Attack the message....not the messenger

... also "ideally", the trolls and baiters who are only here for the brawl should be collecting ENOUGH WARNINGS -- so we can permanently move them off USMB with a clear conscience..

That is what has been missing, I have reported a lot of the SAME persons odious posts in the Environment forum the one full of hostile name calling, attacking the author and not be on topic at all, moderators would remove a bunch of them, but no evidence that the repeat violator person was warned or a time out for numerous repeated violations.

The chronic violator keeps right on going, thus I gave up reporting them to put the person on ignore instead. It gets frustrating when it doesn't stop.

I have mentioned this before but I wonder why it is allowed on here?......attack the message not the messenger is a golden rule of message boards going way back. Just common sense.

It seems about half the posts on this board are those who attack the messenger but ignore the message.

This board would be much better if such frivolous posts were deleted....just a waste of board space.

If you do not like the message eiher ignore it or attack the message .attacking the messenger is disruptive and non productive

I would like to see some mods weigh in on this.

This is real strange. Because EVERYTHING moderation does decides whether each post "attacks the message". It looks like this in the Posting Guidelines. And there's even a subpost there describing what "specific topical content" means..

Each post must contain significant and specific thread topic content to advance the discussion, in addition to any personal flame or snark. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

So if any post in Zone1 or Zone2 is "attacking the messenger" WITHOUT "attacking the topic" in the SAME post -- it's illegal and can be deleted or warned.. This is exactly why the rules and policies STRESS "topical content" in EVERY POST..

If the topical content is NOT THERE - - report these posts and they will be moderated. It's that simple.

We decided long ago not to become "flame checkers". We only want threads to STAY ON TOPIC and members to NOT focus solely on "attacking the messenger".. Sadly, it's getter harder to find adults willing to adhere to this simple ass concept..

The rule is not being enforced to my knowledge.

I have mentioned this before but I wonder why it is allowed on here?......attack the message not the messenger is a golden rule of message boards going way back. Just common sense.

It seems about half the posts on this board are those who attack the messenger but ignore the message.

This board would be much better if such frivolous posts were deleted....just a waste of board space.

If you do not like the message eiher ignore it or attack the message .attacking the messenger is disruptive and non productive

Go talk about it through the PM system with your favorite Moderator.

This is the feedback forum.

The reaction I see here is indicates to me that most think trying to improve this board is a waste of time and perhaps they are right.....yet since this is the feedback board it would be interesting to get some management reaction to the problem of attacking the messenger.

I can understand some of it but what you see too often is the same posters using this same fallacious response over and over.....not happy unless your source is some liberal msm site.

The purpose of a message board is to have discussion not to come on here and argue about sources.

I say again......if you do not like the message either ignore it or put up some argument to counter it. Do not waste board space whining about the messenger.

Ah. Wait a sec. You're talking about SOURCES. Well the fact is there are absolute crap sources on both sides. If you, the poster, pick crap sources - be prepared to defend them. A lot of folks aren't going to waste a good debate on an unsubstianted tweet from StellasCrystalBall.com.

Well, I do thank you for showing up and this is good....to have some discussion on this or any other topic.

Yes you are correct there are bad sources on the right and the left....yet even the national enquirer occasionally gets some scoops.

What I am actually talking about is not the source per se but the message and the messenger ...as in some...too many in fact will immediately attack the messenger no matter how accurate the message may be just because they do not like the message or are unable to deal with the message in a coherent and intellectual manner.

Again......the messenger is a poster who posts an article or story(the message) perhaps with some personal comments.

The news site or blog that posts the story written by someone else is also just a messenger....unless they add commentary to the story.

Thus some posters who do not like the message or are unable to respond to it in a credible manner take the easy way out.....they simply attack the source and or the messenger....attempting to debunk the message by attacking the messenger....and completely ignoring the message.

Another reason the messenger is attacked is to engage in censorship....aka if it is a conservative or rightwing source it is deemed automatically to be not credible with no consideration given to the message be it right or wrong.

Now the more astute may attack the messenger and the message because they have the intellectual ability to deal with the message.

In a nutshell the goal of a message board should be to enhance or encourage discussion....not just to come on here state your opinion, attack the messenger and run off.

