Australia and US reach deal to resettle asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus Island

Disir

Platinum Member
Sep 30, 2011
Australia and the US have reached a resettlement deal for asylum seekers held in offshore detention centres in Papua New Guinea and Nauru.

Under the agreement, the migrants there will be assessed and the most vulnerable will be resettled in the US.

About 1,200 people are being held in the asylum centres on Manus Island in Papua New Guinea and on Nauru island.

Australia's policy of sending migrants who arrive by boat to offshore facilities has been criticised.

Announcing the deal with the US on Sunday, Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull said the resettlement process would be gradual.

"US authorities will conduct their own assessment of refugees and decide which people are resettled in the US," he said.

He did not say how many refugees would be relocated, but said that women, children and families would be prioritised.
Australia and US reach deal to resettle asylum seekers on Nauru and Manus Island - BBC News

And they are supposed to be shutting these centers down.

Hell, I'd like to go live on a beautiful island in Papua New Guinea. Just give me internet and satellite tv.

I'd go to Papua New Guinea to profiteer from the guerrilla war against Exxon Mobile.

Not much other reason to go there though.

Hell, I'd like to go live on a beautiful island in Papua New Guinea. Just give me internet and satellite tv.

I'd go to Papua New Guinea to profiteer from the guerrilla war against Exxon Mobile.

Uh, yeah I could live here.

island-near-new-ireland-Papua-New-Guinea.jpg

Politically and culturally Papua New Guinea is an ugly place. It is a cesspool of corruption, a sandbox for abusive corporations, and a brewing ground for tribal conflict and civil war.

Just another failure of modern statism and western neoimperialism.

If I lived on a beautiful island in Papua New Guinea. The last thing I'd want is internet and satellite tv.

I really really really want to move to Ecuador and build a self-sufficient shipping container house on the ocean. Solar power, incinerator toilet, with a grey water recycling system, and a desalination system to use ocean water. You can buy an acre of beach front propert for around $10K, and build this house for around $40K. I'd probably get the entire outside sprayed with that special rubber coating though to keep it from getting rust from sea water in the air... so it would be a bit more expensive.

Containers-of-Hope-07-750x474.jpg

Containers of Hope, a $40,000 Home by Benjamin Garcia Saxe | HomeDSGN

Uh, yeah I could live here.

island-near-new-ireland-Papua-New-Guinea.jpg
Screen-Shot-2013-06-17-at-9.55.07-AM-300x222.png

They ar all midgets, I can take them! I'm more afraid of poison dart frogs.
rio-20-dolphins-whales-hunted-papua-new-guinea_57018_600x450.jpg

New Topics

Forum List

Back