Australia is killing millions of feral cats with poisoned sausages

The Purge

Platinum Member
Aug 16, 2018
The New York Post/The Sun/AP ^ | April 26, 2019

Australian officials are killing millions of feral cats by airdropping frozen sausages laced with poison across the Outback. The felines die within 15 minutes of ingesting the toxic treats, which are produced at a factory close to Perth. But in a bid to kill as many as possible, officials also trap and shoot the creatures. The sausages are made with kangaroo meat, chicken fat, herbs, spices and the poison, 1080, the New York Times reported

------------

We have all heard the song "Who let the dogs out" well who let all the cats out?.... Cats are an invasive species in Australia but can you imagine the RAT infestation without them........

1. Poison is extremely cruel. Depending on the type, it causes seizures, hemorrhaging, or burns.

2. Poisons are not selective. This bait will kill non-target species, as well.

3. Cat haters love to go on about the supposed environmental damage that cats cause. However, the damage caused by allowing rodents and other small animals to breed without any checks on their population is worse. Despite what cat-haters who hide behind environmental concerns claim, cats *are* an integral part of ecosystems that humans inhabit.

I wonder, now that this cruel program has been publicized, how much longer it will last?.....and since the government has taken all the guns... Well you get my drift......The Japanese have a cat island, I'm sure there are many uninhabited Islands just scattered all around Australia....it could become a huge tourist attraction as those industrious Japanese have done!

Australian officials are killing millions of feral cats by airdropping frozen sausages laced with poison across the Outback. The felines die within 15 minutes of ingesting the toxic treats, which are produced at a factory close to Perth. But in a bid to kill as many as possible, officials also trap and shoot the creatures. The sausages are made with kangaroo meat, chicken fat, herbs, spices and the poison, 1080, the New York Times reported

------------

We have all heard the song "Who let the dogs out" well who let all the cats out?.... Cats are an invasive species in Australia but can you imagine the RAT infestation without them........

1. Poison is extremely cruel. Depending on the type, it causes seizures, hemorrhaging, or burns.

3. Cat haters love to go on about the supposed environmental damage that cats cause. However, the damage caused by allowing rodents and other small animals to breed without any checks on their population is worse. Despite what cat-haters who hide behind environmental concerns claim, cats *are* an integral part of ecosystems that humans inhabit.

I wonder, now that this cruel program has been publicized, how much longer it will last?.....and since the government has taken all the guns... Well you get my drift......The Japanese have a cat island, I'm sure there are many uninhabited Islands just scattered all around Australia....it could become a huge tourist attraction as those industrious Japanese have done!

Shot dozens out of a tree once; the tree was once home to hundreds of native birds. 1080 is good stuff. Usually kills them pretty fast. Good job!!

CSIRO PUBLISHING | Wildlife Research

Main symptoms are disorientation and lethargy.

Yes; some birds may eat them but the risk isn't high.
Based on this finding and others, in 2008, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority Final Review Report and Regulatory Decision of Sodium Fluoroacetate concluded that although individual poisoning of non-target animals can occur, this does not adversely affect the overall population of the non-target wildlife – while still highly regulated, they allowed 1080 to continue to be used as a management tool for invasive species (and predator) control.

The science behind the claim - 1080 is no threat to native wildlife populations - PestSmart Connect

Greg

------------

I bet the Asians are bummed out.

------------

That is horrible! Those poor cats. It's not their fault they were born. They'd do better to trap and release. That would stop the breeding.

------------

That is horrible! Those poor cats. It's not their fault they were born. They'd do better to trap and release. That would stop the breeding.
Release where?

------------

Release where?
Why, one of a dozen or so cat islands

------------

Release where?

Greg

------------

The cats go drowsy and then die. No suffering unless I hit them with a shovel though it does make it quicker.

Greg:beer:

------------

The cats go drowsy and then die. No suffering unless I hit them with a shovel though it does make it quicker.

Greg:beer:
Come on Greg....a little pussy never hurt anyone!

Maybe they were eating all the platypus ducks' eggs or something. Or carrying diseases that were stressing extinction-brink animals. A common complaint of farmers in America is that people will drive 60 miles from the nearest metropolis to drop off unwanted litters of their household cats and even dogs. Often these small ones are not inoculated from disease and can suffer heinous deaths without regular shots to prevent animal diseases. They can also spread these diseases among the wild animals and decimate a breed of animals already on the extinct watch list. Someone dumped the animals out back where no one could see. Some likely adapted and produced another generation or more.