That sort of thing just disrupts a thread and inhibits discussion.

We seriously should have a webinar on how to discuss. It's a lost art. We require everyone to stick to the topic in every post. But we also allow folks to push back on obvious baiting and trolling WHILE they demolish any assertions on the topic that they care to take the time to do.. This is handy because we ALLOW unpopular positions and token haters as members.

When you address their TOPICAL COMMENTS -- you win points. When you just go all personal -- you get warned..

For posters who are NOT ON TOPIC and only in threads to bait and attack -- IGNORE THEM.. These are actual trolls. And they are there to get YOU in trouble, unless like them -- you're only here to brawl..

No other way to RUN a discussion under these harsh absurd conditions. People who DONT WANT TO DISCUSS TOPICS -- really should not be here at all..

Set an example by focusing on the topics, whether you are the OP or not.. And just skip the juvenile horseshit..
Dear TheGreenHornet
I was going to add that the bigger the forum membership grows, the harder it is for Mods to keep up with demands. And there is no substitute for people learning from our own experiences to address the material and not derail by personally attacking people. Like the Golden Rule, which applies equally in Christianity as it does with Constitutional rights and exercise: Respecting others is the first step in compelling equal respect. Choosing to forgive wrongs in order to correct them by the rules cannot be enforced from outside, but only comes from internal choice and discipline. Only when members agree to comply with rules and standards consistently, by our own volition, does this create leverage to compel others to respect the same.

What flacaltenn posted is a great idea.
Of having a webinar on how to post, particular to keep threads intact and not feed trolls or take bait that derails anyone.

I know 2 different groups on FB also trying to maintain and train people in effective discussion without derailment.

It would be really cool to have an open webinar once every 1-3 months, let one moderator from each forum present, and let the other two add and consult in Q&A.
This would also promote USMB to SERIOUS people, as trolls would less likely participate in a serious Q&A on self moderation. I will ask the Mods from the other groups, and see if at least one Mod from each of their groups might join here and support a webinar on moderating political discussion without derailment.

Thanks!

Last edited:

The reaction I see here is indicates to me that most think trying to improve this board is a waste of time and perhaps they are right.....yet since this is the feedback board it would be interesting to get some management reaction to the problem of attacking the messenger.

I can understand some of it but what you see too often is the same posters using this same fallacious response over and over.....not happy unless your source is some liberal msm site.

The purpose of a message board is to have discussion not to come on here and argue about sources.

I say again......if you do not like the message either ignore it or put up some argument to counter it. Do not waste board space whining about the messenger.

Ah. Wait a sec. You're talking about SOURCES. Well the fact is there are absolute crap sources on both sides. If you, the poster, pick crap sources - be prepared to defend them. A lot of folks aren't going to waste a good debate on an unsubstianted tweet from StellasCrystalBall.com.

Well, I do thank you for showing up and this is good....to have some discussion on this or any other topic.

Yes you are correct there are bad sources on the right and the left....yet even the national enquirer occasionally gets some scoops.

What I am actually talking about is not the source per se but the message and the messenger ...as in some...too many in fact will immediately attack the messenger no matter how accurate the message may be just because they do not like the message or are unable to deal with the message in a coherent and intellectual manner.

Again......the messenger is a poster who posts an article or story(the message) perhaps with some personal comments.

The news site or blog that posts the story written by someone else is also just a messenger....unless they add commentary to the story.

Thus some posters who do not like the message or are unable to respond to it in a credible manner take the easy way out.....they simply attack the source and or the messenger....attempting to debunk the message by attacking the messenger....and completely ignoring the message.

Another reason the messenger is attacked is to engage in censorship....aka if it is a conservative or rightwing source it is deemed automatically to be not credible with no consideration given to the message be it right or wrong.

Now the more astute may attack the messenger and the message because they have the intellectual ability to deal with the message.

In a nutshell the goal of a message board should be to enhance or encourage discussion....not just to come on here state your opinion, attack the messenger and run off.

That sort of thing just disrupts a thread and inhibits discussion.

We seriously should have a webinar on how to discuss. It's a lost art. We require everyone to stick to the topic in every post. But we also allow folks to push back on obvious baiting and trolling WHILE they demolish any assertions on the topic that they care to take the time to do.. This is handy because we ALLOW unpopular positions and token haters as members.

