Australia should refuse imigrants with HIV

Superlative

Mar 13, 2007
Howard calls for HIV migrant ban

Australia should refuse to allow migrants or refugees with HIV to enter the country, Prime Minister John Howard has said.

Mr Howard said there may be special cases when an exemption could be considered but as a rule HIV-positive people should be denied entry.

Mr Howard was asked about the issue during a visit to Victoria state, which has seen a sharp rise in HIV cases.

Any ban for migrants with HIV/Aids would need a change in the federal law.

Mr Howard, on a visit to Melbourne, told a local radio station he wanted to seek more advice on the issue, but said his gut feeling was that HIV sufferers should not be allowed in to the country.

"My initial reaction is no," he said. "There may be some humanitarian considerations that could temper that in certain cases, but, prime facie - no."

Victoria's public health officials have blamed the rise in HIV cases partly on overseas immigrants, but also on Australian residents relocating from other parts of the country.

Tuberculosis ban

Mr Howard, who has been in power for 11 years, is known for his tough stance on immigration.

He likened his proposed ban to the ban already imposed on people suffering from tuberculosis.

"I think we should have the most stringent possible conditions in relation to that nationwide, and I know the health minister is concerned about that and is examining ways of tightening things up," he said.

Solicitor David Puls of the New South Wales HIV/Aids Legal Centre said the law allowed immigrants to be denied access where there are public safety concerns.

"The Medical Officer of the Commonwealth does not consider HIV to be a public safety concern," he was quoted by the Australian newspaper as saying.

He added that HIV should not be compared with tuberculosis as the latter is airborne and contagious, while HIV is transmissible but not contagious.

Australia has been alarmed by the country's rise in HIV cases. Infection rates rose by 41% between 2000 and 2005.

There is particular concern about the rapid spread of HIV and Aids in neighbouring Pacific countries, such as Papua New Guinea.

http://www.smh.com.au/news/national/ban-hivpositive-migrants-pm/2007/04/13/1175971314887.html
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6551245.stm

You know, as deplorable this idea may seem on the surface, if you consider the burden treating HIV/AIDS among what will most likely be mostly poor immigrants will put on the health care system, as well as the risks of spreading the disease, it's hard to argue with Howard's point of view.

Well off the bat (without thinking through all scenarios) living in Canada where we have public health care (paid by taxpayers) I would be in agreement for many reasons - most of them being cost burdens to taxpayers.
  • The cost of medical care
  • drug costs
  • social assistance/welfare*
  • cost of funeral/death**

*Likelihood of them being able to hold down a stable job is not that great...which will probably mean they will use social assistance.

**The fact that they might get full blown AIDs much higher or there chances of dying a much quicker rater is higher - most likely the cost of the death will be a burden to taxpayers.

All this without ever contributing to society if they come to the country already sick.

Then there's also the minimal risk of them spreading the virus (sex, needles or even by health care practitioners due unsanitary practices/conditions).

I much rather have a healthy person who can make positive contributions to society...not saying that an HIV infected person couldn't, but the chances of that aren't very likely.

Anger over Howard's HIV ban call

John Howard, the Australian prime minister, has said people who are HIV-positive should not be allowed to migrate to Australia, a remark condemned by health groups as racist.

Howard told Southern Cross Broadcasting on Friday: "My initial reaction is no [they should not be allowed in]," adding that he would like more advice on the matter.

Australia bans people with tuberculosis from entering the country as migrants, while people over the age of 15 who apply for permanent residence are tested for HIV.

Applicants for residence who have a medical condition for which the lifetime treatment cost exceeds $17,000 are denied entry.

"There may be some humanitarian considerations that could temper that in certain cases but prima facie, no." Howard said.

He added he would look at changing the law to stop HIV-positive people coming to Australia.

"I think we should have the most stringent possible conditions in relation to that nationwide and I know the health minister is concerned about that and is examining ways of tightening things up and I think people are entitled to be concerned."

Condemned

Aids experts attacked the comments as an overreaction.

"It is already extremely difficult for people with HIV infection to be accepted as migrants or refugees," The Australian newspaper on Saturday quoted Don Baxter of the Australian Federation of Aids Organisations as saying.

"Those people accepted, chiefly spouses and partners of Australian citizens, can and do contribute enormously to Australia's benefit."

Others said the comments were discriminatory.

"It's a hysterical overreaction, it mixes racism with a phobia about infectious disease," an infectious disease physician, Chris Lemoh, told the Australian Associated Press.

"I think to not allow people to come on the basis of any health condition is immoral, it's unethical and it's impractical to enforce," Lemoh said.

"Most of the people who acquire HIV acquire it here and most of them are born here."

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F197CDB2-C811-4F1E-B75B-0FEF9DD1EB62.htm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/6553623.stm

Anger over Howard's HIV ban call

John Howard, the Australian prime minister, has said people who are HIV-positive should not be allowed to migrate to Australia, a remark condemned by health groups as racist.

And there we have it, folks. Don't want disease-ridden blacks pouring into your country to jack it up worse than it already is? Why, you must be a racist. Jesus, being a racist is starting to sound like the thing to be.

Typical ignorant, redneck hillbilly comments here

Sorry, we are full up, no free meal tickets left, fuck off.
So you're saying that all immigrants mootch...have you taken a look at who is on social assistance...cuz it ain't all immigrants. If it weren't for immigrants the US, UK and Canada wouldn't be where it is today - especially in Canada and US where practically everyone is an immigrant or a descendant of one.

And there we have it, folks. Don't want disease-ridden blacks pouring into your country to jack it up worse than it already is? Why, you must be a racist. Jesus, being a racist is starting to sound like the thing to be.
So now blacks are the only ones who HIV :rolleyes:

Don't worry about sounding like a racist, it's pretty clear you are one.

Typical ignorant, redneck hillbilly comments here

So you're saying that all immigrants mootch...have you taken a look at who is on social assistance...cuz it ain't all immigrants. If it weren't for immigrants the US, UK and Canada wouldn't be where it is today - especially in Canada and US where practically everyone is an immigrant or a descendant of one.

So now blacks are the only ones who HIV :rolleyes:

Don't worry about sounding like a racist, it's pretty clear you are one.

And yours was a typical 'holier than thou' response.Take my word for it, Britain is full, millions of East Europeans have flooded in recently and millions more will, not to mention the Muslim peoples who hate us so much but can't wait to get here (I wonder why?).:cool:

And yours was a typical 'holier than thou' response.Take my word for it, Britain is full, millions of East Europeans have flooded in recently and millions more will, not to mention the Muslim peoples who hate us so much but can't wait to get here (I wonder why?).:cool:

That's fine but you implied that immigrants just come to the UK for a free ride...most come to make a better life for themselves. It's got nothing to do with being holier than thou...you just made a really ignorant comment.

Forum List

Back