Attack the message....not the messenger

I have mentioned this before but I wonder why it is allowed on here?......attack the message not the messenger is a golden rule of message boards going way back. Just common sense.

It seems about half the posts on this board are those who attack the messenger but ignore the message.

This board would be much better if such frivolous posts were deleted....just a waste of board space.

If you do not like the message eiher ignore it or attack the message .attacking the messenger is disruptive and non productive

I would like to see some mods weigh in on this.

Go talk about it through the PM system with your favorite Moderator.

This is the feedback forum.

The reaction I see here is indicates to me that most think trying to improve this board is a waste of time and perhaps they are right.....yet since this is the feedback board it would be interesting to get some management reaction to the problem of attacking the messenger.

I can understand some of it but what you see too often is the same posters using this same fallacious response over and over.....not happy unless your source is some liberal msm site.

The purpose of a message board is to have discussion not to come on here and argue about sources.

I say again......if you do not like the message either ignore it or put up some argument to counter it. Do not waste board space whining about the messenger.

The Mods are not going to have long discussion over this in public, that is why I suggested the PM system.

True....they need to be more transparent....the message they send out whether intentional or not is one of me vs. you aka moderation vs. posters.....now I understand where they are coming from....it is a lot of work trying to manage a message board, trying to find good moderators who are willing to work for free etc.

However....I think good frank and honest discussions regarding a lot of matters and especially disciplinary procedures aka deleting posts, moving posts, etc. would be of benefit to everyone....lots of good posters have left here because of a perceived attitude of arrogancy on the part of the staff.

I am considering leaving myself because some of my posts are being deleted and no reason given nor even a notice they have been deleted not even to mention all the posts that have been moved.....sometimes for good reasons sometimes for not good reasons.

All I am saying is essentially this....neither side ...aka moderators or posters are always right....thus I think more transparency is called for and especially what is needed is a method to appeal unfair actions on the part of the staff...I have seen boards that do have that and it is a good thing.

Now watch this post disappear very quickly...hehheh

I will conclude these remarks with the fact that this board is one of the better ones concerning free speech....which is the only thing that keeps me here.

P.S. Many of us are alarmed by where this nation seems to be headed regarding free speech and most especially the demonizing of conservatives....it is really disgusting how the msm continues to propagandize and how conservatives have difficulty responding to these totalitarian actions simply because the T.V. news (where most folks get their news) is dominated by the democrats and their running dogs.

I speak with a lot of Moderation experience, currently Moderating two large blogs, one being the world largest science blog. Have moderated 4 of my own forums in the past, not big ones but still more experience to garner. I learned early on NOT to discuss moderator actions with someone who is aggrieved or request an explanation in public, better to use the PM system that is where Mods will respond to polite requests.

You write:

However....I think good frank and honest discussions regarding a lot of matters and especially disciplinary procedures aka deleting posts, moving posts, etc. would be of benefit to everyone....lots of good posters have left here because of a perceived attitude of arrogancy on the part of the staff.

Moderators are NOT going to explain their decisions to the public, that is standard behavior in forums. If you or anyone see a post vanish or get moved go ask the mods in the PM section, but ONLY if it is really important. I have had a few posts get deleted, I just shrug and go on without complaining because I accept it by default.

There have been too many complaints about posts getting deleted, they come here to whine about it and sometimes even demand explanation in public, the thread gets shut down. Too many people complain about standard moderation actions which is their problem not the mods who know the rules to defend.

Last edited:
I have mentioned this before but I wonder why it is allowed on here?......attack the message not the messenger is a golden rule of message boards going way back. Just common sense.

It seems about half the posts on this board are those who attack the messenger but ignore the message.

This board would be much better if such frivolous posts were deleted....just a waste of board space.

If you do not like the message eiher ignore it or attack the message .attacking the messenger is disruptive and non productive

The reaction I see here is indicates to me that most think trying to improve this board is a waste of time and perhaps they are right.....yet since this is the feedback board it would be interesting to get some management reaction to the problem of attacking the messenger.

I can understand some of it but what you see too often is the same posters using this same fallacious response over and over.....not happy unless your source is some liberal msm site.

The purpose of a message board is to have discussion not to come on here and argue about sources.

I say again......if you do not like the message either ignore it or put up some argument to counter it. Do not waste board space whining about the messenger.

The Mods are not going to have long discussion over this in public, that is why I suggested the PM system.

True....they need to be more transparent....the message they send out whether intentional or not is one of me vs. you aka moderation vs. posters.....now I understand where they are coming from....it is a lot of work trying to manage a message board, trying to find good moderators who are willing to work for free etc.

I am considering leaving myself because some of my posts are being deleted and no reason given nor even a notice they have been deleted not even to mention all the posts that have been moved.....sometimes for good reasons sometimes for not good reasons.

All I am saying is essentially this....neither side ...aka moderators or posters are always right....thus I think more transparency is called for and especially what is needed is a method to appeal unfair actions on the part of the staff...I have seen boards that do have that and it is a good thing.