Meh......
I killed dozens of the little bastards when we bought our weekend place.
The lovely lady who lived there when we bought the place left em there to fend for themselves.
Let two of em live to control snakes and rats in the out buildings.

------------

I like cats. Cats are very good in the hands of good people. People who don't like them don't like them mainly because they aren't as dependent on people as dogs. But a large population of feral cats doesn't exist without a food source. If the cats are there, it is because something is feeding them. It would have been better to go after that and let the cats adjust numbers accordingly.

------------

I like cats. Cats are very good in the hands of good people. People who don't like them don't like them mainly because they aren't as dependent on people as dogs. But a large population of feral cats doesn't exist without a food source. If the cats are there, it is because something is feeding them. It would have been better to go after that and let the cats adjust numbers accordingly.

I'll admit I'm not a cat person,but that didnt come into play when I wanted em gone.
They shit and pissed everywhere and killed all the local wildlife.
Had I been close to an SPCA of some sort I would have trapped them and dropped em off.
As it was it was a hundred mile round trip to the nearest shelter/SPCA.
Just not going to take a few dozen 100 mile trips just to be nice.

------------

I'll admit I'm not a cat person,but that didnt come into play when I wanted em gone.

They were surviving.

Had they been most dogs, they would have been wandering the streets, tail between legs, dejected, looking for someone to adopt them. Cats are tough little creatures. But given half the chance, they make amazing gentle, loving pets.

------------

They were surviving.

Had they been most dogs, they would have been wandering the streets, tail between legs, dejected, looking for someone to adopt them. Cats are tough little creatures. But given half the chance, they make amazing gentle, loving pets.

Stray dogs dont do well in the wild,they aren't the natural hunters that cats are.
I got ringworm from all the strays on my property,and that was after I eliminated 3/4s of them. The cat lady dumped her inside cats litter box off the side of the porch and I got infected removing the mess.
Once I thinned out the feral cats rabbits,road runners,turkey,tarantulas,horntoads,fox kits and all manner of wildlife returned.

I'd kill em again if it was necessary.

------------

They were surviving.

Stray dogs dont do well in the wild,they aren't the natural hunters that cats are.
That's for sure.
I got ringworm from all the strays on my property,and that was after I eliminated 3/4s of them. The cat lady dumped her inside cats litter box off the side of the porch and I got infected removing the mess.
Sounds like a big part of the problem was really that lady, artificially inflating the neighborhood population and improperly disposing of waste. I hate people who get this unhealthy relationship with animals and take it to some crazy level. There is something wrong with those people. I've never had more than two pets at a time. That ringworm issue never would have happened had she been giving proper care to her animals.
Once I thinned out the feral cats rabbits,road runners,turkey,tarantulas,horntoads,fox kits and all manner of wildlife returned.
I bet. Like I said, its not that cats are bad, they are just trying to survive in a situation mostly created by bad people.

------------

They were surviving.

That's for sure.
Sounds like a big part of the problem was really that lady, artificially inflating the neighborhood population and improperly disposing of waste. I hate people who get this unhealthy relationship with animals and take it to some crazy level. There is something wrong with those people. I've never had more than two pets at a time. That ringworm issue never would have happened had she been giving proper care to her animals.
I bet. Like I said, its not that cats are bad, they are just trying to survive in a situation mostly created by bad people.

This wasn't in anything like a neighborhood.
We're talking about the major boonies a hundred miles from the mexican border in west Texas.
The whole county consisted of 8k people.

You did what you had to do.

------------

Shot dozens out of a tree once; the tree was once home to hundreds of native birds. 1080 is good stuff. Usually kills them pretty fast. Good job!!

CSIRO PUBLISHING | Wildlife Research

Main symptoms are disorientation and lethargy.

Yes; some birds may eat them but the risk isn't high.
Based on this finding and others, in 2008, the Australian Pesticides and Veterinary Medicines Authority Final Review Report and Regulatory Decision of Sodium Fluoroacetate concluded that although individual poisoning of non-target animals can occur, this does not adversely affect the overall population of the non-target wildlife – while still highly regulated, they allowed 1080 to continue to be used as a management tool for invasive species (and predator) control.

The science behind the claim - 1080 is no threat to native wildlife populations - PestSmart Connect

Greg

Actually, it takes a long time and is an agonizing death.

The cats need to be eradicated but, for a lot of reasons, 1080 is not the way to do it.

Time Taken to Die | 1080 Science

Forum List

Back