Autopilot car pipedream

TroglocratsRdumb

Diamond Member
Aug 11, 2017
The problem with autopilot cars is that there are just too many variables in driving for a computer to handle.
The cars have to have many sensors to operate, and those sensors become out of tolerance over time.
They are already getting killing people.
The insurance costs will make them impracticable.

The problem with autopilot cars is that there are just too many variables in driving for a computer to handle.
The cars have to have many sensors to operate, and those sensors become out of tolerance over time.

AI will never be perfect but neither will human judgement. Airplanes can pretty much fly themselves these days BECAUSE it is safer to use the automated systems. Cars will follow soon.

My car has several automated features that I use daily because they make me a safer driver. Thes systems will continue to improve until manual driving is considered too dangerous to allow, at least in cities.

You have stated technical problems that have technical solutions. It's only a matter of working on them. The rewards for eventual success are enormous.

You have stated technical problems that have technical solutions. It's only a matter of working on them. The rewards for eventual success are enormous.

Being able to sleep while driving your car to Vegas instead of flying there is a solution without a problem.

AI will never be perfect but neither will human judgement. Airplanes can pretty much fly themselves these days BECAUSE it is safer to use the automated systems. Cars will follow soon.

My car has several automated features that I use daily because they make me a safer driver. Thes systems will continue to improve until manual driving is considered too dangerous to allow, at least in cities.
Weeelllll, we shall see.
The autopilot cars are just a tiny percentage of cars right now, but as they increase and accident statistics accumulate it will become apparent that they are dangerous.
Cars on roads cannot be compared to planes in the air.
But, there will many horrendous accidents caused by autopilot cars, the owners will not be able to afford the insurance for them.

Weeelllll, we shall see.
The autopilot cars are just a tiny percentage of cars right now, but as they increase and accident statistics accumulate it will become apparent that they are dangerous.
Cars on roads cannot be compared to planes in the air.
But, there will many horrendous accidents caused by autopilot cars, the owners will not be able to afford the insurance for them.
I've seen the results of AI already. I have adaptive cruise control that can be set to maintain the same speed as the car ahead of me. If he slows down or hits the breaks my reacts faster than I can and will apply the breaks if needed. I'll bet the number of accidents will go down, not up.

Another reason, for automated cars, if the speed limit is 55 mph, that is the speed they will go, not faster, not slower. No jerks weaving in and out of lane cutting off other drivers.

Forum List

Back