I will conclude these remarks with the fact that this board is one of the better ones concerning free speech....which is the only thing that keeps me here.

P.S. Many of us are alarmed by where this nation seems to be headed regarding free speech and most especially the demonizing of conservatives....it is really disgusting how the msm continues to propagandize and how conservatives have difficulty responding to these totalitarian actions simply because the T.V. news (where most folks get their news) is dominated by the democrats and their running dogs.

I speak with a lot of Moderation experience, currently Moderating two large blogs, one being the world largest science blog. Have moderated 4 of my own forums in the past, not big ones but still more experience to garner. I learned early on NOT to discuss moderator actions with someone who is aggrieved or request an explanation in public, better to use the PM system that is where Mods will respond to polite requests.

You write:

Moderators are NOT going to explain their decisions to the public, that is standard behavior in forums. If you or anyone see a post vanish or get moved go ask the mods in the PM section, but ONLY if it is really important. I have had a few posts get deleted, I just shrug and go on without complaining because I accept it by default.

There have been too many complaints about posts getting deleted, they come here to whine about it and sometimes even demand explanation in public, the thread gets shut down. Too many people complain about standard moderation actions which is their problem not the mods who know the rules to defend.

Well, of course I do not expect them to engage in this discussion....though Falcateen would on occasion....the best mod i have ever seen.

However, why not? This stuff we talk about should not be taboo....yet it is ....o.,k. maybe a few mods might get embarassed or made to look bad....so what?

Nothing to lose any sleep over.....maybe its just that they feel like working for free they should not have to deal with any criticism.

Maybe mods are hard to find and the powers that be do not want any of them to get offended and then quit.

Anyhow....I may be way out of line....and not knowing all the intracies and problems of moderating I could be entirely wrong regarding my perceptions and ideas on how to improve things.

I am just not one that is afraid to speak up nor do i care whether I get banned or not.....a message board is no big deal....well perhaps to some that have no life.

In a nutshell I just like to stir things up. hehheh

You write:

Well, of course I do not expect them to engage in this discussion....though Falcateen would on occasion....the best mod i have ever seen.

However, why not? This stuff we talk about should not be taboo....yet it is ....o.,k. maybe a few mods might get embarassed or made to look bad....so what?

Nothing to lose any sleep over.....maybe its just that they feel like working for free they should not have to deal with any criticism.

Maybe mods are hard to find and the powers that be do not want any of them to get offended and then quit.

Anyhow....I may be way out of line....and not knowing all the intracies and problems of moderating I could be entirely wrong regarding my perceptions and ideas on how to improve things.

I am just not one that is afraid to speak up nor do i care whether I get banned or not.....a message board is no big deal....well perhaps to some that have no life.

In a nutshell I just like to stir things up. hehheh

I am a Moderator in a large blog who isn't known to the regular members because the owner of the blog doesn't want moderators known, this is to prevent conflicts between the mods and the members.

That is how comfortable it is for the Mods because they don't have to deal with the whining baloney from the members. The mod team is top of the line, the best I have seen anywhere which is why the blog runs well despite a lot of viewpoints that clashes.

So far you haven't stirred anything up.... because there is nothing to get stirred up over.

:cool:

Totally agree. Posts that totally resort to a personal attack on the member drag a thread into the gutter. That's why we require some content on the topic in the post. Problem is - we don't always see it. It's helpful to report it.

Ah. Wait a sec. You're talking about SOURCES. Well the fact is there are absolute crap sources on both sides. If you, the poster, pick crap sources - be prepared to defend them. A lot of folks aren't going to waste a good debate on an unsubstianted tweet from StellasCrystalBall.com.

Ah. Wait a sec. You're talking about SOURCES. Well the fact is there are absolute crap sources on both sides. If you, the poster, pick crap sources - be prepared to defend them. A lot of folks aren't going to waste a good debate on an unsubstianted tweet from StellasCrystalBall.com.

The source should be attacked if the source is OANN, Newsmax or even the Kos in my opinion...

Now with that written let me be clear CNN, MSNNBC and FOX have at times ran stories that should be questioned about their slant but when a poster deliberately keep on posting from sources that are consider fake or slanted then I apologize the poster will be attacked...

The source should be attacked if the source is OANN, Newsmax or even the Kos in my opinion...

Now with that written let me be clear CNN, MSNNBC and FOX have at times ran stories that should be questioned about their slant but when a poster deliberately keep on posting from sources that are consider fake or slanted then I apologize the poster will be attacked...

No you either attack the claims of the article or ignore it.

It’s too easy to personalize posts. I get we are all human, but sometimes people lead with flamethrowers...

Well, I do thank you for showing up and this is good....to have some discussion on this or any other topic.

Yes you are correct there are bad sources on the right and the left....yet even the national enquirer occasionally gets some scoops.

What I am actually talking about is not the source per se but the message and the messenger ...as in some...too many in fact will immediately attack the messenger no matter how accurate the message may be just because they do not like the message or are unable to deal with the message in a coherent and intellectual manner.

