in jail for 4 days. I have medical problems and they refused to even give me an aspirin for pain. The bed in my cell was steel with no mattress or pillow. The only food I got was one small sandwich 3 times a day. The place was filthy and loaded with insects. They kept us awake all night with loud banging and yelling at us.

I asked for a chair to sit on and was refused.

Twice they told me I was going home and those were lies. They sent a private attorney and I made a contract with him but he did nothing to help me.I offered to pay his fees and he refused to accept the money. He told me he would call my sister to make a deal with her and he never did. I ended up with a public defender at the hearing who just sat there and said nothing in my defense.

They finally let me go home but they kept my automobile. They tried to keep my wallet and credit cards but I complained and they finally gave them back to me. I have to go back for another hearing on November 18. They also kept my keys so I could not get back into my home. I had to go in thru the window to get in. These people have no regard for human rights.

I researched Mexican law and discovered I can have anyone represent me even if he is not a lawyer licensed in Mexico. I will hire an American lawyer. I am a retired Accountant and Navy veteran. I was born in Chicago Ill and am 76 years old with bad kidneys and high blood pressure.

My advice: Stay out of Mexico

My name is Arthur Tandy, I was arrested in Mexico on 9/20/22 for having ammunition in my auto. I got caught in traffic at the border with California and did not intend to enter Mexico at all. I don't speak Spanish and don't know anyone there and the crime rate there is terrible.

They kept me in jail for 4 days. I have medical problems and they refused to even give me an aspirin for pain. The bed in my cell was steel with no mattress or pillow. The only food I got was one small sandwich 3 times a day. The place was filthy and loaded with insects. They kept us awake all night with loud banging and yelling at us.

Twice they told me I was going home and those were lies. They sent a private attorney and I made a contract with him but he did nothing to help me.I offered to pay his fees and he refused to accept the money. He told me he would call my sister to make a deal with her and he never did. I ended up with a public defender at the hearing who just sat there and said nothing in my defense.

They finally let me go home but they kept my automobile. They tried to keep my wallet and credit cards but I complained and they finally gave them back to me. I have to go back for another hearing on November 18. They also kept my keys so I could not get back into my home. I had to go in thru the window to get in. These people have no regard for human rights.

I researched Mexican law and discovered I can have anyone represent me even if he is not a lawyer licensed in Mexico. I will hire an American lawyer. I am a retired Accountant and Navy veteran. I was born in Chicago Ill and am 76 years old with bad kidneys and high blood pressure.

I have no intention of ever going to the North American version of Somalia, right across our Southern border.

Sounds a lot like what happened to Tahmooressi.

One has to wonder what you were doing with ammo in your car in Mexico?

You gotta know your shit, and have some connections if your going south of the border, and intend on leaving designated tourist areas. Cover your bases, and there is quite a lot of fun to be had, that you'd never think of trying here in the US. It's a big wide world out there...

A reminder that Americans are some of the nicest people on earth.

You would never treat a Mexican who illegally entered your country as they would treat you.

I grew up in the southwest. Been going to Mexico since I was 7 years old. Crossed the border in Matamoros, Juarez, Palomas, Nogales and Tijuana. I have traveled to Ensenada, Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Guadalajara, Mexico City, Acapulco, Huatulco, Playa Del Carmen, Cancun and Valladolid. I have NEVER had a bad experience in Mexico. The people are warm, friendly and respectful--if treated the same way. I speak poquito Espanol, and have always found the people very helpful. I'd rather go to Mexico than So Cal.

Back in the mid-80s I bought two Longbranch Enfields at a yard sale on the Canadian side of Niagara Falls.

I just drove back with them, I never even thought about it. I don't even know if it was a thing like it is now or not.

I remember we would go Pike/Walleye fishing up there and they did not care if you had a long gun, just no handguns.....If you did you could leave it with them, they gave you a receipt, and you picked it up on the way back....They were pretty cool back then.

Lol, OK. Uh, not sure what to say. Lol, kinda hilarious. Lol, jail anit nice any where. Lol, kinda hard to end up in jail in Mexico. Likely more to the story here. But ya, ok.

How do you end up in Mexico if you didn't even intend going there?

I have driven into Canada many times, but I recall once getting a particularly militant customs officer that apparently had an axe to grind. He asked me if I had a firearm. I said no. He asked me if I owned firearms. I said yes. He asked me if I transported firearms. I said yes. He asked, incredulously, Why would you want to transport a firearm. I said that I don't hunt at home and I shoot trap and skeet. Finally he asked snidely, no chance that you forgot one of your firearms in your car. I replied Absolutely not. He finally let me in. I am VERY careful to respect the laws of the host country to which I am traveling--I wish people coming to the US did the same.

You're really missing out. I'd rather go most places in Mexico than Chicago, NYC, Baltimore, Philadelphia, Seattle, Portland, LA or St. Louis.

The dove hunting outside Juarez is way better than trying to hunt pigeons in downtown Chicago or New York City ...
And the Mexicans are friendly there.

The dove hunting outside Juarez is way better than trying to hunt pigeons in downtown Chicago or New York City ...
And the Mexicans are friendly there.

We went to the bullfights downtown in Juarez in the 60s. It was better than any NFL game I've ever been to. There was a club that my dad liked called the Florida Club that we would have dinner at. I think it is still there. The last time I went to that club was in the late 70s and they had the same maitre' d. Good memories. I went back to Juarez a couple years ago and I was amazed at how much cleaner it was than I remembered as a kid.

Forum List

Back