Bachman Wins

Tancredo and Brownback got that many votes?? I guess we SHOULDN'T take the poll seriously :lol:

I'm unsure as to why any straw poll is taken so seriously. Or one state like Iowa.

Ames Straw Poll has correctly predicted the GOP candidate twice (technically) out of five times. I say technically because the year Dole won, he was tied with Gramm.

And in 2007, I bet McCain must have done pretty well.

Ames Straw Poll - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Place Candidate Votes Percentage
1 Mitt Romney 4,516 31.6%
2 Mike Huckabee 2,587 18.1%
3 Sam Brownback 2,192 15.3%
4 Tom Tancredo 1,961 13.7%
5 Ron Paul 1,305 9.1%
6 Tommy Thompson 1,039 7.3%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 0.7%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.3%

Oh.

Fair point, but this still adds legitimacy to Bachmann and Paul's campaigns.

Tancredo and Brownback got that many votes?? I guess we SHOULDN'T take the poll seriously :lol:

I'm unsure as to why any straw poll is taken so seriously. Or one state like Iowa.

Ames Straw Poll has correctly predicted the GOP candidate twice (technically) out of five times. I say technically because the year Dole won, he was tied with Gramm.

It's like anything else. The media says so, so it is.

5 Ron Paul 1,305 9.1%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 0.7%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.3%

Oh.

That was the very point I was trying to make before you crawled up my ass lol.

I think this is going to backfire on Mitt, he is trying to play it safe but as of this moment he is no longer the front runner... He came in 3rd -4th in every poll after the debate and he didn't enter the straw poll because he knows he would lose that too.

Grats to Ron Paul for 2nd! I honestly think he stands a chance to win the nomination.

Not really. It just shows they spent a great amount of time in Iowa and spent a great amount of money.

Like I said before, it's predicted the winner of the nomination clear cut once out of five times. 20% of the time.

This straw vote is total bullshit.

Bachmann might get a chance for the veep job.

The Political Idiot Ron Paul will be close at the bottom in the final count.

I'd like to bet my bottom buck.....and I'm a multi-millionaire ......against ALL, or any, of the devoted followers of the Political Idiot Ron Paul that this Political Idiot, at the very best, would come in as NUMERO QUATRO (more likely FIFE-O, or SIX-O) !!!

Not really. It just shows they spent a great amount of time in Iowa and spent a great amount of money.

Like I said before, it's predicted the winner of the nomination clear cut once out of five times. 20% of the time.

That's how you win Iowa, however. Now establishment type candidates like McCain, Romney, Perry, etc... etc... may not need to win Iowa, but it is an important state.

These polls mean nothing. Here's why.

Ames Straw Poll results, August 2007
1) Romney
2) Huckabee
3) Brownback
4) Tancredo
5) Paul
6) T. Thompson
7) F. Thompson
8) Giuliani
9) Hunter
10) McCain (0.7%)
11) Cox

5 Ron Paul 1,305 9.1%
7 Fred Thompson 203 1.4%
8 Rudy Giuliani 183 1.3%
9 Duncan Hunter 174 1.2%
10 John McCain 101 0.7%
11 John H. Cox 41 0.3%

Oh.

Thanks for providing this... On top of coming in 10th, he came in fourth in the actual caucus after the field got weeded out a bit.

In the defense, though, McCain has been a long time opponent of the Ethanol Boondoggle- I mean subsidy, and given that, no surprise there.

I think this will weed out some of the weaker contenders, and that's a good thing.

That's how you win Iowa, however. Now establishment type candidates like McCain, Romney, Perry, etc... etc... may not need to win Iowa, but it is an important state.

It's an important state for social conservatives to establish themselves. Which is why TPAW needed to do well here among others.

Ron Paul even put him on his social conservative hat this morning in his speech.

These polls mean nothing. Here's why.

Ames Straw Poll results, August 2007
1) Romney
2) Huckabee
3) Brownback
4) Tancredo
5) Paul
6) T. Thompson
7) F. Thompson
8) Giuliani
9) Hunter
10) McCain (0.7%)
11) Cox

I bet you're just disappointed Palin wasn't included.

Oh.

That was the very point I was trying to make before you crawled up my ass lol.

Yeah but I was being sarcastic. The media pumps the Iowa straw poll up which is what makes it meaningful. It helps candidates get attention, donations, recognition, etc.

It probably doesn't do nearly as much for the already well known candidates as it does for the up and comers who do well in it.

The three delegates that Iowa provides at the convention are a major contributor to anyones election chances

It's not so much about indicating a nomination winner as it is about indicating an Iowa caucus winner. If the 1st or 2nd place candidate has always been the winner of the Iowa caucus, then it does mean something for the caucus itself.

Romney doesn't need to win the Iowa caucus to have a shot at the nomination, but Paul and Bachmann most likely do.

Again, it means more for the up and comers than it does for the established names or 'front runners'.

A grand win for the Constitution and a grand lady who represents traditional values. She has shown great energy, consistency, levelheadedness and an aptitude for organizational skills. May she continue to SOAR!**** I am so proud of her. A winner came in today. :D ***Yea***

Last edited:
I love it when you guys put a lady down... What's the problem? Don't like women knocking on the doors of the "Good Old Boy's Club"?

I love it when you guys put a lady down... What's the problem? Don't like women knocking on the doors of the "Good Old Boy's Club"?

I have no problem with it, I just have a problem with her. You think we would like a man who spewed the same stuff she does?

Forum List

Back