Attention, Runners!

DGS49

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2012
Pittsburgh
I am 70 years old. I was a distance runner for 35 years. I played tennis for 55 years. I have bowled, ridden bikes, hiked, lifted weights, stretched, played at Tai Chi and other things...all in a constant attempt to be as healthy as I could be, as long as I could. Now,

• My shoulders require 15 minutes of stretching and light activity before I can seriously exercise with my upper body.
  • Both hamstrings are essentially destroyed (while playing tennis ), and have shown no signs of recovery in over a year. Tennis is no longer an option, despite my skill and desire, which remain.
  • My RIGHT MIDDLE FINGER (the one with which I would make That Gesture, were I inclined to do so) has strained ligaments which forced me to a lighter bowling ball and a "no-lift" bowling style,
  • My right knee was damaged when stepping down off a curb on vacation last year (following a couple other minor injuries on the same joint). There is cartilage floating around in the joint that locks the knee when I fully straighten my leg - so I don't do that. My Ortho guy cannot see the cartilage and refuses to operate (again) on that knee for that reason.
Running anymore, of course, is out of the question. I could probably jog a bit, but I cannot accelerate (hamstrings) or stop (knee), and to be honest, every step is painful.

So I still do what would probably be considered "a lot of stuff" for a guy my age. I work out at the gym, do intervals on my stationary bike, golf, bowl, BUT running all those years really did a lot of damage to my knees (and hips). I really would not recommend distance running as a sole way of "staying in shape" over the long term. There is a good chance it will leave you a semi -invalid by the time you're 60 - which is not "old."

Interesting thanks for sharing that. What I noticed your history was 55 years of tennis. Is it possible your issues now are more due to tennis than running? The reason I ask is I personally know dozens of both runners and tennis players all over 50. What I have noticed is that most of the tennis players I know have had at least one joint replacement whereas most of the runners I know have not. I am 62 and began distance running after age 40. My knees are fine and the only problem is a right hip impingement that was not caused by running according to my doctor. Just my .02c.

I am 70 years old. I was a distance runner for 35 years. I played tennis for 55 years. I have bowled, ridden bikes, hiked, lifted weights, stretched, played at Tai Chi and other things...all in a constant attempt to be as healthy as I could be, as long as I could. Now,

• My shoulders require 15 minutes of stretching and light activity before I can seriously exercise with my upper body.
  • Both hamstrings are essentially destroyed (while playing tennis ), and have shown no signs of recovery in over a year. Tennis is no longer an option, despite my skill and desire, which remain.
  • My RIGHT MIDDLE FINGER (the one with which I would make That Gesture, were I inclined to do so) has strained ligaments which forced me to a lighter bowling ball and a "no-lift" bowling style,
  • My right knee was damaged when stepping down off a curb on vacation last year (following a couple other minor injuries on the same joint). There is cartilage floating around in the joint that locks the knee when I fully straighten my leg - so I don't do that. My Ortho guy cannot see the cartilage and refuses to operate (again) on that knee for that reason.
Running anymore, of course, is out of the question. I could probably jog a bit, but I cannot accelerate (hamstrings) or stop (knee), and to be honest, every step is painful.

So I still do what would probably be considered "a lot of stuff" for a guy my age. I work out at the gym, do intervals on my stationary bike, golf, bowl, BUT running all those years really did a lot of damage to my knees (and hips). I really would not recommend distance running as a sole way of "staying in shape" over the long term. There is a good chance it will leave you a semi -invalid by the time you're 60 - which is not "old."

There ain't no cheatin father time. Get used to it because you're going exactly where we all do, a hole in the ground and you have no more and no less control over how and when you get there than any of us do.

There ain't no cheatin father time. Get used to it because you're going exactly where we all do, a hole in the ground and you have no more and no less control over how and when you get there than any of us do.

Holy crap! What the hell was that?

Holy crap! What the hell was that?

Simple reality.

Forum List

Back