Back in the day before video games

Sunni Man

Diamond Member
Aug 14, 2008
Patriotic American Muslim
1614446799399.png

I remember it well, used to play spy games during the night (my parents never knew I was out of bed) and also Hide and go seek games too. Played clothe pins racing in the shelterbelt narrow streams, and visit across the street to play Strat o Matic Football games.

Twice built large underground forts with a couple of friends in the shelterbelt.

I grew up in the North of Ireland in the 1970's.
Just across the street from a British Army Barracks.
We had regular bombings, shootings and riots.
As a kid this was absolutely fantastic and exciting.
I also remember waking up and having to light a fire in the fireplace each morning. The only heating in the house.Which, again, I thought was great.
And we all had to learn how to scrap. Fight and scraps were a part of growing up. I remember some great fighters and almost everyone had a washboard stomach.

Television programmes started at around 10 in the morning and ended around 11 at night (closing with the National Anthem).
We used to hear about the 24 hour T.V in the USA and being in awe.

The underground fort we built to suck on a few beers was fun! It lasted until we hit the skeleton and even then it made a good candle holder.

It all ended when one of us loaded some long bones in his Radio Flyer and paraded down the main drag singing:

Then all hell broke loose.

Police seized dem bones and sent them out for analysis - thought we'd killed somebody. Then they found they were colonial-era bones. Wanted to charge us with disturbing graves but there were no markings of any kind and no record of any cemetery. Then we got quarantined 'cause nobody knew what had killed the folks in the hole. Maybe Spanish Flu? No - that hadn't been invented at the time they were laid down for a dirt nap.

You think "forces for good in the community" might have filled in our hole?

Nope. Too much work and too inaccessible. But they did confiscate all our roofing and empties.

But we did abandon the hole.

Dug a new one deeper in the woods and our buyer changed liquor stores.

That would have been 1956 or '57.

Television programmes started at around 10 in the morning and ended around 11 at night (closing with the National Anthem).
We used to hear about the 24 hour T.V in the USA and being in awe.

It was the same here.
I remember Saturday morning cartoons. It was called super Saturday.
And my parents letting us stay up to watch Johnny Carson. Hell,we didnt understand half the jokes it was just an excuse to stay up longer.

Back then, I assumed (wrongly) that in 2021 we would be a little bit more progressed than we actually are.
I was expecting something more Buck Rogers than Dr Levine..

we played Japs and Americans, and Cowboys and Indians.
All hate crimes now.

We left in the morning, came back for lunch, then were gone all day, traveled miles on our bikes over hill and dale by road, through woods, and were OK so long as we were back in time for dinner.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back