When you address their TOPICAL COMMENTS -- you win points. When you just go all personal -- you get warned..

For posters who are NOT ON TOPIC and only in threads to bait and attack -- IGNORE THEM.. These are actual trolls. And they are there to get YOU in trouble, unless like them -- you're only here to brawl..

No other way to RUN a discussion under these harsh absurd conditions. People who DONT WANT TO DISCUSS TOPICS -- really should not be here at all..

Set an example by focusing on the topics, whether you are the OP or not.. And just skip the juvenile horseshit..
Dear TheGreenHornet
I was going to add that the bigger the forum membership grows, the harder it is for Mods to keep up with demands. And there is no substitute for people learning from our own experiences to address the material and not derail by personally attacking people. Like the Golden Rule, which applies equally in Christianity as it does with Constitutional rights and exercise: Respecting others is the first step in compelling equal respect. Choosing to forgive wrongs in order to correct them by the rules cannot be enforced from outside, but only comes from internal choice and discipline. Only when members agree to comply with rules and standards consistently, by our own volition, does this create leverage to compel others to respect the same.

What flacaltenn posted is a great idea.
Of having a webinar on how to post, particular to keep threads intact and not feed trolls or take bait that derails anyone.

I know 2 different groups on FB also trying to maintain and train people in effective discussion without derailment.

It would be really cool to have an open webinar once every 1-3 months, let one moderator from each forum present, and let the other two add and consult in Q&A.
This would also promote USMB to SERIOUS people, as trolls would less likely participate in a serious Q&A on self moderation. I will ask the Mods from the other groups, and see if at least one Mod from each of their groups might join here and support a webinar on moderating political discussion without derailment.

Thanks!

You have some good ideas.....as the msm and others continue to whittle away at our freedom of speech the internet is the best place to get the truth now.

Well-run message boards provide a great service to patriots.

The problem about sources I see is that sources are not the problem....the problem I think is posters that try to use the source to dis-credit a message. That is fallacious.

If you have a problem with a message......attack the message not the source or the messenger.

To illustrate....certain posters do not like conservative news sites.....and thus anytime someone posts a link from a conservative site they will attack that source aka the messenger.

On the other hand many posters (with good reason) do not like msm and especially cnn the home of fake news.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion.....but merely to attack a source aka the messenger....is not a legitmate method to deal with the message.

Analyze and attack the message as you please and in the process it is even legitimate to also attack the source....but to come on here .....as we see to often...and merely say that newsite lies, or that newsite is a joke etc. and then run off without even attempting to deal with the message....that is the problem.

Well to be fair the mods do have the clean debate section.but you have a point,most sites I know of they allow you to attack the message not the messenger.

... also "ideally", the trolls and baiters who are only here for the brawl should be collecting ENOUGH WARNINGS -- so we can permanently move them off USMB with a clear conscience..

That is what has been missing, I have reported a lot of the SAME persons odious posts in the Environment forum the one full of hostile name calling, attacking the author and not be on topic at all, moderators would remove a bunch of them, but no evidence that the repeat violator person was warned or a time out for numerous repeated violations.

The chronic violator keeps right on going, thus I gave up reporting them to put the person on ignore instead. It gets frustrating when it doesn't stop.

They probably DID get warned at one or more of those times. Bans are automatic on number of warnings in too short a time period. Or bans can be imposed by mod discretion if the poster has a history of the same ignoring of the rules.

You wont see the thread bans or the warnings, but it's clear when a member is out on ban..

The source should be attacked if the source is OANN, Newsmax or even the Kos in my opinion...

Now with that written let me be clear CNN, MSNNBC and FOX have at times ran stories that should be questioned about their slant but when a poster deliberately keep on posting from sources that are consider fake or slanted then I apologize the poster will be attacked...

Always attack the source FIRST and use the flame to ridicule WHILE you're doing it.. It's easy.. Tear the source to bits if it deserves it.. Most "journalism" today is as ranty as the members of USMB..

And "prestigious" institutions of journalism DESERVE to be attacked when they abuse their profession and credentials.. All they are doing is fueling the wars that come to these boards.