Again......the messenger is a poster who posts an article or story(the message) perhaps with some personal comments.

The news site or blog that posts the story written by someone else is also just a messenger....unless they add commentary to the story.

Thus some posters who do not like the message or are unable to respond to it in a credible manner take the easy way out.....they simply attack the source and or the messenger....attempting to debunk the message by attacking the messenger....and completely ignoring the message.

Another reason the messenger is attacked is to engage in censorship....aka if it is a conservative or rightwing source it is deemed automatically to be not credible with no consideration given to the message be it right or wrong.

Now the more astute may attack the messenger and the message because they have the intellectual ability to deal with the message.

In a nutshell the goal of a message board should be to enhance or encourage discussion....not just to come on here state your opinion, attack the messenger and run off.

That sort of thing just disrupts a thread and inhibits discussion.

Well, I do thank you for showing up and this is good....to have some discussion on this or any other topic.

Yes you are correct there are bad sources on the right and the left....yet even the national enquirer occasionally gets some scoops.

What I am actually talking about is not the source per se but the message and the messenger ...as in some...too many in fact will immediately attack the messenger no matter how accurate the message may be just because they do not like the message or are unable to deal with the message in a coherent and intellectual manner.

Again......the messenger is a poster who posts an article or story(the message) perhaps with some personal comments.

The news site or blog that posts the story written by someone else is also just a messenger....unless they add commentary to the story.

Thus some posters who do not like the message or are unable to respond to it in a credible manner take the easy way out.....they simply attack the source and or the messenger....attempting to debunk the message by attacking the messenger....and completely ignoring the message.

Another reason the messenger is attacked is to engage in censorship....aka if it is a conservative or rightwing source it is deemed automatically to be not credible with no consideration given to the message be it right or wrong.

Now the more astute may attack the messenger and the message because they have the intellectual ability to deal with the message.

In a nutshell the goal of a message board should be to enhance or encourage discussion....not just to come on here state your opinion, attack the messenger and run off.

The reason why someone would get attacked is how they write their thread and what I mean is you have threads where you are clearly trolling the left for a negative response when you write about how Joe Biden has dementia or stole the election but then complain about being attacked...

So you should consider the fact that maybe the reason why you are being abused so much is because of what you have written while linking the news article you want others to read and Gatewaypundit is as credible as Kos which neither are credible but just click bait sites to give their political slant on things that cater to their readers...

When my posts are removed, I usually get an alert with a generic reason for it, which I usually grumble about in PM.

There ARE other boards.

If you don't like this board?

JUMP OFF!

I've never seen a forum where the messenger is not attacked. So if you wish to avoid that, I suggest you quit forums.

When my posts are removed, I usually get an alert with a generic reason for it, which I usually grumble about in PM.
I stopped grumbling by and large. I don't even know why we have mods.

P.S. Many of us are alarmed by where this nation seems to be headed regarding free speech and most especially the demonizing of conservatives....it is really disgusting how the msm continues to propagandize and how conservatives have difficulty responding to these totalitarian actions simply because the T.V. news (where most folks get their news) is dominated by the democrats and their running dogs

All things the Qult45 should have thought of before shooting off their stupid maws.

This is real strange. Because EVERYTHING moderation does decides whether each post "attacks the message". It looks like this in the Posting Guidelines. And there's even a subpost there describing what "specific topical content" means..

Each post must contain significant and specific thread topic content to advance the discussion, in addition to any personal flame or snark. No trolling. No hit and run flames. No hijacking or derailing threads.

So if any post in Zone1 or Zone2 is "attacking the messenger" WITHOUT "attacking the topic" in the SAME post -- it's illegal and can be deleted or warned.. This is exactly why the rules and policies STRESS "topical content" in EVERY POST..

If the topical content is NOT THERE - - report these posts and they will be moderated. It's that simple.

We decided long ago not to become "flame checkers". We only want threads to STAY ON TOPIC and members to NOT focus solely on "attacking the messenger".. Sadly, it's getter harder to find adults willing to adhere to this simple ass concept..

We seriously should have a webinar on how to discuss. It's a lost art. We require everyone to stick to the topic in every post. But we also allow folks to push back on obvious baiting and trolling WHILE they demolish any assertions on the topic that they care to take the time to do.. This is handy because we ALLOW unpopular positions and token haters as members.

When you address their TOPICAL COMMENTS -- you win points. When you just go all personal -- you get warned..

For posters who are NOT ON TOPIC and only in threads to bait and attack -- IGNORE THEM.. These are actual trolls. And they are there to get YOU in trouble, unless like them -- you're only here to brawl..

No other way to RUN a discussion under these harsh absurd conditions. People who DONT WANT TO DISCUSS TOPICS -- really should not be here at all..

Set an example by focusing on the topics, whether you are the OP or not.. And just skip the juvenile horseshit..

New Topics

Forum List

Back