athletes are getting faster and stronger

Athletes today are bigger, faster and stronger than when I was a kid.
In Football, Offensive Linemen used to be 260-270 now they are 315+ and much faster
In Baseball, I remember Pitchers threw fastballs in the low 90s. A very few could occasionally top 100 mph but not accurately. Today every team has guys who routinely throw over 100
Kickers in Football were not accurate beyond 40 yards and might kick one or two a year over 50. Today, most are deadly inside of 45 and might kick two 50+ yarders in a game

It has been going on for a while. Mark Spitz won 7 gold medal in swimming in the 1972 Olympic games. 12 years later his times would not have qualified him for the team.

Starting earlier, and more advanced training techniques.

But don't forget the role of technology. Better shoes, computer analysis of movements, better equipment.

Consider this: As the best keep getting better while the average performer stays at the same level, THAT INCREASES INEQUALITY! And we all know that "inequality" is bad.

Starting earlier, and more advanced training techniques.

But don't forget the role of technology. Better shoes, computer analysis of movements, better equipment.

Consider this: As the best keep getting better while the average performer stays at the same level, THAT INCREASES INEQUALITY! And we all know that "inequality" is bad.

Inequality is bad. But this is about working hard to accomplish something.

Athletes today are bigger, faster and stronger than when I was a kid.
In Football, Offensive Linemen used to be 260-270 now they are 315+ and much faster
In Baseball, I remember Pitchers threw fastballs in the low 90s. A very few could occasionally top 100 mph but not accurately. Today every team has guys who routinely throw over 100
Kickers in Football were not accurate beyond 40 yards and might kick one or two a year over 50. Today, most are deadly inside of 45 and might kick two 50+ yarders in a game
In Baseball though, todays' pitchers have the velocity at higher numbers but they only pitch for 6 innings as starters or so. A few decades ago or a little longer, pitchers pitched 9 innings. And they pitched more often as we move back year by year. pitchers were also more intimidating. Hitting someone with a pitch was a message let alone brush back pitches. Today there are brawls for brush back pitches. The show has been to much individualized. It is tiresome watching players watch their batted balls taking flight as they move in slow motion after a few seconds of self appreciation. And to many times the ball they hit did not end up what they expect. Games are lost. Playoff games changed. And positions in playoffs can be different over a course of the season. It was better when we paid one tenth of what we do now.

Forum List

Back