Austrian bishop questions need for celibacy

del

Diamond Member
Sep 3, 2008
on a one way cul-de-sac
VIENNA — An Austrian bishop who has disagreed with the Vatican in the past about needed reforms said in an interview published Wednesday that the Catholic church should drop its celibacy requirement for priests.

Eisenstadt Bishop Paul Iby told the Die Presse daily that it should be up to priests to decide whether they want to live a celibate life and that he would welcome it if married men could be ordained.

Austrian bishop questions celibacy - BostonHerald.com

Sooner or later this will have to happen. The primary reasons for celibate priests (which were a middle age invention not an original christian concept) was to provide a non military outlet for the excess sons of noble families. Preventing procreation of certain branches kept the noble population in check. The same could be said for nun orders and excess women of various social levels.

Unfortunately tradition dies hard is organizations such as the catholic church.

I have nothing against celibacy if it is a voluntary comittment from the priest. Forced celibacy never made any sense. No other religion on earth looks at having sex as a personal vulnerability. A priest who has a family can relate to the issues and challenges facing his parishiners and is better able to serve them.

All celibacy does is keep men from becoming priests (should have women priests too) it also breaks the legacy connection of the priest hood. There is no "My father was a priest, my grandfather was a priest..." in the Catholic Church

Forum List

Back