Biggest trolls around are journals and primary media sources now-a-days... DOnt IGNORE this.. Dont ALLOW it to stand. Argue with the mental midgets that should have their journalism degrees and press credentials revoked. Much more productive than flaming USMB in their mommie's basement..

This is real strange. Because EVERYTHING moderation does decides whether each post "attacks the message". It looks like this in the Posting Guidelines. And there's even a subpost there describing what "specific topical content" means..

Each post must contain significant and specific thread topic content to advance the discussion, in addition to any personal flame or snark. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

So if any post in Zone1 or Zone2 is "attacking the messenger" WITHOUT "attacking the topic" in the SAME post -- it's illegal and can be deleted or warned.. This is exactly why the rules and policies STRESS "topical content" in EVERY POST..

If the topical content is NOT THERE - - report these posts and they will be moderated. It's that simple.

We decided long ago not to become "flame checkers". We only want threads to STAY ON TOPIC and members to NOT focus solely on "attacking the messenger".. Sadly, it's getter harder to find adults willing to adhere to this simple ass concept..

You dont see it enforced, because mod staff deletes, warns, closes and move threads and thread bans all day long. But there's no tools to make this visible to the members. The only thing the members see is when members go out on bans -- either temporary or permanent. And you might catch wind of when a thread fails and goes to Badlands if you're really attention.

Mod staff works TOO hard. Maybe what you want is to see folks go out on 3 or 5 day bans EVERYTIME we delete a single post.. But if we DID THAT -- only 1/2 of you would BE HERE on any given day.. Not joking about that. It's gotten that bad.

You feeling lucky?? Ask yourself if you'd like to see automatic bans on EVERY illegal post.. I wish we had the membership that would all say Yay to that -- but there's only about 15% of you that would be here for more than 4 days in a row...

Besides, when we warn, there's a counseling in PM. I'm sure the mods would LOVE to skip that step and just leave it up to the offender as to why they got banned twice in the last 2 weeks...

It's too noisy and juvenile to be that thorough unless we wanted to shed more than 1/2 of the members here..

I will conclude these remarks with the fact that this board is one of the better ones concerning free speech....which is the only thing that keeps me here.
Where there is freedom of speech and anonymity, puerility is rampant. Trolls are pleased with themselves when they express their cuteness with meaningless one liners and ad hominem attacks. It is human nature.
I stopped grumbling by and large. I don't even know why we have mods.
You prefer anarchy?
I doubt we have enough moderators to read every single post made here. Add too many moderators and you increase the likelihood that free speech will be curtailed unless they all consistently follow only the posting rules regarding relevance to the thread topic and prohibiting of personal attacks, threats of physical harm, and a few others that have little to do with free speech. Moderators are just like the rest of us in regard to bias. The bell curve applies to all of us. I appreciate that our moderators are free to reply in threads and quite often do so, without attempting to hide their bias.

We do have the CDZ that is more heavily moderated and more conducive to on-topic discussions lasting more than a few replies before going off the rails.

I think the serious users here would benefit from following the advice of the moderators when encountering abusive or rule-bending replies. REPORT THE POST! DO NOT REPLY TO THE POST! Our retaliatory replies to an adolescent post only encourages more of the same. I'm guilty of doing this myself and realize all too well how difficult it is to refrain from punching back or admonishing a childish, anonymous asshole. Many of them do it because they relish thinking that they "triggered' you. (That was their goal.) Let the moderators or the sitebot deal with them.

You prefer anarchy?

I'd prefer neutral arbitrators who enforce the rules.

Case in point. Once I was on a thread with several people including a mod. I jumped in on like page 2. In one evening we got to page 5. This mod had like 15 posts after I joined in. The next day, a post I made on page 2 was cited and I was thread banned. Now the mod had commented on the post that I was ultimately banned for. Not a word about it from her/him. Another mod looks at it and its deleted.

And no, I don't plan on researching it to find it.

They probably DID get warned at one or more of those times. Bans are automatic on number of warnings in too short a time period. Or bans can be imposed by mod discretion if the poster has a history of the same ignoring of the rules.

You wont see the thread bans or the warnings, but it's clear when a member is out on ban..

I have noticed he has quiet periods at times, maybe he was suspended? but I have no idea if that happened, maybe he is like Old Rocks and Crick who are gone for a few weeks then suddenly show up post a few then run off for a while.....

