Australian hydrogen car breakthrough could go global

Wyatt earp

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2012
Yup I knew they would do it, move over antique battery powered cars , hydrogen is the way to go, three minutes to fill your electric car instead of waiting hours for a charge..

www.tawakilagi.com/2018/08/09/australian-hydrogen-car-breakthrough-could-go-global/

CSIRO principal research scientist Michael Dolan said it was a very exciting day for a project that has been a decade in the making.

“We started out with what we thought was a good idea, it is exciting to see it on the cusp of commercial deployment,” he said.

For the past decade, researchers have worked on producing ultra-high purity hydrogen using a unique membrane technology.

The membrane breakthrough will allow hydrogen to be safely transported and used as a mass production energy source.

“We are certainly the first to demonstrate the production of very clean hydrogen from ammonia,” Dr Dolan said.

“Today is the very first time in the world that hydrogen cars have been fuelled with a fuel derived from ammonia — carbon-free fuel.”

Program leader David Harris said Australia has a huge source of renewable energy — sunlight and wind — that can be utilised to produce hydrogen.

But the highly flammable element is difficult to ship long distances because of its low density.

CSIRO researchers found a way to turn Australian-made hydrogen into ammonia, meaning it could be shipped safely to the mass market of Asia.

It is converted back into hydrogen using their membrane, then pumped into hydrogen-powered cars.

Pretty pricey.

I'm on board for this though. I've always been a backer of the hydrogen fuel cell cars.

Pretty pricey.

I'm on board for this though. I've always been a backer of the hydrogen fuel cell cars.

So do I ever since I watched that PBS show with Alan aldai 10 years ago, the hydrogen power plants were huge in the 70s (it took up an entire full size van) they come along way and will get better and better .

Yup I knew they would do it, move over antique battery powered cars , hydrogen is the way to go, three minutes to fill your electric car instead of waiting hours for a charge..

www.tawakilagi.com/2018/08/09/australian-hydrogen-car-breakthrough-could-go-global/

CSIRO principal research scientist Michael Dolan said it was a very exciting day for a project that has been a decade in the making.

“We started out with what we thought was a good idea, it is exciting to see it on the cusp of commercial deployment,” he said.

For the past decade, researchers have worked on producing ultra-high purity hydrogen using a unique membrane technology.

The membrane breakthrough will allow hydrogen to be safely transported and used as a mass production energy source.

“We are certainly the first to demonstrate the production of very clean hydrogen from ammonia,” Dr Dolan said.

“Today is the very first time in the world that hydrogen cars have been fuelled with a fuel derived from ammonia — carbon-free fuel.”

Program leader David Harris said Australia has a huge source of renewable energy — sunlight and wind — that can be utilised to produce hydrogen.

But the highly flammable element is difficult to ship long distances because of its low density.

CSIRO researchers found a way to turn Australian-made hydrogen into ammonia, meaning it could be shipped safely to the mass market of Asia.

It is converted back into hydrogen using their membrane, then pumped into hydrogen-powered cars.

That's the way I thought we should go. Hydrogen is the perfect fuel.

Forum List

Back