Attack the message....not the messenger

I stopped grumbling by and large. I don't even know why we have mods.
You prefer anarchy?

I'd prefer neutral arbitrators who enforce the rules.

Case in point. Once I was on a thread with several people including a mod. I jumped in on like page 2. In one evening we got to page 5. This mod had like 15 posts after I joined in. The next day, a post I made on page 2 was cited and I was thread banned. Now the mod had commented on the post that I was ultimately banned for. Not a word about it from her/him. Another mod looks at it and its deleted.

And no, I don't plan on researching it to find it.

Everyone at USMB - "jumps into threads" - including moderators. Most of the time I just go back to threads thru whatever alerts I receive. Moderators like everyone else have no obligation to read thru page by page EVERY thread they visit.

It only after we find an infraction, we start looking around that general vicinity for others. Because we KNOW -- there's hardly ever just ONE illegal post in a convo...

So it MIGHT have hit the radar the day after.. Just because a mod is here doesn't mean they are actively moderating. We're here to be members. Wouldn't ever take this job otherwise..
As long as you're here, who do you report a mod to, who trolls as a "member?"
Hope you're doing well.

You prefer anarchy?

Case in point. Once I was on a thread with several people including a mod. I jumped in on like page 2. In one evening we got to page 5. This mod had like 15 posts after I joined in. The next day, a post I made on page 2 was cited and I was thread banned. Now the mod had commented on the post that I was ultimately banned for. Not a word about it from her/him. Another mod looks at it and its deleted.

Everyone at USMB - "jumps into threads" - including moderators. Most of the time I just go back to threads thru whatever alerts I receive. Moderators like everyone else have no obligation to read thru page by page EVERY thread they visit.

It only after we find an infraction, we start looking around that general vicinity for others. Because we KNOW -- there's hardly ever just ONE illegal post in a convo...

So it MIGHT have hit the radar the day after.. Just because a mod is here doesn't mean they are actively moderating. We're here to be members. Wouldn't ever take this job otherwise..
Hope you're doing well.
Not speaking for flacaltenn , but I recommend you send a PM copied to ALL MODERATORS, naming your defendant and providing quotations wherein the alleged trolling took place. Copy me too, so I can be the impartial tie-breaker in case of a hung jury. :wink:

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.
Not speaking for flacaltenn , but I recommend you send a PM copied to ALL MODERATORS, naming your defendant and providing quotations wherein the alleged trolling took place. Copy me too, so I can be the impartial tie-breaker in case of a hung jury. :wink:
Tad nosy?

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.
Tad nosy?
Nope...jes tryin' tuh hepya out. Whichaway didja come in?

Last edited:
You prefer anarchy?

Being a Moderator is a lot of work, especially in forums with a lot of people who lack decent debating skills.

In the Blogs places I moderate sometimes tell people that your inability to stay on topic and be reasonably civil waste my time as a member of the blogs.

Mods don't try to explain their actions to people in PM's partly because they don't have the time, they want to get back to being a member instead.

The happiest Mods are the ones who don't have to moderate anything.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

If you really think this is necessary, suggest you go to the Senior Moderator in the PM since this forum foolishly doesn't have a site Administrator to bother about this serious allegation.

I did that last October in a PM in a forum far away, got a reply in December that I considered absurd, decided I can't trust that Moderator as he was guilty as hell for his obvious rule breaking activities. I have stopped posting there ever since.

That Moderator became a mod early last year despite a long list of forum rules infractions to his name.... :cuckoo:

Last edited:
I have mentioned this before but I wonder why it is allowed on here?......attack the message not the messenger is a golden rule of message boards going way back. Just common sense.

It seems about half the posts on this board are those who attack the messenger but ignore the message.

This board would be much better if such frivolous posts were deleted....just a waste of board space.

If you do not like the message eiher ignore it or attack the message .attacking the messenger is disruptive and non productive

I would like to see some mods weigh in on this.

Go talk about it through the PM system with your favorite Moderator.

This is the feedback forum.

The reaction I see here is indicates to me that most think trying to improve this board is a waste of time and perhaps they are right.....yet since this is the feedback board it would be interesting to get some management reaction to the problem of attacking the messenger.

I can understand some of it but what you see too often is the same posters using this same fallacious response over and over.....not happy unless your source is some liberal msm site.

The purpose of a message board is to have discussion not to come on here and argue about sources.

I say again......if you do not like the message either ignore it or put up some argument to counter it. Do not waste board space whining about the messenger.

Much of the stupidity is on the politics board.

As near as I can tell it is confirmational bias and therapy for many.

But a waste of time for the rest.

I am looking other boards to join where the maggots get kicked off quickly.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

If it's me you're reporting send it
You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

If that troll is me -- send it to FFSock. He's my personal attorney on the board. But otherwise, include at least 2 mods and one preferably should be a Senior Mod..

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

If that troll is me -- send it to FFSock. He's my personal attorney on the board. But otherwise, include at least 2 mods and one preferably should be a Senior Mod..
Of course it's not you. You get worked up, but you're no troll.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

How do you know? He might be 'Unkotare', or Mortimer, or you for that matter.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

I'm just cursed with a preference for taking everything seriously. It's not "worked up" -- it's more situational awareness..

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

You prefer anarchy?

Hope you're doing well.

Only poster that ever reported you was Bruce T Laney and he was banished to Banned Camp...

( Kidding )

Who are senior mods these days?
FCT and DTMB the only 2? (I say "only" because FCT is semi-retired)

Forum List

Back