A coupla thoughts:

In this country we have freedom of speech, the cancel culture not withstanding. I do not believe the USMB want any part of that, and so they try very hard to respect the former and avoid the latter. The upshot is that in many cases a poster can be an asshole as long as his/her post is relevant to the topic. The too bad part is, sometimes you gotta accept that someone else has the right to say what they think even if it is diametrically opposed to what you think is right or truth, and they have a certain amount of latitude to be uncivil about it. Freedom means other people get to be free too. So, what to do about it?

1. Ignore the bastards. Use the Ignore option if you want to, or make a habit of checking who the poster is before you read it. If you don't have the person on Ignore and you read his/her post anyway, whose fault is that? It's not like you can't tell who is who, they kinda make themselves obvious. If you let the person get to you and royally piss you off, then you're letting that person rent space in your mind and screw with your emotions. Do not let anyone control you.

2. Clean Debate Zone. It's mentioned above, use it for a cleaner discussion.

3. Debate Now Forum. In there you get to invite whoever you want to talk to and you can exclude the buttholes. PM some people that you think can contribute something without getting offensive, and set up your own mini-group. I would advise you to include people that do not agree with you, otherwise all you've got is an echo chamber. They ain't all neandethals. Maybe.

4. If somebody is really getting to you, flame their ass but do it in the Flame Zone where it's legal. Don't blow up your thread or someone else's. Not cool. Sometimes I gotta get up and walk away from the computer so I don't write something I'll regret. Do not lower yourself to someone else's level. You're better than that, if you wanna be.

The source should be attacked if the source is OANN, Newsmax or even the Kos in my opinion...

Now with that written let me be clear CNN, MSNNBC and FOX have at times ran stories that should be questioned about their slant but when a poster deliberately keep on posting from sources that are consider fake or slanted then I apologize the poster will be attacked...

Always attack the source FIRST and use the flame to ridicule WHILE you're doing it.. It's easy.. Tear the source to bits if it deserves it.. Most "journalism" today is as ranty as the members of USMB..

And "prestigious" institutions of journalism DESERVE to be attacked when they abuse their profession and credentials.. All they are doing is fueling the wars that come to these boards.

Biggest trolls around are journals and primary media sources now-a-days... DOnt IGNORE this.. Dont ALLOW it to stand. Argue with the mental midgets that should have their journalism degrees and press credentials revoked. Much more productive than flaming USMB in their mommie's basement..

Why I am laughing is because flaming the mental midgets of the media does little to stop them from their propaganda and those that control MSM controls the mass...

Here is my issue and it is journalism is dead and what many use is blogs and propaganda mouth pieces that fit their opinion and for me I search for the truth and never for what suit my opinion because I want to be proven wrong but today News Sources are just pathetic jokes...

Now with that written individuals that post anywhere should be mindful of their sources and it slants and also they shouldn’t repeat themselves over and over like many do.

Notice one thing about me and I never post a source unless I am comfortable with it and know the source is strong and will never use a known propaganda site or a journalist that is known to be a partisan whore for any side...

Oh well the fact is this board has it stupidity and nothing will change...

You prefer anarchy?

I'd prefer neutral arbitrators who enforce the rules.

Case in point. Once I was on a thread with several people including a mod. I jumped in on like page 2. In one evening we got to page 5. This mod had like 15 posts after I joined in. The next day, a post I made on page 2 was cited and I was thread banned. Now the mod had commented on the post that I was ultimately banned for. Not a word about it from her/him. Another mod looks at it and its deleted.

And no, I don't plan on researching it to find it.

Everyone at USMB - "jumps into threads" - including moderators. Most of the time I just go back to threads thru whatever alerts I receive. Moderators like everyone else have no obligation to read thru page by page EVERY thread they visit.

It only after we find an infraction, we start looking around that general vicinity for others. Because we KNOW -- there's hardly ever just ONE illegal post in a convo...

So it MIGHT have hit the radar the day after.. Just because a mod is here doesn't mean they are actively moderating. We're here to be members. Wouldn't ever take this job otherwise..

Sometimes it is. But if you don't report it, you can't really complain. There aren't enough mods here to cover such a large forum.

New Topics

Forum List

Back