Bachmann promises $2/gallon gas if she is President

Auxous

Rookie
Aug 9, 2011
I am not buying this promises. Even if we increased domestic production, I don't think we have enough to bring gas prices under $2/gallons. With the growing economies of China and India, I don't see gas prices falling. At best they will stabilize. The days of cheap gas are over.

Republican U.S. presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann promises voters gas prices would fall to $2 per gallon if she makes it to the White House in 2013.

Speaking Tuesday at a town hall meeting in South Carolina, the Tea Party favorite said her energy policies would send gas prices plummeting, The Hill reported.

"Under President Bachmann, you will see gasoline come down below $2 per gallon again. That will happen," the Minnesota congresswoman said, arguing expanded drilling off both U.S. coasts and in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would cause America to be awash with oil and gas.
Michele Bachmann promises $2 per gallon gas as president - UPI.com

I am not buying this promises. Even if we increased domestic production, I don't think we have enough to bring gas prices under $2/gallons. With the growing economies of China and India, I don't see gas prices falling. At best they will stabilize. The days of cheap gas are over.

Republican U.S. presidential hopeful Michele Bachmann promises voters gas prices would fall to $2 per gallon if she makes it to the White House in 2013.

Speaking Tuesday at a town hall meeting in South Carolina, the Tea Party favorite said her energy policies would send gas prices plummeting, The Hill reported.

"Under President Bachmann, you will see gasoline come down below $2 per gallon again. That will happen," the Minnesota congresswoman said, arguing expanded drilling off both U.S. coasts and in Alaska's Arctic National Wildlife Refuge would cause America to be awash with oil and gas.
Michele Bachmann promises $2 per gallon gas as president - UPI.com

Unless she has some great plan to crush demand and maintain a perpetual recession/depression, she has no idea what she's talking about. Not that anyone is surprised by anything this dingbat utters.

The age of cheap energy IS over. That is confirmed by the IEA, the Pentagon, the U.S. DoE, the German government, Oxford Univ. and countless other entities. That is because global demand has finally outstripped man's capacity to bring it to market. Somewhere in the middle of last decade, and it ain't getting any better, it's getting much worse.

Last edited:
2.00 dollar gas IS A GOOD THING. If we drill for our oil and open up the gulf, Atlantic, anwar to drilling we can easily get it down to 2.00 a gallon....In early 2009 it was below 2.00, so it is possible. Even more so if we cut the red tape!

I support this idea!

2.00 dollar gas IS A GOOD THING. If we drill for our oil and open up the gulf, Atlantic, anwar to drilling we can easily get it down to 2.00 a gallon....In early 2009 it was below 2.00, so it is possible. Even more so if we cut the red tape!

I support this idea!

It wasn't an 'idea', it was a 'promise'. Since the federal tax on gas is around 18.4c on the gallon, it is an impossible promise to keep. I distrust any politician who makes promises they cannot keep. It's bullshit.

I support this idea!

maybe for a few months, but the truth is... there's really not that much oil in any of those places you mention, and all of them combined, x10, still wouldn't be enough.

we consume 88-89 million barrels per day.

I support this idea!

maybe for a few months, but the truth is... there's really not that much oil in any of those places you mention, and all of them combined, x10, still wouldn't be enough.

we consume 88-89 million barrels per day.

Also, it takes years to get oil out of new drilling sites. It's not like you just drill a hole and out comes refined oil ready for consumers.

I support this idea!

I promise gas below $1.00.

And a set of steak knives with every fill up!

Bachmann promises $2/gallon gas if she is President

Can she really be that stupid?

And worse, can her supporters be that stupid?

That second question was a rhetorical question, incidently.

Excellent article by an actual geologist.

Bachmann the oil geologist | BrainerdDispatch.com | Brainerd, Minnesota

There is one way she might bring down gasoline prices. That would be by implementing policies which repeat the severe recession of 2008/2009. Instead of that, I think she naively believes that she can affect world oil prices by flooding the market with American oil. This makes her just another politician who makes statements in an area where she has little knowledge.

Not voting for her because of these unimaginable promises.

Remember that BP oil spill that killed Spongebob and Exxon's pipe burst in Yellowstone?
If we drill the heck out of everything, then we are just digging our grave even deeper.

What we need to do is become the world leader in using alternative energy!
USA made exporting to the world? I like!
Put OUR people to work! America is lacking Innovation as businesses are flocking to China for the $$$

How about lets make solar powered vehicles that also use batteries, natrual gas, hydrogen fuel, and other alternatives combined? Demand for Oil will drop aswell as the price.

New Topics

Forum List

Back