Australia's Energy Success

Grumblenuts

Gold Member
Oct 16, 2017
South Australia has done gone green. Bigly, apparently due in part to a bet made with Musk:
No idea what the bet was yet..?

In a country of 25 million I guess it's possible.....At the same time behind China the Aussies are the #2 consumers of Dietz oil lanterns. The #80 is very popular. I guess it's one way to keep the night at bay and your beans warm. ;)

5330cbba6d4d3dad6624c03908d3f479.jpg

In a country of 25 million I guess it's possible.....At the same time behind China the Aussies are the #2 consumers of Dietz oil lanterns. The #80 is very popular. I guess it's one way to keep the night at bay and your beans warm. ;)

5330cbba6d4d3dad6624c03908d3f479.jpg

Your warm beans are killing the planet!!!

Found the bet:
Two years after Tesla Inc. installed it, the world’s biggest lithium-ion battery is helping to avert blackouts and lower costs as Australian grids struggle to handle surging renewable power generation.

The Neoen SA-owned Hornsdale Power Reserve has responded to three major system outages, helping to restore stability to the network and lower the costs of running the grid, engineering consultant Aurecon Group said Friday. The battery started in 2017 after Elon Musk famously won a bet that he could get a 100-megawatt system up and running in 100 days to help solve a power crisis in South Australia.

Dude, I made a parabolic hot dog cooker when I was 10. That's not much better.
I figured there would have been better advancements in that technology by this time.

Apparently NOT. :(
Wow, so somehow you had this "Evacuated tempered glass tube" technology at 10?

Well if so, okay, don't buy any. No biggie. They're just made in America by real Americans and help support American "Patriots" (veterans) anyway.

Fyi, Google says: "Is the Dietz lantern company still in business?"
Image result for Dietz oil lantern

The lantern division of the R. E. Dietz Company moved to Hong Kong in 1956, and all Dietz lantern production ceased in the U.S.A. in 1970. In 1982 the Dietz lantern factory was moved from Hong Kong into China. The R.E. Dietz Company was closed in the United States in 1992.

Last edited:
Wow, so somehow you had this "Evacuated tempered glass tube" technology at 10?

Well if so, okay, don't buy any. No biggie. They're just made in America by real Americans and help support American "Patriots" (veterans) anyway.

Fyi, Google says: "Is the Dietz lantern company still in business?"
They moved their operation to China because that part of the world was where there was the greatest demand for their product.

They are still churning them out....As far as functional quality goes they are as good as the US made ones but are painted instead of tinned. The globes are thinner but the glass is stronger so that's a wash....In fact the thinner globe also makes the a wee bit brighter.

I guess the last big surge of Dietz lanterns in the US was for Y2K......K-Mart ordered better than a million #20 Junior lanterns with their logo embossed on them.....They sold them in 6-packs.

N8EPHnHS2fT8dI1RAjySGQ-smallw.jpg

TN3sJmMjnjXJO28h4xAn3g-smallh.jpg

W. T. Kirkman sells quality "modern" oil lanterns.....Their "house-brand" #2 is top-notch and made every bit as well as the vintage Dietz lanterns of the same type.....Maybe even a bit better.

They also sell the German Feuerhand lanterns.....A excellent and bright small lantern.
Feuerhand Deluxe Lanterns Archives - The Source for Oil Lamps and Hurricane Lanterns

Home - The Source for Oil Lamps and Hurricane Lanterns

Dude, I made a parabolic hot dog cooker when I was 10. That's not much better.
I figured there would have been better advancements in that technology by this time.

Apparently NOT. :(
I wrapped Oscar Mayer in foil and cooked it up on the muffler of my uncles Ariens yard tractor about 60 years ago.

We all could do it, if people were aware. Australia however got massive help from Musk building them enormous batteries and what not. Last I heard they were complaining about it all.

We all could do it, if people were aware. Australia however got massive help from Musk building them enormous batteries and what not. Last I heard they were complaining about it all.
Back in 2018 the first "giant battery cost ~$66 million and it reportedly already made up to $17 million during the first ~6 months of operation."

They moved their operation to China because that part of the world was where there was the greatest demand for their product.

They are still churning them out....
Sure boomer. Anything you say. Meanwhile this topic is (still) not about hurricane lamps nor cooking beans for that matter (at all).

Back in 2018 the first "giant battery cost ~$66 million and it reportedly already made up to $17 million during the first ~6 months of operation."
How much did it cost to put it out once it caught on fire and burnt for 3 days?

Fire crews have extinguished a blaze at Victoria’s new Tesla Big Battery, the largest lithium-ion battery in the country, after taking more than three days to bring it under control.

One of the Tesla megapack batteries at the site in Moorabool, near Geelong, caught fire during testing shortly after 10am on Friday.

South Australia has done gone green. Bigly, apparently due in part to a bet made with Musk:
No idea what the bet was yet..?
How much longer before this is a total disaster or musks batteries ignite?

How much did it cost to put it out once it caught on fire and burnt for 3 days?

Fire crews have extinguished a blaze at Victoria’s new Tesla Big Battery, the largest lithium-ion battery in the country, after taking more than three days to bring it under control.

One of the Tesla megapack batteries at the site in Moorabool, near Geelong, caught fire during testing shortly after 10am on Friday.
Wow, so well over a year ago,
One of the Tesla megapack batteries at the site in Moorabool, near Geelong, caught fire during testing shortly after 10am on Friday, according to French renewable energy giant Neoen.

Smoke billows from a fire at Victoria’s new Tesla Big Battery on Friday.
And since then..?

New Topics

Forum List

Back