Auschwitz Memorial director offers to serve sentence for Nigeria 'blasphemy' boy

Coyote

Varmint
Staff member
Gold Supporting Member
Apr 17, 2009
Canis Latrans
Blasphemy laws are archaic and often abused by malicious neighbors against minorities in religious countries. I thought this was kind of a cool response.

There is a good reason to separate church from government and these laws are a perfect example.

n a letter to President Buhari, Dr Cywinski wrote he was ready to share part of the boy's sentence.
"Regardless of what he said, he cannot be treated as fully aware and responsible, given his age.
"He should not be subjected to the loss of the entirety of his youth, be deprived of opportunities, and stigmatized physically, emotionally, and educationally for the rest of his life.
"However, if it turns out that the words of this child absolutely require 120 months of imprisonment, and even you are not able to change that, I suggest that in place of the child, 120 adult volunteers from all over the world, gathered by us - myself personally among them - should each serve a month in a Nigerian prison.
"In total, the price for the child's transgression will be the same, and we will all avoid the worst," Dr Cywinski wrote.
It is unusual for the Auschwitz Memorial to comment on such cases.

Blasphemy laws are archaic and often abused by malicious neighbors against minorities in religious countries. I thought this was kind of a cool response.

There is a good reason to separate church from government and these laws are a perfect example.

n a letter to President Buhari, Dr Cywinski wrote he was ready to share part of the boy's sentence.
"Regardless of what he said, he cannot be treated as fully aware and responsible, given his age.
"He should not be subjected to the loss of the entirety of his youth, be deprived of opportunities, and stigmatized physically, emotionally, and educationally for the rest of his life.
"However, if it turns out that the words of this child absolutely require 120 months of imprisonment, and even you are not able to change that, I suggest that in place of the child, 120 adult volunteers from all over the world, gathered by us - myself personally among them - should each serve a month in a Nigerian prison.
"In total, the price for the child's transgression will be the same, and we will all avoid the worst," Dr Cywinski wrote.

10 years?

That is very kind.

10 years?

That is very kind.
Islam is a blight on humanity. All of islams defenders own this shameful travesty of justice.

10 years?

That is very kind.
Islam is a blight on humanity. All of islams defenders own this shameful travesty of justice.

To say that you and others will do the time if they insist on penalizing a 13 year old boy is kind.

It's unfortunate that you don't see that. It's not about defending Islam.

10 years?

That is very kind.

To say that you and others will do the time if they insist on penalizing a 13 year old boy is kind.

I agree that it is tremendously kind, but my statement is still true.

10 years?

That is very kind.

I don't have any posts defending Islam.

10 years?

That is very kind.

I don't have any posts defending Islam.
I didnt say you did.

Forum List

Back