Ayone ever use self-solder butt splice connectors?

I wouldnt take anything crepe says as fact,, I've heard nothing but good things about them,,
my son uses them everyday doing commercial HVAC,,,

It's not like it would be any more of a bother using a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing, though. And that way I know for a fact that it'd hold up. I'm gonna take his word for it on it. A lot of heat comes off that block and I dunno how cheap the solder is they use in those pre-solder butts. I think I recall him mentioning that he built a c4 track car or something like that, so I don't think he'd tinker around with me about something dumb like that, even if he does hate my guts.

I could see where they might hold up better when they're not being hit with a constant heat source after installation, though.
The problem I've had is separation under heavy load. External heat hasn't been the problem, it's like the solder melts at too low a temperature. It's just better to do it right the first time.

heavy load from what??

whats your application??

These things....

I'm just wondering how that solder holds up over time.

I replaced a coolant temp sensor on my vette a few days ago and, wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I got finished and put everything back together that I had to remove to replace the sensor, my elbow hit the throttle position sensor connector and snapped it in half.

So now I have to replace that busted throttle position sensor connector with a new pigtail/connector.

Was thinking about using these self-solder butt connectors instead of crimping and heat shrinking. But I dunno.

Haven't tried it but it looks like more trouble than simple soldering/crimping.

My brother swears by self-solder butt splice connectors.

I have only soldiered & heat shrink.

The crimp one's are junk!

I wouldnt take anything crepe says as fact,, I've heard nothing but good things about them,,

It's not like it would be any more of a bother using a soldering iron and heat shrink tubing, though. And that way I know for a fact that it'd hold up. I'm gonna take his word for it on it. A lot of heat comes off that block and I dunno how cheap the solder is they use in those pre-solder butts. I think I recall him mentioning that he built a c4 track car or something like that, so I don't think he'd tinker around with me about something dumb like that, even if he does hate my guts.

I could see where they might hold up better when they're not being hit with a constant heat source after installation, though.
The problem I've had is separation under heavy load. External heat hasn't been the problem, it's like the solder melts at too low a temperature. It's just better to do it right the first time.

heavy load from what??

whats your application??
I've had it happen on a winch on a truck (when I really needed it) and power for amplifiers.

I have used the "crimp on" type butt splices for more than 30 years. Never tried the self solder type. Your best (must reliable) splice is to strip, solder and heat shrink the wires together and then protect with looming or tape. ANYTHING less should only be done in case of emergency or as a temp solution.

I use the crimp style with the built in shrink tube and never had a problem.
I've never had to replace one. Once they're on...they're on. I suspect I have some that have lasted a million miles.

Dorman waterproof connectors. -- Advanced Auto Parts

20210111_085400(1).jpg

heavy load from what??

whats your application??
I've had it happen on a winch on a truck (when I really needed it) and power for amplifiers.
well theres you problem,, a winch and big amps requires a heavy duty connection not a simple crimp and solder,,, in fact I dont think they make those type of connectors for that size wire,,

anyways,, his TPS switch is working in milli-amps and milli-volts and that would never be a problem,

I do not splice electric wires in automobiles.
then youve never been a car mechanic,,,
I have had an auto repair shop for 40 plus years.
so everytime you need to fix a broken wire you cut open the wire harness and trace all the way back to the source??

I call bullshit,,,
Sadly I do not brake wires. The vehicles I work on have good wiring and when I install electric brake equipment for trailers I run all new wires.

so everytime you need to fix a broken wire you cut open the wire harness and trace all the way back to the source??

I call bullshit,,,
Sadly I do not brake wires. The vehicles I work on have good wiring and when I install electric brake equipment for trailers I run all new wires.

when did I say you broke wires???

what I asked is if you have a broken wire or need to install a pigtail do you cut open the wire harness and trace all the way back to the source??

I call bullshit,,,

what I asked is if you have a broken wire or need to install a pigtail do you cut open the wire harness and trace all the way back to the source??
taxman you there??

I call bullshit,,,

taxman you there??
I run a new wire from source to use.

I call bullshit,,,

taxman you there??
hahahahahaha,,,

youre cheating your costumers,,,

I call bullshit,,,

taxman you there??
hahahahahaha,,,

You spend more time dilly dallying around to splice a wire that is more easily replaced in total and has not weak spots.

I call bullshit,,,

taxman you there??
hahahahahaha,,,

You spend more time dilly dallying around to splice a wire that is more easily replaced in total and has not weak spots.
only thieves or idiots take more than 30 seconds to splice a wire properly,,,

my guess is youre lying,, cause only an idiot would cut open 5 ft of wire harness to put in a TPS pigtail,, not to mention most times you cant even access the harness without removal of major components,,

I call bullshit,,,

taxman you there??
hahahahahaha,,,

only thieves or idiots take more than 30 seconds to splice a wire properly,,,

my guess is youre lying,, cause only an idiot would cut open 5 ft of wire harness to put in a TPS pigtail,, not to mention most times you cant even access the harness without removal of major components,,
hahahahahahahahaha

I've got to rebuild a wiring harness coming from the firewall to the forward and turn lamps and cooling fans. The previous owner of my vette did a bubba number on it when he bypassed the fans.

I've put it off for almost two years.

The wiring diagrams in the factory service manual confuse me, though. Well, to be clear, I think I just need to learn how the numbers coincide with wire gauges and that kind of thing. I'm able to follow the wire routing on the diagrams from the ecm and then the relays that are involved.

Screen Shot 31.jpg

Last edited:

I've got to rebuild a wiring harness coming from the firewall to the forward and turn lamps and cooling fans. The previous owner of my vette did a bubba number on it when he bypassed the fans.

I've put it off for almost two years.

The wiring diagrams in the factory service manual confuse me, though. Well, to be clear, I think I just need to learn how the numbers coincide with wire gauges and that kind of thing. I'm able to follow the wire routing on the diagrams from the ecm and then the relays that are involved.

View attachment 442322
Wire size is not a bigge. The smaller the number the bigger the wire. I think you would be best off to use wire end connectors for the rewire. Most use a slip on connector and a few use a "screw through center" connector.

I call bullshit,,,

taxman you there??
hahahahahaha,,,

So you're saying you'll open up an entire wiring harness for one wire?
You're full of shit.

Forum List

Back