Bachman defys the GOP

To deny there is a power struggle going on in the republican party is silly

Okay, there are factions in the Repub party. There are factions in the Dems, too (e.g., traditional New Dealers vs. Dem Leadership Council). The right wing populists are certainly trying to increase their influence, but to call it a power struggle (in any sense other than that any political contests are power struggles) is to overstate it. To take Bachmann as representative certainly exaggerates the split. She's a grand-stander whose made herself by taking outrageous positions. I think the real question is whether the traditional and populist wings can come to enough of an accord that they can get the maximum GOP vote out regardless of which side's candidate gets the nomination.

It is a power struggle for the control of the republican party.

Keep pushing right you will have a tiny powerless party

Don't think the left wing of the Dem party sees eye to eye with the rest of their party either.

Guess that means the party is splintered.

Who knew??

we have always had desent in our ranks.

You marched in locked step for a very long time

Ok.

So what's your point ?

First you complain the party marches in lockstep...now you're complaining because they aren't.

I sorta find it refreshing.

Although I think that what Bachmann did in terms of pork for her personal gain should earn her a one way ticket out of office.

That really should be illegal.

I'm glad she is defying them, because the GOP has not been representing it's constituents for years. Good for you Michelle, keep up the good work!

we have always be a divergent party.

The GOP has long marched in locked step.

Not so much now.

The Bachmans who live in crazy districts will keep this up.

There are many Rs who went home and got a earful from their coinstituents and are NOW going to have to help the American people or lose their elections

Ok.

So what's your point ?

First you complain the party marches in lockstep...now you're complaining because they aren't.

Although I think that what Bachmann did in terms of pork for her personal gain should earn her a one way ticket out of office.

What did she do?

And have any Democrats done similar?

Or is it just because she's a Republican that it's unacceptable?

See, this is the problem with standards, swallow. You need to apply them equally to everyone. Therein lies your problem.... if you didn't have double standards, you would have none.

It's good to see the echo chamber is up and about this morning. Lost in their snarky and sarcastic comments is this quote from Rep. Bachmann which does require some explanation:

Instead she proposed to “massively cut” government and to repeal “job killing regulations.’’

If the cost of government is largely the cost of salary and benefits, then cutting government means cutting jobs. If cutting jobs increases unemployment, one must conclude cutting government is "job killing regulations".

we have always had desent in our ranks.

You marched in locked step for a very long time

Perhaps you're not old enough to remember the moderate/conservative split in the Repub party in the 50s and 60s. The bitterness caused when moderate Eisenhower took the 52 nomination from conservative Taft lasted for decades. William Scranton, the 64 candidate of the Rockefeller wing, refused to endorse Goldwater. John Anderson if Illinois bolted the party and mounted a third-party candidacy when Reagan was nominated. The split has shifted rightwards over the decades, but it's the same fundamental cleavage. There's a geographical element to it: Northeastern moderates versus Western conservatives.

i wonder if bachmann's "massive cuts include cuts to her farm subsidies or her husband's medicare money that he gets for praying away the gay. (and has it worked for him?).

She has a farm?

Gee, I didn't know that. I thought that farm belonged to her in laws, and she declared the 'income' as a precaution. I guess honesty just doesn't pay in politics.

uh huh...

honesty? about about her not being a hypocrite who wants to cut anything that doesn't benefit her family.

that must have excaped you.

and yes, honesty is often lost in political debate. but i really like you and hope you come back from wingnut world soon! there are louboutin's on planet earth. :D

*hugs*

That's not any worse than the democrats not wanting to cut programs that keep people poor and keep them getting elected year in and year out is it?

The GOp is fractured right before an election year.

Not good news for the party

Are you just trying to take away from the fact that even Obamas democrats are staying away from him and not doing a whole lot of talking about his policies "The policies that they supported before?". If I was a betting man, I would say it's the democrat party that is not united right now. The GOP is as united as it could be on an election year.

Ok.

So what's your point ?

What did she do?

And have any Democrats done similar?

Or is it just because she's a Republican that it's unacceptable?

See, this is the problem with standards, swallow. You need to apply them equally to everyone. Therein lies your problem.... if you didn't have double standards, you would have none.

Well NaziGirl..I invite you to find a Democrat that did something similar.

I am dead set against that sort of shit.

It's fine that you are not.

It is a power struggle for the control of the republican party.

Keep pushing right you will have a tiny powerless party

The vast majority of Americans voted in the tea party to represent them in 2010 "You may have heard about it, it was an history election". I would say to keep pushing right, because that's where the vast majority of america wants to be. And that does not constitute a tiny powerless party if the majority of americans want it that way. Only 2012 will tell us where this country will be going in the future, down the shitter "Under Obama" or back to prosperity "Under the tea party".

The GOp is fractured right before an election year.

Not good news for the party

Are you just trying to take away from the fact that even Obamas democrats are staying away from him and not doing a whole lot of talking about his policies "The policies that they supported before?". If I was a betting man, I would say it's the democrat party that is not united right now. The GOP is as united as it could be on an election year.

Actually..it is a bit more united now. And that's thanks to the blue dogs being largely voted out.

Ok.

So what's your point ?

If it where illegal 99% of congress and the president would all be in jail right now. I say sign an amendment to the constitution banning pork and all other wasteful attachments from future bills. Let the candidates run in their district off of their representation, not the "What can you do for me" mentality.

Forum List

Back