Australia's new wave of 'wog humour' is about class as much as race

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
"Why can't more non-Anglo characters be doctors or lawyers?"

In debates about racial representations on screen, this is a perennial refrain. According to some critics, the blue collar jobs of fictional Mediterranean migrants are gratingly stereotypical (and insufficiently inspiring).

I don't necessarily find most of it funny. But, it's probably different experiences. I don't find a lot of American comediennes funny either.

"Why can't more non-Anglo characters be doctors or lawyers?"

In debates about racial representations on screen, this is a perennial refrain. According to some critics, the blue collar jobs of fictional Mediterranean migrants are gratingly stereotypical (and insufficiently inspiring).

I don't necessarily find most of it funny. But, it's probably different experiences. I don't find a lot of American comediennes funny either.

when you learn a bit of Arabic-----or Urdu---or whatevah-------you will have the opportunity to judge KAFIR HUMOR

Ultimately it's always about classism, whether that's based on race, national origin, religion, or of course gender.

Elitism (bigotry) basically means ensuring the system confines the target class to a lower status, and then pointing the finger at them for the fact that they're in the status the system just put them in. We get that from the knuckledraggers on this board every day.

Ultimately it's always about classism, whether that's based on race, national origin, religion, or of course gender.

Elitism (bigotry) basically means ensuring the system confines the target class to a lower status, and then pointing the finger at them for the fact that they're in the status the system just put them in. We get that from the knuckledraggers on this board every day.

Ya, and the major problem is that this has been designed and is playing out via division of race and gender. This is history repeating itself.

Forum List

Back