Ayone ever use self-solder butt splice connectors?

I do not splice electric wires in automobiles.
then youve never been a car mechanic,,,
I have had an auto repair shop for 40 plus years.
so everytime you need to fix a broken wire you cut open the wire harness and trace all the way back to the source??

I call bullshit,,,
Sadly I do not brake wires. The vehicles I work on have good wiring and when I install electric brake equipment for trailers I run all new wires.

when did I say you broke wires???

what I asked is if you have a broken wire or need to install a pigtail do you cut open the wire harness and trace all the way back to the source??
taxman you there??
I run a new wire from source to use.
hahahahahaha,,,

youre cheating your costumers,,,
You spend more time dilly dallying around to splice a wire that is more easily replaced in total and has not weak spots.

So you're saying you'll open up an entire wiring harness for one wire?
You're full of shit.

THANK YOU!!!

only an idiot or thief does that,,,

I wouldnt use em on a boat trailer that gets submerged on a regular basis but for general use it seems like they'd be okay.
For anything exposed to weather I'm a solder and heat shrink wrap guy.
With some electrical tape for good measure.

Winner...

My car started on fire one time because of it, and I hated lazy assholes in industrial maintenance who spliced wires together..sometimes I would open up a cover and their would be like 10 spliced wires in a row

Winner...

My car started on fire one time because of it, and I hated lazy assholes in industrial maintenance who spliced wires together..sometimes I would open up a cover and their would be like 10 spliced wires in a row

Than they did it wrong.
Obviously stacking splice after splice isn't a good idea because it gives multiple chances to fail.
And to not splice a line in a car means you have to either cut into the wiring harness to remove the offending wire or just run it outside the the harness which is another problem.
You end up with a hodge podge of wires running all over your engine bay.
I say your better off finding the short which is easy enough and fixing it there even if it means one splice.

These things....

I'm just wondering how that solder holds up over time.

I replaced a coolant temp sensor on my vette a few days ago and, wouldn't you know it, just as soon as I got finished and put everything back together that I had to remove to replace the sensor, my elbow hit the throttle position sensor connector and snapped it in half.

So now I have to replace that busted throttle position sensor connector with a new pigtail/connector.

Was thinking about using these self-solder butt connectors instead of crimping and heat shrinking. But I dunno.

I always just soldered them myself and them used heat shrink.

I always just soldered them myself and them used heat shrink.

Yeah, that's what i've always done.

I'm gonna give some of those self-solder ones a shot, though, whenever I get around to fixing my front running light/blinker problem. Just to try em out. I'm gonna swap out the bulb socket, so just a couple of small wires, not much of a load on em.

With that throttle position sensor connector in the op, I just went with regular solder and heat shrink on the pigtail. Worked..

Forum List

Back