What's new
US Message Board 🦅 Political Discussion Forum

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

CDZ avoiding climate catastrophe : paying attention to our methane output should be of bigger concern to us, i and quite a few others think

Mac-7

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Because they can't run the same type of scam on nuclear that they can off of the so-called bullshit renewables.
In some cases maybe

But as much as libs fear global warming, nuclear power scares the shit out of them too

They tend to carry around a lot of personal hangups

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Methane can leak from oil and natural gas wells, natural gas pipelines and the processing equipment itself. According to data from the US Energy Information Administration, the US has thousands of active wells for natural gas, millions of abandoned oil and gas wells, about two million miles of natural gas pipelines, and several refineries that process the gas.

Let me open your "horizon" on this a bit.. Gas and oil seepage goes on DAILY in huge amounts anywhere that there are HCarbon deposits residing naturally. The Gulf of Mexico is totally laced with areas of methane seepage. Some of reported volume flows would probably cancel out the rarer pipeline issues if you realize that these have been going on for CENTURIES, virtually 24/7...

Here's one link.. You'll find numbers to compare on other sites..

This is similar to the FACT that there is a CO2 cycle as well that is TOTALLY dominated by NATURE -- not man.. Man's discharge of CO2 is only 5% of what NATURE puts up into the atmosphere every year.. Nature also SINKS all of its emissions PLUS almost a half of what man puts up into the land and the seas..

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you were to go back in time to a day before white men set foot upon this continent, the methane produced by one bison herd would be more than all the factories in today's America.

I don't know if bison would overwhelm all of our current CO2 emissions, but SURELY the fauna that was here pre-westernization would SWAMP our current cattle emissions. That part of the GW accounting is simply fraudulent. Need better and more honest bookkeepers... LOL...

flacaltenn

Diamond Member
Staff member
Senior USMB Moderator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No matter how much "heat" a molecule of methane retains, it can not pass on an equal* amount to the other 535,905 parts of the atmosphere it is in ratio to.

Once again we see misrepresentation and distortion of numbers/data to provide out of perspective propaganda.

It's not a matter of warming the larger gas constituents in the atmos.. It's the re-radiation of infra-red energy which is what the GreenHouse does.. And its that part of the IRed energy that HITS the surface that keeps us from being popsicles.

The messaging that departs from ACTUAL science on Global Warming isn't that CO2 or CH4 are not Greenhouse gases.. It's the adjunct theories on CATASTROPHIC GW that are not "settled".. Those theories that gives CO2 and CH4 SUPERPOWERS that they simply do not possess..

That's what brings us headlines about "tipping points" at which the earth is doomed in XX years.. Or runaway GW where every feedback in the models is POSITIVE feedback and for which there is ZERO contemporaneous empirical evidence.

YES -- the GreenHouse is warming.. NO -- it's NOT an unstable system.. The power of these gases to warm the greenhouse goes down logarithmically with their increase in concentration..

YoursTruly

Platinum Member
Reaction score
The democrats solution to climate change:

Throw money at it.

Money GIFs - Get the best GIF on GIPHY

justoffal

Platinum Member
Reaction score
you'll need to prove that argument with independent source data.

from what i know, CO2 pollution has already caused major extra methane releases from Siberia, and all those cows and pigs we raise for our meat and dairy ain't doing the planet (and thus us humans as well) any good either.

On top of that, the events in Siberia are very likely to spread to that rather large piece of land called Greenland, where there is *also* a lot of still partially frozen permafrost soil holding a *lot* of methane.

i'll be happy to continue this once you come up with scientific data that outlines how much methane gets released without human interaction, like from the sea bed (and btw, who is to prove that that is not increased by rising temperatures?), and how much methane is going up into the air due to human activities...
Of course it's the rising temperature that's causing the methane release the question is and always has been what is causing the rising temperature?
Is there a feedback loop? Probably.
But the existence of a feedback loop does not establish the source of the total heat accrual often not measured simply in temperature but in total latent heat content.

justoffal

Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's not a matter of warming the larger gas constituents in the atmos.. It's the re-radiation of infra-red energy which is what the GreenHouse does.. And its that part of the IRed energy that HITS the surface that keeps us from being popsicles.

The messaging that departs from ACTUAL science on Global Warming isn't that CO2 or CH4 are not Greenhouse gases.. It's the adjunct theories on CATASTROPHIC GW that are not "settled".. Those theories that gives CO2 and CH4 SUPERPOWERS that they simply do not possess..

That's what brings us headlines about "tipping points" at which the earth is doomed in XX years.. Or runaway GW where every feedback in the models is POSITIVE feedback and for which there is ZERO contemporaneous empirical evidence.

YES -- the GreenHouse is warming.. NO -- it's NOT an unstable system.. The power of these gases to warm the greenhouse goes down logarithmically with their increase in concentration..
Additionally heat transfer rate is a function of Total temperature difference....often referred to as delta T. The more heat retained by the atmosphere the greater and more rapid the heat transfer to nearby open space.

Nature has given us a certain form of shock absorber in that respect.

It should be noted however that as the sun moves towards and through its third stage that the balance of hydrogen fusion versus helium fusion continues to shift in the higher energy direction. There is no amount of legislation, good feeling or well-meaning intention that can do a damn thing about that.

badbob85037

Diamond Member
Reaction score
If the world stopped producing carbon dioxide tomorrow all of life would come to an end in hours...so, I cannot believe any of the drivel.
I go by what I see. Working in the construction industry and living in the Arizona desert I can tell you when it's hot. I can tell you where I was and what i was doing every day of 125 degrees or over and it hasn't happened in over 7 years. If we listened to Algore we would have all drown or grown gills by now Just follow the money and stop being so stupid.

justoffal

Platinum Member
Reaction score
If the world stopped producing carbon dioxide tomorrow all of life would come to an end in hours...so, I cannot believe any of the drivel.
Yep... Our life on this planet is referred to as the carbon cycle. That should tell you something.

Jo

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Reaction score
A new lie from the rabid left that has no basis in chemistry to prove it...

USMB Server Goals

Total amount
$145.00
Goal
$350.00

Most reactions - Past 7 days

Forum List